Profile for Steve Astronaut > Reviews

Content by Steve Astronaut

Steve Astronaut (Moon Base Bristol)

Page: 1 | 2
The Insect Trust
The Insect Trust
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Folk-Rock-Jazz Dream, 2 July 2014
This review is from: The Insect Trust (Audio CD)
Objectively I could have given four stars, but I do love it. This has pretty much got everything you could want from a sixties San Francisco band. It's got folk-blues, rock, jazz. I'm tempted to describe it as post-modern in it's blending of styles but post-modernism hadn't been invented then. And that might make it sound more serious than it is, this is feel good fun music. The cover versions range from Skip James 'Special Rider Blues' to Gabor Szabo's 'Walking On Nails'. For some reason it's not as easily found as their second album which I personally don't rate as highly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2015 3:18 PM BST

Interstellar Overdrive: The Shindig! Guide To Spacerock
Interstellar Overdrive: The Shindig! Guide To Spacerock
by Austin Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars Set The Controls..., 2 July 2014
If you are at all interested in this topic I urge you to get this. Excellent articles on the obvious bands but also lots about lesser known artists which has led to interesting new listening for me. Brilliant.

World Music
World Music

5.0 out of 5 stars HeaVY PSYCHeDeLiC KRauTRoCK aFRoBeaT GRooVeS, 15 April 2014
This review is from: World Music (Audio CD)
I ordered this one after seeing TV coverage of their Glastonbury performance and it's great. They've taken a combination of heavy psychedelic krautrock afrobeat grooves and chants and mashed it all up into something that is their own. It could be considered 'record collection rock' with all those influences but I don't care because it sounds like they've got great record collections. And it's not just 70's sounds either, it reminds me of The Slits at times. If they build on this they will be unstoppable.

Strange Celestial Road
Strange Celestial Road
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars SPaCe eXPLoRaTioN, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Strange Celestial Road (Audio CD)
This was the first Sun Ra album I heard, sold to me by a friend who thought it was not far out enough! Since then I don't know how many Ra albums I've heard, I own about forty, but this is the one I would recommend to anyone as a place to start. It's a well recorded live set with some great tunes and it grooves. Space exploration indeed.

Highlights From The Complete Miles Davis At Montreux
Highlights From The Complete Miles Davis At Montreux

5.0 out of 5 stars “Man, sometimes it takes you a long time to sound like yourself.”, 9 Dec. 2013
Apart from the opening track from 1973 this is all from the eighties. And you might expect that track to be the highlight, after all Miles was past his prime by the eighties right? Wrong. This is good stuff. OK, the next track, Speak, has a bit of a clod-hopping rhythm but from there on it's a treat. And much better than you might expect from his studio albums of the era.
I would say this is better than any of the other Miles live recordings from this decade. Possibly it's the selection but also the recording is excellent. Sure, as far as playing goes Miles is not always on form like he used to be. But it's still his music and it's still not quite like anyone else's.
I've recently become a bit obsessed with the 1986 performance here. At the time Miles thought the recording should be his next album but Warners claimed the recording was not good enough. One track is not enough but there's no way I can afford the full box set. Fortunately someone has put it on Youtube so I can watch that. Check it out, you'll probably want to buy this afterwards.

Sonic Youth's "Daydream Nation" (33 1/3 series)
Sonic Youth's "Daydream Nation" (33 1/3 series)
by Matthew Stearns

1.0 out of 5 stars Daydream Nation deserves better., 2 Nov. 2013
I wrote a detailed review of this book some weeks ago with quotes illustrating exactly why I thought it was awful. That review has not appeared here which leads me to suspect that the reviews we see are cherry picked while giving an illusion of being free expression.
Anyhow I did not enjoy this book which reads like an extended review/description of the album. There is some evidence of an interview with Lee Renaldo but for a book length work there is very little insight here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2013 2:04 PM GMT

Magic Malik Orchestra
Magic Malik Orchestra
Offered by I.R.D. International Records Dist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere between Morocco and Canterbury, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Magic Malik Orchestra (Audio CD)
I love this CD. It's jazz but with an arabic twist that somehow reminds me of Soft Machine and the Canterbury bands.

Hermeto +
Hermeto +

4.0 out of 5 stars Lively, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Hermeto + (Audio CD)
I bought this knowing nothing of Huw Warren, but being a fan of Hermeto Pascoal I was sufficiently intrigued. It's pretty much a standard piano trio format, no great suprises (apart from some electronic drum sounds on one track and occasional accordion). On first listen it was pleasant enough but with repeated listens it has grown on me. It's lively while still being light and is currently on repeat play while I'm in the kitchen. H.W. is not necessarily the most distinctive stylist but his solos for the most part manage to sustain interest. It's perhaps a little more 'wine bar' than it could have been, maybe there should have been some pigs in the studio. Or chickens. Enjoyable all the same.

Full Circle
Full Circle

5.0 out of 5 stars Seminal Non-Reggae Dub Experiment, 18 May 2012
This review is from: Full Circle (Audio CD)
This CD is an expansion of what was originally a 12" EP back when it was originally released way back in the 20th century. I remember as a 19 year old listening to these four tracks nine times in one sitting. It was a real ear opener. Opening to the use of the mixing desk as an instrument (which was obviously influenced by dub reggae but also by Czukay and Liebezeit's background in German experimental music, particularly Stockhausen) and opening to the use of 'found sound' (Czukay's short wave radio recordings and use of the dictaphone pre-empting the invention of digital sampling).
Listening to it today it still moves and excites, especially the opening and closing tracks. Recommended for all lovers of the work of Wobble and Can...

Jazz Play Along  Volume 80   Jimi Hendrix All Inst Book/Cd (Hal Leonard Jazz Play-Along)
Jazz Play Along Volume 80 Jimi Hendrix All Inst Book/Cd (Hal Leonard Jazz Play-Along)
by VARIOUS

3.0 out of 5 stars Jazz Not Rock, 18 Jan. 2012
Just to balance the other reviewers I think it fair to say that this is a "jazz play-along" and is really aimed at jazz musicians rather than rock guitarists. If you want to get to grips with the great man's style and technique there are other more suitable products out there, but if you want to improvise in your own way with Hendrix's tunes then this is fun.

Page: 1 | 2