Profile for Dorothy L. Sayers > Reviews

Content by Dorothy L. Sayers

Dorothy L. Sayers "railbirdbc" (Vancouver, B.C., Canada)

Page: 1 | 2
St Martin's Lane [1937] [DVD]
St Martin's Lane [1937] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vivien Leigh

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Cast -- Charming film., 14 Mar. 2015
St. Martin's Lane is a charming film. Great cast!!!!! It gives us glimpse into a past that is long gone -- the buskers of old. Being a Canadian, we have a special fondness for Tyrone Guthrie -- he was responsible for bringing us our Stratford Festival. Wonderfully talented actor.

Carry On Nurse [DVD]
Carry On Nurse [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shirley Eaton

4.0 out of 5 stars Silliness at it's best!!!!!, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Carry On Nurse [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this for my husband for Christmas with another Carry On film. It is lunacy taken to new heights -- bookmaking in the wards, high jinks galore. Give it a look -- you won't be disappointed.

Body Snatcher [DVD]
Body Snatcher [DVD]
Dvd ~ Boris Karloff

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!!!!!!, 22 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Body Snatcher [DVD] (DVD)
We have been looking for this film for several years and when I found that it had been released last year we were delighted. We popped into the DVD player and were immediately transported back into the bad old days of Medical Training and grave robbing. Both Henry Daniell and Karloff were magnificent. It is a film we will go back to many times over the years.

The Wind in the Willows - The Original Movie[DVD] [1983]
The Wind in the Willows - The Original Movie[DVD] [1983]
Dvd ~ David Jason
Offered by joe4books

5.0 out of 5 stars OH, TOAD!!!!!!!!!, 31 May 2012
We watched this with our children when they were small and purchased this and Series 1 and 2 on a whim. We were not disappointed. The content, animation and characterizations by Ian Carmichael, Sir Michael Hordern and Richard Pearson are wonderful. As a late friend used to say all the time, "What Fun!!!!!" We enjoyed it thoroughly. "The Wind in the Willows" is a classic book that every child should have on their shelf and this film is one that every family should have in their collection. It is suitable for the a child of any age. Why should the little ones have all the fun?

Against The Wind [DVD]
Against The Wind [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simone Signoret

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Film, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Against The Wind [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased this film after watching it online. I watched it because of the cast and bought it because of Simone Signoret. We all know her from "Room at the Top" and "Ship of Fools", but we see little of her early work, unless we like French film. Also she didn't work all that much after her marriage to Yves Montand. The cast is excellent -- try it -- you might like it.

The Wooden Horse [DVD]
The Wooden Horse [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leo Genn

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Film, but arrived damaged, 25 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Wooden Horse [DVD] (DVD)
I ordered this film and it arrived rattling around in the case, scratched. I contacted Amazon Live Chat and received adequate service. The end result wasn't what I wanted, but it worked at the time. Fortunately the film is playable, and we hope it will remain so.

Now back to the film. It is an excellent characterization of the ascendance and victory of the human spirit over Naziism. Leo Genn is superb in his role, as are all the other actors. Watch it!!! You will be surprized.

Scrooge (1935) [DVD] (Digitally remastered in colour)
Scrooge (1935) [DVD] (Digitally remastered in colour)
Dvd ~ Seymour Hicks

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting, Enjoyable Film!!! Too bad it is an abridged version., 19 Jan. 2012
We bought this after seeing a piece on TCM on Christmas films. We found it an interesting view and liked it very much. It is a bit disjointed, but after doing some research, I discovered that it is an abridged version -- that the full version is not available for purchase. This is unfortunate. If the full version comes onto the market, we will certainly consider purchasing it.

Sherlock Holmes And The Leading Lady [1991] [DVD]
Sherlock Holmes And The Leading Lady [1991] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christopher Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST SHERLOCK HOLMES FILMS EVER!!!!, 23 Aug. 2011
I bought this film for Christopher Lee, an actor for whom I have a great deal of respect. I DID NOT, however, read the rest of the cast list carefully enough. If I had realized that Morgan Fairchild was playing "THE Woman" I would have left it on the cyber shelf. She was a lousy actress when she played in American Soaps in the Sixties and Seventies and nothing has changed in that department.

As for the plot, it was far fetched and, at times, down right stupid. Eliot Ness, indeed!!!! If I am correct about my history, the real Ness would have still been in short pants at the time, let alone working for the Treasury Department!!!! Give us a break!!!!! As a previous reviewer indicated, it is a real Turkey and don't waste your money. It is a film that will sit on our shelf and gather dust and, in time, will be delegated to a charity bin.

Patrick Macnee was a creditable Watson, as so he should -- the great actor he is. But there were greater -- the late James Mason, Edward Hardwicke (who died this summer), David Burke and, we mustn't forget the late, great Nigel Bruce, who gave the role a character none of us will ever forget.

Inspector Morse: The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Inspector Morse: The Complete Series 1-12 [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Thaw

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Series!!! Too bad they don't make them like this anymore!, 14 Aug. 2010
We had been intending to purchase the Complete Morse for months, but I was hoping the price would come down or my own funds would unfreeze a bit. The former happened and we are delighted. We haven't watched all the Morse yet -- we do have our favourites and watch them regularly. Thank you, Amazon, once again for providing us with inexpensive entertainment to replace the horrible television we have here in North America.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2011 9:42 AM BST

The Holly & The Ivy [DVD]
The Holly & The Ivy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ralph Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully touching film, 2 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Holly & The Ivy [DVD] (DVD)
This film is as good as it gets. We haven't Seen The Holly and the Ivy for more than 20 years. A faith based channel in Canada used to show it every year as a launch to the Christmas season, but stopped suddenly, when Christmas became politically incorrect.

The acting is superb, the story heartwarming and true if you have ever known any clerical families. We have all known -- or had -- an Aunt Lydia and an Aunt Bridget. We have all known a Mick and an Uncle Richard, too.

Take a look -- you will be impressed.

Page: 1 | 2