Profile for Michael J. Wilson > Reviews

Content by Michael J. Wilson

Michael J. Wilson "mikeschnetler" (York, GB)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
iPad for Seniors For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
iPad for Seniors For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
by Nancy C. Muir

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful but........, 24 April 2014
I bought this for my wife, who although an experienced Windows PC user, was 'jumping ship' to AppleMac. We have ended up with three of these publications, as no single one has all the answers. The book is the usual 'dummies' format, which I have found useful in the past for Windows systems. None of them has answered all the basic questions, although there is ample information concerning all the multifarious things you can do with this equipment. Hence I give it three stars. The system is different from mainstream Apple ones, such as Maverick, which I find easy. This one though presents a challenge and maybe we are more 'dummy' than we thought - hence such books! As a footnote, due to our experiences, I have opted for a Chromebook, which is just dandy.

HP Chromebook 11
HP Chromebook 11

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome little stranger, 16 April 2014
I opted for this after much thinking and reading product reviews. Having ditched all Windows except for an old laptop, my wife's iPad Mini seemed a mite mysterious - I wanted something portable with a keyboard, and I've always hankered after an HP product. So I went for it. After a week it seems ideal. It picks up wifi from the far side of the house - through three concrete block walls, which even challenge a MacBook. It has done everything I wanted so far. I would go as far as saying that the two desktop Macs will receive less usage in future as the HP is oh, so handy. Still, it is early days yet, but I give it five stars.
Update: after a month away in Ibiza, this little gem has excelled itself. My only criticism is the seemingly ultra sensitive cursor, which tends to initiate any hyper link in passing - or maybe I just need to be more careful? Also, sometimes the trackpad/cursor seems 'sticky' and I have to try the other finger.....?! Finally, the free download 'solitaire' card game is titled 'Klondyke' and the court cards are all the queen, with a moustache and K-Q-J to denote the actual ranking. Bizarre! Yes, still a full 5 points - highly recommended.

Belkin Slim Protective Sleeve with Carry Handle and Zipped Storage for Chromebooks, Netbooks and Laptops up to 13 inch - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars New bag for new Chrome book, 16 April 2014
This Belkin carrying case for up to 13inch tablets looks unobtrusive and seems ideal. The smaller flat front pocket can accept a few sheets/notes etc. The zips are well concealed. I welcome it.

Bortniansky: I Worship The Power Of Love
Bortniansky: I Worship The Power Of Love

4.0 out of 5 stars Schwarze Augen (Black eyes) classic, 1 April 2014
Astrid Harzbecker sings this classic song pretty well, with just about the right timbre, although others have sung it in a more provocative way. She has quite a following in southern Germany and is sometimes to be seen in TV shows from there. If you enjoy a sultry song with a hint of eastern promise - this could be for you.

La Pastorella
La Pastorella

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: La Pastorella (MP3 Download)
This Dolomite mountain area choir present this classic with their usual style. A very beautiful song and well worth listening to.

Wolgaschlepper
Wolgaschlepper

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic favourite, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Wolgaschlepper (MP3 Download)
Once again the Don Kosaken choir give their version of this all time classical song of the Volga boatmen. The bass tones give it the extra resonance. Recommended.

La Paloma
La Paloma

5.0 out of 5 stars Evergreen, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: La Paloma (MP3 Download)
Every man and his dog has sung this classic, and the well known Montanara choir give it all they've got. Easy, pleasant listening and highly recommended.

Vycherni Zvon (Evening Bells)
Vycherni Zvon (Evening Bells)

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving but different, 24 Mar. 2014
An interesting version of this well known folk song. If you like Russian choirs, this is enjoyably different; and makes an interesting comparison with the Montanara version sung in German.

Abendglocken
Abendglocken

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Abendglocken (MP3 Download)
This is a warming rendition of a Russian (?) classic, of evening church bells. Very peaceful and moving. (Compare with the Russian version by Slavyanka, which is lovely, but less melodic)

La Montanara
La Montanara

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic from La Montanara choir, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: La Montanara (MP3 Download)
This Italo/German choir is a favourite for folk songs of the Dolomite mountain area. This is just one of the full range of numbers they have made. Quite uplifting. A good buy!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20