Profile for mike simmonds > Reviews

Content by mike simmonds

mike simmonds (west yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Newlyn Oak Low Bookcase
Newlyn Oak Low Bookcase
Offered by Roseland Furniture Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice bookcase, 15 May 2015
This review is from: Newlyn Oak Low Bookcase
Nicely made with good quality wood- delivered already put together - we had a small problem with delivery and their customer service was amazing

iPhone 6 Battery Case [Apple MFi Certified] Anker® Premium Extended Battery Case for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) with 3100mAh Capacity / 130% Extra Battery (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Iphone 6 still has charge after 2 full days use, 8 Feb. 2015
I already have a portable charger which I keep in the car, but on those occasions where I was running out of charge found it awkward that I had to carry around my phone attached by a lightening cable to the charger. Anker asked me if I would try out the extended battery case and write an honest review. I had in mind that the case would make the iphone 6 into a much larger phone to carry, but although adding an extra half inch at the bottom, the width is only the same as my usual iphone 6 case.

The battery case makes the phone a little heavier to carry, but certainly nothing too bad. I usually charge my phone overnight and as a moderate - to heavy user, find that by the end of the day I am down to between 10% and 20%

The way the case works is that you charge it from a regular lightening charger and check the charge by the 4 tiny power lights on the back. The phone slips in to the case (all the normal controls and openings work as usual)

At any time you like, you can press a little button on the back of the case - this starts charging your phone from within the extended case. Yesterday morning I was 100% charge and by last night I was on 22%. I left the phone uncharged overnight and then my mid morning when I was on 15%, I pressed the charge button and now at 11pm I am still on 28%.

Having a charger as part of the phone case is a much better and more manageable way to give an additional charge than a remote charger attached by a cable.

I reckon that the charger gives me at least a full days extra charge.

One thing that I really like is that as well as including a nice short lightening cable, they also include a narrow headphone extension lead to deal with the fact that the regular headphone plug is not long enough to reach the phone through the extended case - a very sensible inclusion.

I think you could use the case in 2 ways. If you are regularly away from a power sounce for a couple of days then use the extended case as your regular case. Alternatively if like me it is just occasionally you risk running out of charge, you could keep in in your car or case and use it just on those occasions.

I am very happy with the battery case and can see it being incredibly useful when I am away overnight or on a long journey.

Duracell MX1500 Ultra Power AA Size Batteries--Pack of 24
Duracell MX1500 Ultra Power AA Size Batteries--Pack of 24

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably about half the price of buying from a supermarket, 21 Jan. 2015
Genuine duracell batteries at a great price

DQD110B-8A Casio - Wave Ceptor radio-controlled clock (Our ref: DQD110B/8A)
DQD110B-8A Casio - Wave Ceptor radio-controlled clock (Our ref: DQD110B/8A)

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical and easy to use travel or home alarm clock, 21 Jan. 2015
I bought this as a replacement for my older Casio wave ceptor clock radio which finally stopped working after about 10 years. This looks to be just as good. It is silent when in use and although has a bright light when you need it (press the top) it is nice and dark for next to the bed.
It has time, day anddate as you would expect. The alarm is loud but nottoo annoying and there is asnooze button for if you want an extra few minutes. It syncs to the auto time clock when you want it to and so far has kept excellent time

It is very light and ideal from travel use.

Zolo Tough Case with Folio Cover and Stand for iPad Air (1st Gen Only) by Anker® DROP TESTED Auto Sleep / Wake [18-Month Warranty] (Carbon)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars This must be one of the toughest cases ever made, 21 Jan. 2015
You have to think of this as two cases in one. For day to day and around the house, the rear of the case fits nicely on to the Ipad air and makes the screen nice and easy to hold with little chance of it slipping out of hour hand. There are of course the necessary cut outs for camera, headphones and controls. As an added bonus the rear is magnetic and it sticks securely to my fridge. I guess if say you had a recipe on screen or wanted to use it as a photo frame it would be perfect.
Where it comes in to its own is when you add the front cover, which attached reassuringly with a magnet flap. With this in place, the case is the toughest, strongest case I have ever seen. The maganets seem to act as a metal protector. In their advertising, Anker say they have dropped an Ipad several times from 5 feet on to a solid surface with no damage. Well I'm not trying that but I believe what they say. With the case fully on this is an ideal way to carry your Ipad from place to place. The front of the case is a little heavy to carry round all day but I don't think the case is designed for that as it is fully detachable. Also with the front screen attached, the Ipad stands firmly in both portrait and landscape modes.

The surface is a wipe clean black solid plastic and I do prefer it to my original apple leather case. which looks good on day 1 but soon looks marked and shabby.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A premium cable at a regular price, 9 Jan. 2015
Having worn out 2 of my original apple lightning cables in the last year (one replaced by apple under guarantee) I was very keen to try this tangle free cable from Anker. I have used several of their products before and was able to get hold of this as a trial if I wrote an honest review - good or bad.

I have seen this type of premium cable before but usually at more than twice the price. The problem I have with the apple cables is that they are Ok in general use, but if you mistreat them a little - squash them in a pocket or a sports bag, or pull them by accident, before you know it one of the end pieces has pulled away and the wires become exposed.

I don't plan to try it but this solid cable feels like it would take a lot of misuse before it broke. The cable certainly won't tangle - it is slightly flexible but generally rigid. it is made of a very strong nylon braid and has a fabric feel rather thana plastic feel. The cable seems to be extremely firmly attached to both the USB plug and the lightning plug and it seems to be just a much higher quality of cable.

It charges both my iphone and Ipad as usual and both plugs fit securely but not too tight. I have the gold one which matches the gold iphone 6 nicely.

I see it has an 18 month guarantee and I expect that if it broke in that time I would have no problem getting it exchanged by Anker.

Time will tell but I expect that I will still be using this cable in 18 months time.

Bosch Replacement Blade for Bosch Rotak 43 For Corded Lawn Mower
Bosch Replacement Blade for Bosch Rotak 43 For Corded Lawn Mower

5.0 out of 5 stars I should have bought this 2 years ago, 31 Dec. 2014
I have been using the same old blade for 3 years and never quite got round to replacing it. I tried this one and it was like having a new lawnmower. Easy to fit and good value.

10x Hole tidy / Grommets white.For twin cable. Instant Digital Branded U.K
10x Hole tidy / Grommets white.For twin cable. Instant Digital Branded U.K
Offered by Electromart-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars cheap and does its job well, 31 Dec. 2014
perfect for the twin core sky cable. Easy to use and very good value.
Makes the cable out of the wall look neat and tidy

Anker® 60W 6-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone, iPad, Samsung S6 / S6 Edge, Nexus, HTC M9, Nokia, Motorola and More (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for families, 31 Dec. 2014
As a family who has 2 ipads and 2 iphones in regular use, finding 4 plug sockets to put everything on charge at night was annoying. I have bought several products from Amazon and so was very interested when they offered to send me this to try and review. It is about the size of a pack of regular playing cards and has a very solid feel when you pick it up.The charger has an attractive white gloss finish and when plugged in a little blue led light comes on to tell you it is working. It is very straight forward and uses a system where by you can use any of the usb sockets for any product and it works out what charge each of the products needs and delivers it. It isn't a question that say iphones need to be plugged in to certain sockets and ipads in to others.

For the last 2 nights I simply plugged our 4 apple products in to the charger overnight. It is virtually silent in operation and just seems to work fine. I haven't done any specific comparisons, but all the products seem to charge quickly and when my kids came round yesterday at one point we tried 4 iphones and 2 ipads on charge at the same time from a single plug socket and all seemed fine.

I think this will be particularly useful when away from home when sockets are often limited. I note on the charger it says the model works with 100 to 240 volts so would seem to be fine for use in Europe as well as the UK.

So far I am very happy with this and think it will be used all the time.

Anker 40W 5-Port USB Car Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 5; iPad Air 2, mini 3; Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge S5; Note 4 3; Nexus 6 9 and More (White)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for multi device use and for long car journeys, 21 Dec. 2014
As I have bought a few items from Anker, they asked me if I would take a look at this charger and write an honest review. I already have a USB charger for my car so thought that although I would give it a try, it would not prove all that useful. I was wrong.

The charger itself arrived in Anker's usual environmentally friedly brown and white cardboard packaging - no wasted plastic.

There was a little instruction book, which I don't usually bother with, but did in this case. It expalined about their IQ technology. What it does is, which ever device you plug in to it - I've tried Ipad air, iphone 6 and iphone 5S, it works out the power needed and suppies it from which ever port you are using. You don't have to mess about putting say the Ipad in posrt 1 and the iphone in port 5.

When I am in the car I usually just have my iphone on charge. I usually don't bother charging the Ipad. On a recent 30 minute journey I tried charging both at the same time and found it worked perfectly. Both items charged significantly in that time.

On the way home with a passenger, we charged 2 iphones and an Ipad at the same time and again all charged quickly.

Although I haven't been able to try it, I expect 5 items would all charge well at the same time.

It was also useful that the cable from the car charge point to the usb sockets is about 1metre long. This means that the charger can easily be used by people sitting in the back of the car without having to lean over and stretch the cables.

If you just have one device then probably a simple USB car charger would be OK, but for multi device this is perfect.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5