Profile for Mr. Den Browne > Reviews

Content by Mr. Den Browne

Mr. Den Browne "Bigga D" (SW London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters (PC / MAC)
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters (PC / MAC)

1.0 out of 5 stars EA = Extremely Annoying, 19 Jan. 2015
EA built the TW games franchise on the PC versions but now it seems they don't want to be bothered with their older fans. I play games occasionally & don't want to have to buy dedicated gaming equipment like Xbox etc. So it was great to get hold of this & hope we hadn't been forgotten completely. Then I found that in their wisdom EA have withdrawn all online support, in-game upgrades, pro shop - the lot. So what you're left with is a very basic & very clunky game where your poor old golfer is doomed to be on the Road to Nowhere rather than the Masters. Strangely the driving is absurdly easy - almost anything you hit finds it way miraculously to the middle of the fairway. But as other reviewers have noted, the putting is a total lottery & practically impossible. It's a shame, because the courses look great.

I've emailed EA several times asking about these problems but never got any replies.

Live At The Fillmore 1968
Live At The Fillmore 1968

2.0 out of 5 stars I bid you good night, 16 Oct. 2014
First let me say this is one of the best quality live recordings I've come across for its age. The String Band loomed large in me & my friends' teen years, but I found I had to be in exactly the right mood or "state of mind" to get into them even then. I bought this on the strength of some very positive reviews & hoping to be drawn in once more by the old magic. Unfortunately it all feels a bit twee and psychedelic nursery rhymes now - some hopelessly off key singing, too many bells & recorders and other musical whimsy.

I'm looking forward to digging out "Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" & "Wee Tam/Big Huge" later to remind me of my favourite ISB music - meanwhile I'd leave this to the hardcore fans and completists.

Moon [DVD] [2009]
Moon [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Sam Rockwell
Offered by streetsahead

2.0 out of 5 stars The moon who fell to earth, 16 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Moon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I read some very positive things about this film, and was looking forward to seeing it. As a long term Bowie fan, there was the`added appeal of it being directed by his son Duncan Jones. I must own up to not having watched it right to the end as I'd twigged the punch line in the story long before (don' t worry, no spoilers here).

The main character is in charge of a mining unit on the dark side of the moon. All he has for company is a kind of updated Hal super computer/robot from "2001" called Gerty. Gerty is voiced - very well - by Kevin Spacey, but by the time I gave up I was wondering if that's where most of the budget went. Lots of slow scenes on near empty sets. When he ventures outside things get really laughable - the base and moon ranger look like they were knocked up on "Blue Peter".

From the other reviews here I can see I'm in the minority - I had high hopes for this but the script's nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is, I couldn't raise much interest in the main character, and otherwise it just came across as a cut-price mix of undeveloped ideas from "2001" and "The Man Who Fell to Earth", in the end it just felt dull and empty - like space in fact...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2014 1:23 PM BST

The Telegraph
The Telegraph

1.0 out of 5 stars not for me, 11 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Telegraph (App)
couldn't get the app to work on my kindle... bit pointless really when you can read the DT online for free anyway

Bridge V+
Bridge V+

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice to have rubber bridge scoring too, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Bridge V+ (App)
Plays and bids ok - so far I'm really impressed with this. Nice to have rubber bridge scoring too, most games now are duplicate-based. After wasting a fair few bob over the years on rubbish bridge software and/or hand-held bridge games, this is great for a freebie. A few more bidding systems wouldn't go amiss & maybe a "claim" or "concede" button would be good, but overall this is terrific value for (no) money. If you get the upgrade the adverts along the bottom of the screen disappear - well worth it imho.

Barbed Wire Kisses: The Jesus and Mary Chain Story
Barbed Wire Kisses: The Jesus and Mary Chain Story
by Zöe Howe

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Candy Talking, 10 Jun. 2014
One of my favourite authors writing about one of my favourite bands, wonderful! I've been enjoying Zoe Howe's perceptive and sharp music books since the great Slits biog, "Typical Girls?" a few years back, and this is every bit as good. Apart from the main text, there's a really well put together timeline of the JAMC era, & it really took me back to the mid-80's and the inane blandness of the dominant pop scene then.

So it's amusing to find the little snippets I'd read in the NME about this strange new band from Scotland - who reckoned they'd already got their first three albums written in their shared bedroom at home & who played deranged 15 minute live sets generally resulting in riot and mayhem - were part of later Creation/Oasis mainman Alan McGee's desire to be the new Malcolm Maclaren. When put on to them by Bobby Gillespie, he reckoned he'd found his Sex Pistols.

Zoe Howe describes all this in fascinating detail, with some great anecdotes, and enough humour to leaven some of the darker aspects of the story (violence, alcoholism, rip-offs, drugs). Probably the book's strongest point is how willingly all the main protagonists - bar one - have been to talk at length to her about the many twists and turns in the group's career. In the end though the book easily overcomes the lack of direct involvement from the older Reid brother, William. There's been some serious background research, which has turned up plenty of quotes which do enough to show some of the differences between him and Jim.

That's an underlying theme which the author maintains throughout the book: the fact that however much the brothers fight, hate each other and fall out, neither is as good on his own and in the end they can't escape the symbiosis between them. Whether they like it or not, they need each other.

Like one of the other reviewers here, my enjoyment was enhanced by digging out a stack of old JAMC tapes and discs. If in any doubt as to the validity of a book about a couple of weirdoes from East Kilbride, just listen to the astonishing "Darklands" album and be transported back to 1987 - and a time when we really did need a pair of black-clad loons with freaky hair emerging from a storm of feedback and distortion to fight against the Stock Aitken Waterman tide.

Some more pictures would've been nice, but that's about my only gripe. Apart from the timeline and a handy "Where Are They Now?" feature (intriguing how many JAMC people have gone on to careers in design or graphic arts) there's a comprehensive JAMC discography too. This is a must-read for anyone interested in the formative days of the indie scene and anyone who's ever felt the timeless power of black leather and squalling feedback.

From Albion to Shangri-La: Journals and Tour Diaries 2008 - 2013
From Albion to Shangri-La: Journals and Tour Diaries 2008 - 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Boonered Again, 27 May 2014
Atmospheric and authentic insight into the mind, music & life of Peter Doherty. It's all been assembled by Nina Antonia with characteristic insight and sensitivity. Her introduction is the best writing here by a long way. The tour diaries and interview between Nina and Peter at the end are fascinating too, as are the photos and illustrations.

In between these highpoints are a mass of lyrics, thoughts, observations and other fragments, some more developed than others. They accumulate to create an overall demi-mondain, four-in-the-morning atmosphere, and at times feel like eavesdropping on someone else's all night dope session.

LiveScore
LiveScore

5.0 out of 5 stars global scores, 23 April 2014
This review is from: LiveScore (App)
love it! every major score on the planet in real-time - never mind domestic preoccupations, now you can find out how Kaiser Chiefs, Petrolul Ploesti and everyone else is doing. Great free app

Backgammon Free
Backgammon Free

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive FREE game, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Backgammon Free (App)
Really impressed so far by this app. Over the years I've bought some really disappointing backgammon pc games, so wasn't holding my breath when I downloaded this one. First few games on levels 1 & 2 confirmed my fears - e.g. computer opponent aimlessly shuffling his pieces round when I'm bearing mine off (and getting a suspicious amount of doubles & 'perfect throws'). Since then I've tried levels 4 & 5 which has really changed my mind - I've had some great , very realistic tactical battles & the pc opponent is really testing (and doesn't get non-stop double 6's either).
The interface is nice & intuitive, and very easy to use. I'm a really bad sleeper, so this is a great addition to my ways of staying sane at night!

Floradix Iron Supplement Tablets 84 Tablets
Floradix Iron Supplement Tablets 84 Tablets

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tablets, but...., 31 Jan. 2014
I've had to take iron supplements several times over the past years due to low blood count etc. Some of the tablets I've taken had pretty unpleasant side effects - don't worry, I'm not going into details - and from reading other reviews it's clear this is a general problem. So I'm delighted to say that so far these pills have done what they're supposed to without any problems. I'm also feeling a lot livelier instead of being washed-out most of the time.

There is one problem tho - I don't understand how anyone can justify the postal charges here. Given the weight of the packet, even if it was sent First Class it wouldn't come anywhere near the figure charged. Fortunately I had no trouble finding them at my local supermarket

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6