Profile for lazy_medic > Reviews

Dr Podcast Scripts for the Primary FRCA
Dr Podcast Scripts for the Primary FRCA
by Rebecca A. Leslie

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 17 May 2012
I would credit this book with getting me through my Primary SOE. Most of the basic science vivas would be covered with the information found in this handy volume - you'd still need something for the clinical section though.

I would recommend it for candidates sitting the MCQ and for new trainees in Anaesthetics - when you read this you realise what a lot of the MCQs in the Primary are getting at.

Thoroughly recommended - thanks guys.

The Objective Structured Clinical Examination in Anaesthesia: Practice Papers for Teachers and Trainees
by Cyprian Mendonca

4.0 out of 5 stars Produces results, 20 Jan. 2012
An unenjoyable read but a couple of runs through this plus some reading around these/similar topics got me through my OSCE first time.

Publishers please note: an index would be really useful (and is pretty standard in an academic textbook, I believe).

From Hell
From Hell
by Alan Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Bradford, May 2010, 29 May 2010
This review is from: From Hell (Paperback)
Current events in the news have prompted me to write this belated review. I first read 'From Hell' about a year ago, the first graphic novel I ever opened. It's a dense and powerful work, effortlessly taking in a diverse range of subjects - architecture, social history, criminology, mathematics, theology - and exhaustively furnished with accompanying explanatory notes.

But what really grabbed me and literally made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up was the third section of the book, 'Dance of the gull-catchers'. In it, Moore makes the point that essentially it doesn't matter who Jack was. Instead, he postulates, the social and economic circumstances that existed in London at the end of the 1800s were the driving factors; the real 'Jack the Ripper'. This struck a chord with me. It's easy to forget in our 21st century of mobile phones, antibiotics and free schooling that there is a significant proportion of society which is as poor and deprived as the slums of Whitehall in 1888. And consequently we bear witness, every few years, to a group of women's faces staring out at us from TV and newspapers. They are missing, or have been found dead, and they too are prostitutes.

And there's something else too, at the end, dark and breathtaking that Moore only half articulates - the thought that perhaps in the hearts of all men there is something that drives us to control women; that we are all capable of terrible, unspeakable acts.

'We were still watching her dance when the gull disappeared'.

Incredible.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2014 10:54 PM BST

Time Out Shortlist Amsterdam 2009
Time Out Shortlist Amsterdam 2009
by Time Out Guides Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Nov. 2009
This book is ideal for the kind of citybreaks I take. Small and slim, easily fitting into a back pocket, this guide breaks down the city by area. Find your place on the clear and accurate maps and take your pick from the cafes, bars, coffeshops and restaurants with a handy colour-coded key. Using this guide on two separate trips I've yet to find a recommendation that I disagreed with. It's a buy!

ABC of Antenatal Care: Fourth Edition (ABC Series)
ABC of Antenatal Care: Fourth Edition (ABC Series)
by Geoffrey Chamberlain

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple advice for all, 13 May 2007
You know, this book isn't half bad. It's a little simple in places, but overall it's a staraightforward look at those crucial weeks before birth. Screening tests? They're here, and explained. Guidelines? Perhaps not absolutely current, but you can get those from the Internet. This gives you an understanding of what happens, rather than slavishly following a protocol that happens to be in vogue currently.

Recommended for all with an interest in the antenatal stage: medical students, doctors, student midwives, and even the public.

Kumar and Clark Clinical Medicine
Kumar and Clark Clinical Medicine
by Parveen Kumar

2.0 out of 5 stars Too complicated, too boring, 16 May 2006
I made the mistake of buying this textbook in my first year as it was widely pupported to be 'the book' for medicine, the Bible in fact. 'If it's not in Kumar, you don't need to worry about it' said other medical students, confidently. (I was later to discover that this was spectacularly untrue).

I have no idea why this book is so popular, the supporters of this text almost cult-like in their fervour. It's inconsistent in the way it treats each disease, overly complicated (try using it as a revision aid for written finals) and the physiology sections at the beginning, although an ace idea, are very hard to understand. Especially if - like me - you never really understood all that crap about rat experiments you read in Guyton anyway.

And the pathophysiology sections are a joke. There will be a lengthy list of genetic mutations responsible for the disease (like I'll be able to remember a list of numbers while sweating my ass off in finals). At this point the author will have got bored, and perhaps wanting to get the section over with will then dash off a couple of lines about the stuff you really want to know more about.

My advice? If you're nowhere near sitting written finals yet, use the Systems series (Respiratory System etc) with maybe some 'At a glance' books. They're much more accessible. If you really need more detail, get it out of the library or use Harrisons. If you're near written finals, don't throw it away, you'll need it for MRCP - but use it as a footstool and buy Crash Course Medicine or Master Medicine - Medicine instead.

A coda to this review - inexplicably I actually ended up buying both this edititon and the previous one. Perhaps in the future I can just set up a direct debit to the bank accounts of Drs Kumar and Clark and pay the money in directly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2009 3:01 PM BST

Lecture Notes on Clinical Medicine
Lecture Notes on Clinical Medicine
by David Rubenstein

1.0 out of 5 stars One to miss, 16 May 2006
This was a real shame. I bought it thinking that, like the rest of the 'Lecture Notes', it would give me the skinny on all the med I needed to know, and would be a useful text for written finals. Unfortunately it just doesn't have anywhere near the breadth required to cover the current curriculum (let alone the detail), even for an overview book.

I think part of the problem was that they had tried to integrate the medicine with clinical examinations - not a bad idea, but not when it's at the expense of whole topics that had been omitted. Definitely one to miss. Buy Crash Course Medicine or Master Medicine - Medicine instead. Or if you want a brief overview, USMLE Step 1 Secrets.

Disappointing horse from a normally excellent stable.

USMLE Step 1 Secrets
USMLE Step 1 Secrets
by Thomas A. Brown MD

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't panic, 11 May 2006
This review is from: USMLE Step 1 Secrets (Paperback)
I really like this book. Each chapter starts with a few pages on absolute key anatomy and physiology, followed by eight or nine 'cases' which between them cover all the major pathologies for that particular system along with diagnosis, pathophysiology, management etc. The information is presented in Q and A format which is useful both for self-testing and for breaking up the info into digestible chunks.

Don't be misled - this book only covers some of what you need at a fairly basic level, but it's short and can therefore be read quickly at the beginning of a revision programme as an overview. I'm actually using it for written finals, not USMLE at all, and after reading the cardiovascular chapter I felt I had got a fairly good grasp of it. And it only took a couple of hours to read!

If you're panicking, you could do a lot worse than taking a few deep breaths and settling down with this easy-to-read badboy.