Profile for Mr. C. J. Limb > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. J. Limb

Mr. C. J. Limb "chris_catmachine" (Brighton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Double Strength 200mg 5-HTP 180 Tablets 6 Month Supply by Nu U Nutrition
Double Strength 200mg 5-HTP 180 Tablets 6 Month Supply by Nu U Nutrition
Offered by Nu U Nutrition

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to swallow, 27 Jun. 2016
Worked well with no side effects. Easy to swallow.

Anker PowerCore+ mini (3350mAh Premium Aluminum Portable Charger) Lipstick-Sized External Battery Power Bank for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge and More (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as I expected and has saved me the ..., 19 May 2016
Works exactly as I expected and has saved me the trouble of searching for a power outlet on more than one occasion in the brief time I've had it so far. Sees to hold quite a charge too - I recharged my phone from it once and it still had enough for me to repeat the process later.

All Natural 5-HTP 180 High Strength 100mg capsules 6 month supply SPECIAL OFFER ONLY £9.95 LIMITED PERIOD. Increase serotonin levels naturally. This Natural Mood Enhancer can help to reduce feelings of stress and anxiety promoting a goodnights sleep UK MANUFACTURED.
Offered by Good 2 Go health&beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - great value, 9 July 2015
Delivered very quickly, this package contains 120 supplement capsules which are just as good - if not better - than any bought in high street stores and in addition are available at a fraction of the price.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Godbotherer, 8 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
I couldn't find a single fact or well reasoned argument in this book that I disagreed with. That's not to say I think it's perfect - it has flaws, but some of them are unavoidable and probably come about as a direct result of having to deal with the subject matter.

The tone can come across at times as rather shrill and overemotional rather than measured and calm. But have you ever found yourself embroiled in a discussion with fundamentalist godbotherers? There are only so many times you can coolheadedly state your case before their inherent refusal to listen to a single word you've been saying starts to grate. Perhaps within the pages of a popular non-fiction bestseller is not the best place to lose one's rag, but Dawkins can hardly be blamed for getting a bit hot under the collar in places.

A couple of other shortcomings that leapt out at me. The book seemed to be both shooting fish in a barrel and (perhaps ironically) preaching to the converted. Are these further flaws that come with the territory? Perhaps they're also a side effect of the fact that it's me reading the book.

Whilst I would not describe myself as an atheist (I don't quite see the logic in defining myself by what I don't believe in - I don't believe in dragons either) I am a materialist and do not think you need to postulate a god in order to explain the universe. It's also quite clear from the study of human history that the bulk of religious rules and regulations were invented as a method of controlling people. In the absence of an effective police force or centuries of consistent intellectual growth, the disproportionate threat of hell used to be the only way to prevent someone killing you or nicking your loaf of bread.

Given that the absurdities of religion are already clear to me it's not surprising that I feel that Dawkins has picked an easy target. Look at how illogical they are! he says. He doesn't need to tell me. I already know.

Of course not everyone is already a materialist or an atheist, but I don't think The God Delusion is going to have any effect on them. Most modern monotheism rests on a get-out-of-jail-free circular argument, known as Faith, so no matter how convincing or compelling Mr Dawkins's arguments are, they're just not going to cut the mustard.

Cause you gotta have faith.

How Not to Grow Up: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
How Not to Grow Up: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
by Richard Herring

5.0 out of 5 stars Mid-Life Crisis Manual, 23 May 2010
Richard Herring's How Not To Grow Up is jokingly billed as a Coming of Age Memoir but is really a Mid Life Crisis Manual, albeit a particularly fine specimen of the genre.

It's also brutally frank, a confessional in which no veils are drawn over any scenes and yet oddly I didn't find this at all shocking because it's written with such disarming honesty. The style is funny, easy to read and conversational, but feels like a conversation with someone you know very well.

As a man of a certain age I found a lot with which to empathise in the author's self doubt, deprecation and disappointment, although to be honest I'd much rather be suffering from his mid-life crisis than my own. For all his delusions of failure he has actually achieved a hell of a lot, not least my own holy grail of having a book published...

Luckily he seems to realise that towards the end (should I be saying SPOILER ALERT here? Can one "spoil" non-fiction?), and this realisation plays a large part in allowing our hero to get the girl, kill the baddies (and save the entire planet).

The Servants
The Servants
by Michael Marshall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Off Season, 21 May 2010
This review is from: The Servants (Paperback)
I was surprised to start reading this book to discover that most of it was set five minutes walk from where I live. The feeling of off-season Brighton & Hove is captured well in a dark, creepy and above all personal ghost story which explores elements of the city's past and stays with you long after you've turned the final page.

The age of the protagonist means that it would be a suitable introduction to the authors work for a thoughtful, intelligent twelve year old.

I will certainly never look at Brunswick Square in quite the same way again.

We3
We3
by Frank Quitely

4.0 out of 5 stars War Pets, 21 May 2010
This review is from: We3 (Paperback)
A short story, but one that sticks in the mind. From the cover I was expecting something more far flung in time and space, instead we are treated to a familiar (but perhaps near-future) world in which household pets are being used as the building blocks for the ultimate weapons of war. This is more like The Plague Dogs with cyborgs than the Future War I was expecting and is all the better for it.

Dalek I Loved You (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Dalek I Loved You (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Nick Griffiths

2.0 out of 5 stars My Vision Is Impaired, 20 May 2010
An amusing read - he's roughly the same age as me so I recognise most of the cultural references.

However, it does seem a bit odd to get someone who went off Doctor Who fairly early to write a Doctor Who themed memoir. Instead of his reflections on the programme in the nineteen eighties, we get an account if his late adolescence and early twenties which are not quite as interesting for most of the people who bought the book. I prefer Toby Hadoke's "Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf" show which interweaves his own life with everyone's favourite guilty televisual pleasure far more successfully.

The Devil's Apocrypha: There are two sides to every story
The Devil's Apocrypha: There are two sides to every story
by John DeVito

4.0 out of 5 stars The Devil Delusion, 20 May 2010
An interesting alternative take on the Bible from the Old Testament onwards and one which challenges the more ridiculous demands and morals to be found in the original.

Despite the biblical language throughout there are some interesting science fictional ideas buried away in here. for instance it's implied that God and Co are members of a race of pan-dimensional hyper intelligent beings who escaped their own universe's eschaton by tunnelling their way into the birth of ours through a black hole.

Oh and apparently we are now living in the End Days. Of the three that come as heralds of that time we seem to have already had two, Hitler and Bin Laden (the latter of whom is apparently going to be betrayed by his own people and handed over to the authorities). The book seems to imply that the third, whose coming heralds the end of the world - will be some sort of clone. What's Dolly the sheep up to these days?

All in all a successful "re-imagining".

Phonogram Volume 1: Rue Britannia
Phonogram Volume 1: Rue Britannia
by Kieron Gillen

4.0 out of 5 stars Scene and not Heard, 20 May 2010
In this story music is strongly linked to a form of magic known as "phonomancy".

I suppose everyone feels this way about music when their enthusiasm for a band or a scene is at its height, so I can relate to where the author is coming from, even if I don't get all the Britpop references. I would probably have found it more fun to read one about punk, goth or shoegazing, but I suppose it's up to me to write that one.

It did make me look twice at my penchant for musical nostalgia, so it certainly did make me think if not change my ways.

Nice clean "ligne claire" artwork as well with a lot of white space and uncluttered panels.

Oh one thing - I didn't find Kula Shaker important (or long lasting) enough to hate them with the vehemence that the central character displays!

Page: 1 | 2