Profile for R. Owen > Reviews

Content by R. Owen

R. Owen "Rebbie" (Tamworth, Staffs, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Accidental Time Traveller
The Accidental Time Traveller

4.0 out of 5 stars A great holiday read with an interesting twist, 11 Jun 2013
I really liked this story and wouldn't agree with previous reviewers who disliked the ending. Yes, it was easy reading, but it was perfect for a holiday read (even though I couldn't use my Kindle Fire in bright sunlight because I couldn't see it!). I liked the contrast between modern day and the past from the viewpoint of the main character.

Orbeez Magic Light Up Globe
Orbeez Magic Light Up Globe

3.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves it but it doesn't quite work like it says it does., 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Orbeez Magic Light Up Globe (Toy)
My daughter loves this and it does look quite nice if you look at the coloured balls moving about inside the globe. The only downside is that the coloured lights project on to the ceiling but it doesn't have the same effect as pictured on the box - it is just a reflection of the lights, not the coloured balls, if that makes sense.

Draw Something Free
Draw Something Free

3.0 out of 5 stars Love this game but it crashes on my Kindle Fire, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Draw Something Free (App)
I've been playing this game for a few months on my smartphone with very few problems and was very excited to be able to download it onto the Kindle Fire which I received for Christmas. Unfortunately, after two goes I received an error message and was unable to continue with the game. I'm sure this is solveable but I'm not sure how.

Alligator Books Hello Kitty Velvet Colouring Set
Alligator Books Hello Kitty Velvet Colouring Set
Offered by Express Goods UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good quality as it appears, 20 Jan 2012
This product looks OK when you order it online, but when you see it in reality it is the kind of thing you could pick up in a pound shop.

Mummy Loves Me (Dk Board Books)
Mummy Loves Me (Dk Board Books)
by Kindersley Dorling
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it so much I'm buying another one as a present, 20 July 2011
I'd thoroughly recommend this book as it's a firm favourite of my daughter's. She was given a copy when she was born and now, at almost 6 years old, can recite it cover to cover, but still loves it. Both this book and 'Daddy Loves Me' still come out occasionally at bedtime if she's a bit late in bed and we're looking for a quick bedtime story - perfect for reading and ending with a goodnight kiss. The photos are beautiful and the words are simple but effective. You can even join in with actions such as 'Mummy's fingers tickling toes ... Mummy's nose against your nose', which is a surefire way of eliciting a giggle.

Lorus Time Teacher Watch Bright Pink RG265HX9
Lorus Time Teacher Watch Bright Pink RG265HX9
Offered by WatchMad

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch but a little big for small wrists, 5 Oct 2010
I bought this watch for my 5 year old daughter as she has been wearing a plastic digital Dora the Explorer watch and I thought this would be better to help her to learn to tell the time. It is very pretty and the face is nice and clear, but the strap is quite hard and doesn't adjust well for smaller wrists. I chose this watch because of its strap as I thought she would have difficulty with a buckle, but it is too big for her and she therefore doesn't want to wear it.

The Honk and Holler Opening Soon
The Honk and Holler Opening Soon
by Billie Letts

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Billie Letts book, 11 Aug 2009
It took me years to get hold of Where the Heart Is in the UK until I thought of Amazon (don't know why it took me so long!) but once I bought it I was hooked on Billie Letts. Her novels involve interesting, complex characters who you wish you could interact with. They normally end up making you feel good by the time you've finished them, and this one is no exception. I'd love to see a slightly longer book by her with a more intricate plot but I don't know whether I could handle too many late nights saying to myself 'I'll just read one more chapter and then I'll go to sleep ...'!

Daddy Loves Me
Daddy Loves Me
by DK Publishing
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for babies!, 11 Aug 2009
This review is from: Daddy Loves Me (Board book)
This is one of the best books we have in our collection. I bought it for my daughter to give to her Daddy for Fathers Day last year and they never tire of reading it together, especially at bedtime. It has beautiful photographs and is easy for small hands to hold and turn the pages. We also have Mummy Loves Me - guess who gets to read that almost every night?!

Made In The Usa
Made In The Usa
by Billie Letts

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another wonderful read from Billie Letts, 11 Aug 2009
This review is from: Made In The Usa (Paperback)
It's been a while since I found a book I couldn't put down, but Billie Letts can definitely keep me awake turning pages into the small hours of the morning. Her characters are interesting and complex and I like the way she alternates from the perspective of each of them. The story is ultimately one of family and while it might be a bit simplistic and obvious in places, it's a good holiday read.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and ideal for a small garden, 7 Jan 2009
I bought this item for my 3 year old daughter and she loves it! We have a very small yard (no grass) and didn't have room for a larger one, so this is ideal. It is sturdy and safe and doesn't need additional fixings to keep it in place. We have had more than one person on it at a time but ideally it is suited for just one person.

One small niggle is that the toggle which secures the entrance is a bit difficult for small hands to do/undo and is on the outside of the safety net, so it has to be done up by an adult after the child has gone in. My daughter is like most children and is constantly getting in and out of it, so we ended up leaving it undone, which isn't as unsafe as it sounds as the netting overlaps the other side by about 10cm (if that makes sense). I have noticed that other, larger trampolines have zips or toggles on the entrance that can be reached from inside and outside, which I think is a better design.

On the downside, it did take my husband 3 hours to assemble it, mostly by himself, and although he is strong and used to hard manual work, his hands hurt for a couple of days afterwards from stretching the bungees.

Page: 1 | 2