Profile for Alies > Reviews

Alies (Netherlands)

Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 1 Box Set [2005] [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 1 Box Set [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christopher Eccleston
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Doctor Who Ever, 14 Jan. 2011
It's this series of Doctor Who that got me introduced to the world of The Doctor. What me made watch this show was the concept of an Alien traveling through time and space. Discovering that. Experiencing that. What me made fall in love was the connection between this Alien (The Doctor) and his newest companion Rose Tyler. A girl we'd love to relate to, weren't it for the fact we don't just meet Timelords.

The serie itselves is really fun to watch. Especially the episodes Rose, The Unquiet Dead, The Empty Child Two-parter, Father's Day and the finals dug their way to a special place in my heart.
Christopher Eccleston's Doctor is a man being burdened by the past. He's once again regaining to see the fun in his life as a timetraveler when he meets Rose. And you see how they get along with each other. And both Eccleston as Piper play this so well!
I love the fact that Rose has a family that cares about her. Causing some sad, difficult, funny and beautiful moments as the series progresses. Also the background story of her deceased father made a great episode. It all adds up to the believability of the show.

The DVDbox comes with great extras. Like interviews and trailers. Also shortened confidentionals. As someone who didn't catch it when it was live it's sad not to be able to see the whole of them. But at least it's something.

Great show. Next to series 5 it's also a great way to get introduced to the series.

Doctor Who - The Movie [1996] [DVD] [1963]
Doctor Who - The Movie [1996] [DVD] [1963]
Dvd ~ Paul McGann

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 14 Jan. 2011
I believe it requires some basic interest in Doctor Who in order to like this. The first time I tried to watch it, I wasn't really known to Doctor Who and switched it off quite rapidly.
But when I got into the series I tried it again. This time I found it quite enjoyable. Not reaching my Doctor Who standards, but enjoyable.

The problem with this movie is that it's focusing on a too broad group. Where it's now partly in hands of the Americans it looses it's charm; the charm of it all being/feeling British. The ambiance being British. It tries to reach a new audience, where it gets too much Americanised.
It also adds facts to the canon that the Doctor Who fans back then did not appreciate. The Doctor half human?! Where did that come from? Yes, it would bring the Doctor closer to the audience. But there the most important group was forgotten; the fans.
Also I wouldn't mind if the Master, played by Eric Roberts would be turned into some kind of imposer of the Master. It will never be my favourite Master, where it did not fit the portrayals of those who had gone before and after him.

But enough about the bad sides of this work. Back to the good things.
It really nicely gives closure to those who watched Doctor Who before it was stopped. The Seventh Doctor could finally write the end of his chapter and rest in peace. Leaving his role to an enthusiast new Doctor. Paul McGann.
The Doctor forgetting things was a really nice concept. As a potentional new viewer it is great to figure out who he was alongside him. The Doctor might be a bit weird, but you warm for him. He's funny. He's charming. You feel sorry for him. His road to discovering himself is fascinating.

In the end it's an enjoyable movie. It's biggest problem is that it has been adapted too much to the (new) American audience. But Paul McGann does a great job playing the eight Doctor.

Top Trumps Doctor Who - Pack 4
Top Trumps Doctor Who - Pack 4
Offered by LizMc92

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 14 Jan. 2011
First of all; this game has good graphics. Therefor I don't think it's just a game, but also a bit of a collector's item for fans of Doctor Who. The characters are not only from Series 5, but also the Series 4 Specials. Sadly, David's Doctor is not included. Gladly, the Master is!
The game is something you can play for hours. Sometimes it can manage to bore you; causing you to count the cards in order to have a winner. But I suppose that's a common thing with cardgames anyway.
It's really something you can only play when someone joins you. That can be tricky, especially when none around you likes Doctor Who or is into playing games.

It's easy to play. And because of the graphics is not only just a game, but also some sort of collectors item. With a bit of imagination you and your friends can use them to play other things than just Top Trumps, where me and my friends tried to act like the character in our card on order to be guessed by the others who it was.

Doctor Who: Series 5
Doctor Who: Series 5

4.0 out of 5 stars Geronimo!, 14 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Doctor Who: Series 5 (Audio CD)
First of all I want to pay attention to the artwork of this CD. Great new logo. Nice picture of the Doctor and Amy in action. The never to be forgotten TARDIS on the background and the most important of this season's show: the Crack in the Wall. Also the inside of the CD is stunning. The skittle Daleks greet you! The Doctor looks at you, begging you to play the CD he's printed on.
The little booklet inside will treat you with nice pictures from the show. Murray Gold himself writes a little piece to introduce the soundtrack. Next he tells a little something about the songs that have featured under a particular episode of the 5th series.
When accesing the second CD you'll see River Song on the back ground. On the CD the companion of the Doctor is printed: Amy Pond. Conclusion: The Graphics are wonderfull!

The system of flipping the CD confused me a little and therefor I broke the case. Where I'm used to get to the second CD like flipping a page in a book; this time it was the other way around. Be carefull not to make the same mistake, where it now causes me problems with closing the CD when I'm finished listening.

The music itselves it wonderfull. Most of the song make you relive the show you've watched on the television. Personal favourites are The Sun's Gone Wibbly; I Am The Doctor; Amy in the TARDIS; With Love, Vincent; A River Of Tears.
The songs are able to get you into the mood they want you to be. Especially With Love, Vincent had me in tears where the song made me think of the beautiful but sad scene being played in the episode. The River Song songs give you a feeling of mystery.
And the Doctor's theme (I Am The Doctor) returns in many ways in other songs of the soundtrack. I especially like the appearance of it in the end of Amy in the TARDIS, where the drumming kicks in. But if it were a little bit longer it would have been even more epic.

I'd suggest this to all who loved Doctor Who series 5 and to those who like Soundtracks in general.

Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD]
Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern and New, 14 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Sherlock: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Sherlock. As a Doctor Who fan I as bound to watch this with enthusiasm. But the fact that it was written by two writers of the Doctor Who team had me doubting to watch it. I thought that the cries - about how brilliant this show was - weren't 100% objective, where I only heard the side of the 'Whovians'. So I didn't follow it untill it came on the Dutch televion.

How wrong I was to assume that my fellow Whovians were only telling half the truth. When I saw my first Sherlock episode, the BBC could be sure they had another buyer.

The episodes are great fun to watch. Clever written. Enough humor. Quite some oneliners. And very well adapted to our 21th century. The use of mobile phones and other modern objects and software, translating old object into new (old watch to mobile phone, Watson's diary to a blog, Holmes' articles in the newspaper to a website); it was all done perfectly.
Next to that: The writing is original. I love how the authors used those tiny details from the original Doyle stories and yet made brand new out of it. This by mixing different stories into one episode and by taking a complete other turn with the details they've picked out from the original. I like that it is original and new. Cuz if we were to stay 100% true to the stories: Wouldn't the adaptations being made bore us in the end? Wouldn't the original stories loose their uniqueness?

Next to the three already broadcasted episodes this DVD has more things to offer.
First of all the pilot. It was great to watch and see the differences between this 60-minute episode and the 90-minute A Study in Pink. Compared to the later, the pilot looks of lesser quality. But then again they did a very decent job! Where it's shorter it's bound to have differences to the final one, and therefor is something you should really watch. Though while having watched this, my little brother guessed the outcome too early on.
Secondly we have Unlocking Sherlock. Very informative piece of work about how Sherlock came to exist. A bit behind of the scenes. Very nice.
Finally the commentary. Interesting and funny listening material. It's like being part of the conversation yourself. One thing that dissapoints me a little bit is that the commentaries only give the subtitles from the actual episode that's being discussed. For none native speakers or people with hearing problems that's a bit difficult. Manageable, but difficult.

I'd say: If you like Sherlock Holmes, or you like modern detectives: You should really try this out.

Doctor Who End of Time 5" Action Figure: THE MASTER
Doctor Who End of Time 5" Action Figure: THE MASTER
Offered by Millsons Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Masterly, 14 Jan. 2011
It's been a little while since I've bought this toy and it still doesn't bore me. It's not that I play with it. For me it's more of an collector's item. But I don't get tired looking at it.
I believe that it resembles the actor/character from Doctor Who's End of Time quite well: The Master by John Simm. You even get the suggestion of his beard and dirty face. I like how his hands aren't in the usual position, making it more natural. His trousers and schoes are made to look old and used.
The bodyparts are quite moveable, sothat different poses are possible.

The only problem is that his red shirt prevents him from being able to sit down. So he has to keep standing (Unless you want him to do the polka). The figure has enough balance to keep standing on his place, but there mustn't be too much vibration or he will loose it.

I'd advice to buy this if you love Doctor Who. And especially if you have a thing for the Master or just really loved The End of Time two-parter.

Complete Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Library Collection)
Complete Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Library Collection)
by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Work!, 14 Jan. 2011
I've received this a week ago and read it between study preperations now. I always knew about Sherlock Holmes existing, but never got interested enough to watch or read something about him. But in recent years my interest for British literature and tv-shows started growing. This is how I got in touch with the real Sherlock Holmes instead of the 2d mentional stereotype that has been given before.

I wanted to read the original works about Sherlock Holmes. And I was suggested by a group of Sherlock Holmes fans to take a look at this edition. If you are just checking the stories of Holmes out, I'd advice you not to buy one story at first, but start with something as great as this. It's not expensive, so it wouldn't be a too much of a waste of your money if you decide this was not made for you. And if you like it, you'll not have to wait till you've bought another edition with another story to continue to read those great adventures.

The novel is quite big, but from my experiences with it so far I can say it's manageable. Reading at the table is not required. I've read in it in bed and on the sofa.
Also for those who are not native speakers of English - like I am myself - it's quite readable. It's not too difficult usage of the language. I even suggested it to my younger brother who isn't quite a reader. And I myself am dyslectic.

One point of slight negativeness is that fact that the paper is really thin. The reason for this is that it makes the novel less bigger and less heavy. But when reading the novel, you will leave some fingerprints behind on the paper. And I advice you to stay away from any liquid, for it will affect more than just a few pages when you drop only a little bit.

But then again that's just a tiny thing about the whole greatness of this novel. I'd suggest it to anyone willing to try Sherlock Holmes out.