Profile for S. Baron > Reviews

Content by S. Baron

S. Baron "Baron" (Bath UK)

The Vigil
The Vigil

2.0 out of 5 stars Where has the creativity gone, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Vigil (Audio CD)
I am a massive fan of Ckick Corea, having most of his albums since the early 70s. He is, without any doubt, one of the most creative musings of his era. This album will not form part of his historic works. It's has the same masterfull musicianship from all invoice, except for mz Moran, but the album is lacking commitment. Has a bass player, I am a big fan of Hadrien Feraud but he disappears into background on this album, and even Stan Clarke cannot breakthough the lack luster arrangement. Gone are the melodies of Spain, or the incredible works of Return to Forever. I can only imagine that the album was rushed. The later live tracks do not have the individuality I expect from Chick Corea.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a good album, great musicians playing jazz what could be bad, and I have played it many times since I received it, via the excellent amazon app. In future years if I want to listen to a Corea album I'm not sure it will be this one one I reach for..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2014 5:37 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Laid back magic, 30 July 2013
I will start by admitting that I had downloaded this album when it came out, but decided to by the hard copy. Seeing the special audition, I went for that.

Melody Gardot is a class act. Very laid back. Don't expect to be dancing round the kitchen to this one.

Two of my favourite Gardot tracks are on this album, "Who will comfort me" and "Your heart is as black as night" a track made famous by Joe Bonamassa, but Gardot wrote it. The other tracks are a typical mix of jazz and Latin influenced music played by a very tight band.

The "Special" bit comes in the form of a bonus CD of three live versions of tracks from the album, and two other live tracks. For the price, well worth it.

This is an album of some great songs (some moderate) played by a great band, with Melody Gardot's silky voice at the forefront. If you like a bit of laid back magic, this is an album for you.

Traces
Traces

5.0 out of 5 stars Another piece of magic from Karine Polwart, 13 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Traces (Audio CD)
I should start by saying I am a fan. I have been since I first heard Karine on the BBC folk awards in 2005. Karine isn't just a great folk singer, she is a song writer who stands alongside the best. Her songs are crafted, with lyrics that hit the spot, like only a true wordsmith can.

The album opens with a simple song which has a wave that will rumble the sub woofers in a way that only the Hercules flying over my house can do. The album continues with another nine gems. I can't choose favourites yet, as it only arrived this morning, but, "We're all leaving" and "Tinsel town" hit the spot.

The core of the band is Karine and her brother Steven, a fantastic guitarist with an amazing touch, and the incredibly individual Inge Thomson (see the live show if you get a chance) whos musicianship adds greatly to the sound, and voice harmonises perfectly with Karines. Another eight musicians have been brought in to augment this group and add a bit of spice and variation.

Another piece of magic from Karine Polwart. If you haven't heard Karine Polwart before, buy this album, and when you have there's another four to buy.

p.s. I am not paid by Karine Polwart or Amazon.

Steve
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2012 3:33 PM BST

Thunder
Thunder

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for bass players, 10 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Thunder (Audio CD)
I will keep this review short, If you are a bass player get this album. Three masters showing there skills, bouncing ideas. Wonderfull. Great recording, three bass players at once takes some doing.

go on buy this and give your speakers the fright of their lives.

A must for bass players

Live In Berlin 1975
Live In Berlin 1975

1.0 out of 5 stars You have to ask why they released this., 10 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Live In Berlin 1975 (Audio CD)
I am a long term fan of Weather Report. Zawinul and his music have been the soundtrack to most of my life, and that said I can just about stand listening to this album. Musically the concert is pretty good, but the sound is very poor. I don't know what the original recordings were like, but at times the sax sounds like a snake charmers pipe, and Alphonso Johnsons bass as no balls at all, the drums.......well I could get a better sound out of a few biscuit tins.

The album comes in two forms, a CD and a DVD of the concert, both the same musically four track, 41.40 minutes. The DVD is OK, looks like a TV recording, and its good to see the band playing, but again the sound recording gets in the way of the enjoyment.

I believe they are planning to release some more live stuff. I can only hope that they get the sound better, as this does nothing for the memory of Joe and the band.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2014 7:14 PM GMT

75th
75th

2.0 out of 5 stars A sad ending, 14 Nov. 2008
This review is from: 75th (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of Joe Zawinul sinse 1965, and he has provided me with a great soundtrack for my life sinse then. "75th" is not the way I would like to remember him. I would go as far as to say that, had he not died this would not have been released. Even the combination of Joe and Wayne Shorter, playing "In a silent way", falls short of what you expect from a profesional recording.

If you want to hear the Syndicate at its best listen to "Vienna Nights" a far better album.