Profile for mike simmonds > Reviews

Content by mike simmonds

mike simmonds (west yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Anker® Premium Synthetic Leather Case for HTC One M8 2014 Flip Case Cover with Multi Angle Stand and Clip Function (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value for money, 13 Aug 2014
This arrived the day after ordering in a shallow Amazon box with simple straight forward packaging.

This is a flip style case in what I know is synthetic leather, but in fact has some advantages by not being real leather. I have a leather case on my Ipad and it is terrible to keep clean, where as the synthetic case just wipes easily.

The case fits very snugly. The holes are well placed so you can still use all the functions you need to. When first putting it on it does ask if you want to turn on using the HTC Dot view mode, but after clicking no, it does not ask you this again. Magnetic strip is useful as when unfolded, the case keeps it held to the back of the phone if needed. Also the 3 ridges on the inside of its face along with the bend of the leather effect back are good to balance the phone upright whilst at a desk and be able to see the phone standing up. All in all good quality case with no signs of wear after using for 5 days and having it in my pocket.

I haven't dropped the phone (yet) but the case appears quite sturdy and feels like it offers good physical protection.

Crazy value for money as the price on Amazon is £5.99 ! As well as that there is a lifetime guarantee so a very worthwhile package.

Anker® 3-Port USB 3.0 HUB with 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Converter (3 USB 3.0 Ports, A RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Port, Support Windows XP, Vista, Win7/8 (32/64 bit), Mac OS 10.6 or higher, Linux)

5.0 out of 5 stars Two very useful products in one, 4 Aug 2014
Over the last 12 months I have bought and reviewed some Anker products. They asked me if I would look at and give an honest review of their 3 Port USB hub and Gigabit Ethernet converter - so here goes:-

Anker appear to have a cunning plan - they keep producing useful PC accesories and make them to a high specification and don't charge too much for them.

In the box is the hub itself, a short USB cable to connect the hub to your PC and a little printed instruction book.

This USB hub is nice and compact, just under 4 inches long and about 1 inch wide. It is a smart combination of high gloss white and black - looking neat on the desktop rather than my old hub which had the appearance of a small brick !

Although the instructions suggest it may need a driver, it worked plug and play with both my PC and my 2011 Macbook pro.

I have tried 2 separate portable USB3 hard drives and the data transfer seemed very fast. I transferred a 4GB video file from the PC to a portable hard drive in around 2 minutes. I have also tried my mouse and a memory stick at the same time and everything works fine.

A little green LED gives a reassuring "on" indication and I think I will make good use of the hub.

I have been thinking about the other part of the hub - the Gigabit converter and how I would use it. Now I don't have a macbook air but was thinking about the fact that the air doesn't have an ethernet socket and that this would allow a user to connect by Ethernet for data transfer. Building on this - a lot of smaller devices don't have the abilty to connect by Ethernet and this would appear to be a great way to overcome this at low cost.

With data transfer of photos and short videos I have always found USB 2 or 3 to be fine, but thinking about transferring say 250GB of data from one machine to another, using the Ethernet converter would make transfer about 15- 20 times faster.

There is an 18 month guarantee with the hub, but having now tried 6 or 7 Anker products, I have found them all to be reliable and nothing yet has stopped working. I have also found that when on 2 occasions I have contacted Anker technical support for advice they have replied within a day on both occasions.

I can strongly recommend both this product and the manufacturer. I have no connection with Anker other than as a product user.

Anker® 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk External Enclosure Case for 9.5mm & 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy way to turn a bare drive into a very nice portable hard drive., 12 July 2014
Sometimes things happen with perfect timing. I have recently changed the hard drives on two laptops. Leaving me with two bare but working 2.5 inch drives

I had an enclosure for one and by coincidence, Anker who I have bought products from before asked me if I would take a look at their 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure and write a review. They did say that I am free to say whatever I wanted - good or bad, but as usual with Anker, their product works really well.

The box was the usual Anker style box- simple cardboard and environmentally friendly. There is a little paper sleeve around the box with a picture of the drive and some basic details.

Inside the box is the enclsure, a USB3 cable and a little foam pad (to be used with a 7mm drive). My drive is 9mm so the extra pad was not needed.

There is also the little Anker instruction book and a "Happy ? / Not Happy ? " leaflet.

The first thing I like about the enclosure is that there are no screws to get into it. You just slide the rear cover of to reveal a SATA connector inside. The case itself is dark brown plastic rather than metal and looks reassuringly solid.

The 2.5 inch drive fits inside perfectly (my drive was a hitachi) - quite a snug fit but I guess that's ideal. The cover snaps back on and it was literally a 20 second job to install.

I have plugged it in using the USB3 cable -again a nice snug fit- and it works fine - plug and play.

I have transferred a load of photos from the drive back to my laptop and the transfer rate seems fine.

Nothing more to be said other than this is about the 5th or 6th product I have had from Anker and I am yet to be disappointed.

Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure Case with usb 3.0 Cable for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD, Tool-free HDD Installation, Compatible With Windows 2000/ XP /Vista/ 7/ 8, Mac OS 9.1/10.8.4
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks to be a premium product and worth the extra few pounds, 25 Jun 2014
Once before I needed an enclosure for a bare hard drive and thought they would all be the same. Last time the one I bought was really just a basic metal tin with a cheap connector that kept falling out.
This time I bought a little more carefully and I think it paid off. Having put an SSD in to my laptop, I had a 500gb 2.5" apple drive left to play with.

The case is strong plastic and has a premium feel. I liked the fact that there were no screws to undo. The lid just slides off revealing a well fixed connector. The drive just slid on to the SATA connector. There was a nice foam pad inside the lid to keep the drive in place, the lid slides on and that's it.

My drive was 9mm and fit perfectly. If you have a 7mm drive there is a spare foam pad enclosed.

There was also a USB3 cable enclosed.

The drive just worked by plug and play and I am very pleased with it. There is a little on/off switch on the front near the USB socket in case you want to keep it plugged in but not active. Pretty good for £12.99

Bosmere C505 Premium Hammock Cover
Bosmere C505 Premium Hammock Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to put on and remove, 21 Jun 2014
I had tried a slightly cheaper cover before only to find that as soon as it was windy, the old cover tore and the zip came away.

So far this cover has been fine - not in high winds yet, but easy to put on and off and seems to be quite heavy duty and substantial.

The zips are heavy duty and the seams appear well made.

Dylon Leath Shoe Dye - Navy Blue 2
Dylon Leath Shoe Dye - Navy Blue 2
Offered by CKONE

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says, 21 Jun 2014
I was slightly dubious about using a home dye kit as I wasn't sure it would be effective. I was actually using it to dye a tan colour leather case for an iphone, as the case was looking very dirty and couldn't be cleaned. I applied three coats with a little paintbrush and I am pleased with the outcome. The case looks quite accetable and a nice dark blue colour. It was very easy to apply, but just a warning, use rubber gloves. I got some of the dye on my finger and it took ages to clean off.

I'm not sure how waterproof the dye will be and don't really want to test it, but certainly this dye is worth a try to revive an existing item you have stopped using.

Anker® TC980 Bluetooth Folio Keyboard Case for iPad Air - Smart Case with Auto Sleep / Wake, Comfortable Keys and Extra Long Battery Life
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars A really well thought out case and bluetooth keyboard, 21 Jun 2014
Having used an earlier model of their bluetooth keyboard, Anker asked me if I would try out the new model and write an honest review - good or bad.

The case arrived in the usual Anker simple brown cardboard box although this time with a colourful paper sleeve showing the keyboard in "Ipad stand" mode. A USB charging cable was included together with an instruction book.

The case/keyboard is black with a grey interior. It weighs 15oz and although this of course makes the Ipad air heavier, it still has a light and portable feel.

The Ipad air clips very easily but securely into the lid of the case and if you wish you can simply use this as your Ipad case. The keyboard is not detachable and with the case on, it doubles the thickness of the Ipad.

The best single feature of the case for me is the thought that has gone in to using it as a stand. As you raise the ipad (landscape way up) to near the vertical position, it clips in place so that the screen is in a "regular laptop" position. This action automatically switches the keyboard on and off. It is a perfect angle to view the screen when placed on a table or on your lap and unlike the original Apple case, doesn't fall over.

The on/off magnet to activate the Ipad air works fine and the magnet also keeps the lid closed when not in use. The lid is synthetic rather than leather, but having used the Apple leather case, leather is a disadvantage as it doesn't wipe clean. The Anker case does.

As for the keyboard, it is a regular UK keyboard and the cmd has the mac symbol on it as well as the regular words (alt, option shift etc) It doesn't have a separate number pad on the right, but still has the numercal keys at the top. They double up as function keys.

The keys are very responsive and it was easy to change to and from the screen keyboard and the bluetooth keyboard depending on which you prefer. I've only been using it for two days, but the keyboard shows no sign of losing charge (the instructions say battery use between charges is up to 6 months).

It is quick and easy to pair initially - just press the Fn and bluetooth buttons, then key in a code that comes up the screen. Once you have paired it, the Ipad finds the keyboard automatically on future uses.

There is a power saving option for the keyboard to sleep after 10 minutes use and there is an 18 month guarantee included.

I have used 4 or 5 Anker products before. I find them as good if not better than the Apple equivalents, but usually less than half the price.

If you are after an Ipad air case/keyboard combined I think this device is near perfect.

Anker® New Laptop Battery for Apple A1322 A1278 (2009 2010 2011 Version) Unibody MacBook Pro 13'', fits 661-5557 661-5229 MB990LL/A MB991LL/A+Two Free Screwdrivers - 18 Months Warranty [Li-Polymer 6-cell 5800mAh/64Wh]

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect and good value replacement, 4 Jun 2014
After nearly 3 years of using my 2011 13" Macbook pro, the original battery life had reduced from 8 hours use down to about 2 or 3. Also, it lost around 10% of charge when left overnight on sleep mode.

I have used several other Anker products and found them good quality so this seemed perfect.
Originally I had asked Apple for a quote tof replace the battery and they wanted just over £100. The Amazon price for this including the tri-wing and a small philips screwdriver is just less than half of that.

The battery was very securely packed and protected with foam padding. It was in a firm cardboard box with just the usual Anker leaflet asking if I was happy or not happy. There was an instruction booklet, but that didn't tell me how to fit it, just really how to dispose of the old one. I noticed was that my original Apple battery is marked as 10.95V. The Anker battery is marked as 11.1V The internet seems to say that such a small difference shouldn't be a problem. I sent an email to Anker technical people and they told me "the cut of voltage when charging and discharging our battery and the apple battery is the same. That's why we can confirm it works on your laptop".

Fitting the battery was a lot easier than I thought. There are 10 tiny screws on the back of my Macbook pro. The sizes are not all exactly the same so I suggest getting a couple of little containers to keep them safe and separate. I watched a video on youtube for guidance, but inside the macbook pro, there is just a connector to remove and two little tri wing screws to unscrew.

The youtube guide says to lever of the battery connector with a plastic spudger. I have one of these from messing around with a mobile phone screen once, but there wasn't one included with the battery kit from Anker. I will message them to suggest they include one.

The battery was an identical size and shape to the original and is marked "Replacement battery for 13" A1322. It dropped in easily and other than plug it in and screw it together there was nothing else to do. It ttok me half an hour, but now that I know what I am doing I could do it again in 10 minutes.

The battery was partly charged when I switched on and when I plugged in the charger it reached 100% within 2 hours.

I haven't had the opportunity to test how long the battery charge holds yet, but everything seems to work fine and after about an hours use I am still at 94%. I will see how it goes over the next few months but it will be good to not have to take the charger everywhere with me.

Buy 1 Get 1 Free MR16 Led 12v Lamp Blue Energy Saving Led Light Bulb 12 Leds 2 Pin 30,000 Hours SALE PRICE

5.0 out of 5 stars good price and solid blue colour, 2 April 2014
just what I wanted at a good price. I had tried some Haligen lights and the LED were much better and gave a better light

[New Release] Anker® Ultra Slim Apple iPad Air Premium Folio Leather Smart Case Cover Stand for Apple iPad Air Tablet (2013 Version) with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function (Orange)

5.0 out of 5 stars Anker Case better than Apple's own, 10 Jan 2014
I already have an official Apple Ipad air case (with back and front) but I was already thinking of selling the Apple one on ebay and finding an alternative. The reason is that the official Apple case is a high quality finish, but quite poor as an Ipad stand.

I have bought several Anker products before. What I really like about them is that they give an awful lot of thought to design and I think they must actually listen to customer feedback.

So - the Anker cover came boxed in their usual plain but practical recycleable cardboard box. There was no instruction booklet but really none needed.

The Ipad cover is a fairly bright orange and "leather look" rather than actual leather. The case was very easy to install. I always push in the side with the volume buttoms first, then push gently down on the opposite side.

The case has all the needed holes for camera lens, earphones etc and is a snug fit. Importantly then for me, there are two slight ridges on the inside of the lid. This allows me to use the case very nicely as a stand, with a choice of two screen angles.

Anker have also included the magnetic "sleep/wake" magnet to control the Ipad air. They also have been very clever with the closing magnetic clasp. It acts as a clasp to keep the lid closed when not in use, but when not in use, it folds back on itself and the magnet keeps it tucked away.

At the moment Amazon are selling this in the UK for £9.99 which is about one sixth of the price of the Apple case. I think this is remarkable value for money. Based on a combination of value for money and features, I definitely would regard this a 5 star product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3