Profile for M. Bennett > Reviews

Content by M. Bennett

M. Bennett "mikebennett4" (London)

Asus M5A78L-M LE Motherboard (Socket AM3+, DDR3, Micro ATX, 5200MT/s, Turbo key)

4.0 out of 5 stars usual quality from Asus, 1 Jan 2012
Been using Asus motherboards for quite a while. Never had any issues with Asus so never seen the need to change from them. Board is well laid out with connectors around the edge which makes connections easier. Would be useful if it had the quick connect block for the front panel connections that my old board had but thats a minor quibble. manual doesn't show the correct location for the front panel audio. Also would be better if the pictures were a little larger so my old eyes could read them better. Quick enlarge photcopy took care of that,but that's my problem not theirs!

Nice smallish board seems to work well so far. Good value

Imagine Me and You [DVD] [2005]
Imagine Me and You [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Piper Perabo

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised, 4 Feb 2008
Its a testament to how well this film was made is that I never even thought of it as a Lesbian Movie until I saw Amazons classification or a hollywood movie until I read the reviews here.

Not a world beating moving but the sort of movie I like. Quiet, about people, no special effects, set in my adopted home city and with a good cast that you get so often in British movies. I guess because they don't have to pay ridiculous amounts for the stars.

I guess the best compliment I can give it is that its like a French movie a la Rohmer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2009 2:01 PM BST

Fallen
Fallen
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars What do you play after it?, 10 Jan 2004
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
I always feel sad when this album finishes. There should be more. I never know what to play after it. Its such a tour de force that I think all that can follow it is silence. It flows brilliantly and the mixture of heavy with orchestral has been tried before but rarely with such good effect. It scary to hear the words "I want to die" scremed on an album but it works.
This is the album of 2003. Lets hope they don't have the second (or is it third) album problem with the follow up that a lot of people seem to have. I can hardly wait to find out!

Unplugged
Unplugged

5.0 out of 5 stars Not enough stars available, 2 Jan 2004
This review is from: Unplugged (Audio CD)
for this album which is almost up to the quality of Live Rust. The collection of tracks works well and is a good representation of the extreme highs and lows of his output. It may not feature Cowgirl in the Sand or Cortez but the versions of Helpless, Unknown Legend, Harvest Moon , well in fact every track, represent excellent versions of these tracks. That is what works so well with Neil Youngs music, acoustic versions sound as good as the more "heavy" versions.
As previously stated in one of the other reviews, the star of this collection is Like a Hurricane. the use of the pump organ was inspired.
If you need to try Neil Young, as everyone should, this album gives you one side of the equation. Try Live Rust for the other.

Life for Rent
Life for Rent
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than bad its bland, 14 Oct 2003
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
Welcome to the cod poached in milk of albums. I would respect this album more if it was bad but it isn't, it is totally bland. No Angel was a brilliant album, I think she has a brilliant voice but that just doesn't carry an album. Its second album syndrome again. There are two tracks that just about lift this album out of the "straight to lift muzak" category. Maybe it'll grow on me! I hope so.

A Very Peculiar Practice: The Complete First Series [1986] [DVD]
A Very Peculiar Practice: The Complete First Series [1986] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Davison

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make them like this anymore, 19 Aug 2003
Beiderbecke, Very Peculiar Practice, Edge of Darkness are but three series from the 80's which combine a dry, sometimes ironic, humour with social comment.
You won't laugh out loud like you would with Morecambe and Wise, Tommy Cooper etc. but this humour is equally valid. I guess I would call it satire.
The central character of Dr Daker, an innocent in a world of almost Smiley like intrigue, is played with perfection by Peter Davidson. But then a lot of the other characters are played so well, I think this is why these sort of series work so well.
The second series was even more weird, a bit like the later parts of Twin Peaks, but I still look forward to its release.
I wouldn't expect this to work for all people but it certainly works for me.

The London Encyclopaedia
The London Encyclopaedia
by Christopher Hibbert

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic resource, 15 July 2003
I was amazed to find this book. It details lots of things about London that you didn't know you wanted to know!
Although I understand that not everyone can cope with London I find it a wonderful place to live. This book enhances the experience enabling one to find out trivial facts about places and areas of London. The one disadvantage is the inability to go back in time to look at how things would have been when you find some fascinating fact!

Arrivals & Departures
Arrivals & Departures
by Leslie Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars The bitter sweet comedy of Leslie Thomas never fails, 7 Sep 2001
This review is from: Arrivals & Departures (Paperback)
Leslie Thomas writes a well researched novel which always has a bitter sweet element to the comedy. You may not split your sides laughing but you feel better despite the fact you could be moved to tears.
The story revolves around a collection of characters who live and / or work around Heathrow. It highlights the way in which the airport itself is a town within a town. Its also a love story that doesn't need explicitness to convey the passion, in fact its almost understated. It also highlights the way relationships can fail if they are not nurtured.
Thomas's characters are always well written and almost recognisable in real life, not real people but parts of people you know. They elicit the feeling that this is a person you could like or dislike although negative characters are rare in his books.
He also researches his subject matter well and his knowledge fits in well with my own experiences of travel by air.
Reading a Thomas book is never a disappointment and this is one of his better ones. It has a strong, realistic subject matter , strong characters and believable situations. You feel for the characters, you don't want the story to end.

Tropic Of Ruislip
Tropic Of Ruislip
by Leslie Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Thomas's bitter sweet comedy observes suburbia so well, 26 Mar 2001
This review is from: Tropic Of Ruislip (Paperback)
Leslie Thomas tends to write a particular style of wry comedy that has a bitter sweet edge. Only very occasionally do you split your sides laughing! However his writing tends to amuse.
In this book Thomas observes the meanderings of a man approaching middle age in the synthetic surroundings of a newish estate in suburbia. He chooses an area just outside London (probably Carpenders Park just south of Watford) where London is an influence not a lifestyle.
He gives his hero (the right word or not ?) an affair with a much younger girl (wishful thinking?) which removes him for a brief while from his humdrum existence but the real plot is the observance of so much human life which seems to be the same but very different. The keenly observed characters could be any of ones neighbours or even ourselves. Thomas also highlights one of the great problems of life, inertia. People in his book could have such a good life if only they pushed!
A lot of people's hypocrisy is exposed but in such a way that you couldn't really condemn for it.
In the end the central character proves himself a hero but even then his wife questions his motives.
Not a book for all, some people will not get it, but one of his best. That is high praise given his standard of work.

Around the Next Dream
Around the Next Dream

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 15 Mar 2001
This review is from: Around the Next Dream (Audio CD)
This is one of those albums thats always in my car. Its dangerous because I lose myself in it to the concern of other drivers! I have been known to repeat Why does love have to go wrong three times before being sated.
The updating of the Cream style is just stunning with Moore's beguiling guitar, Bakers maniacal drumming and Bruces voice. I don't know how I stumbled on this but I did my duty and alerted several of my friends to it for which they thanked me.
Its up there with Hotel California and Harvest Moon.