Profile for speculatrix > Reviews

speculatrix (Cambridge, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Zalman ZM-VE400 Enclosure for 2.5 inch S-ATA Virtual Drive/Hard Drive - White
Zalman ZM-VE400 Enclosure for 2.5 inch S-ATA Virtual Drive/Hard Drive - White

4.0 out of 5 stars great performance, minor annoying niggles, very useful device for anyone who regularly installs or fixes computers., 12 Dec 2014
I would give this five stars if there were less technical niggles with the device, because it's practically unique in what it does, which is to act as a USB hard drive and also allow files on the drive to be used to make it act as a USB DVD drive.

I've found it to be very fast for data transfer, and pretty quick when acting as a virtual DVD drive.

Pros: very quick with USB3 feature, quite well made, has a hybrid mode
where it operates simultaneously as a hard drive (you have to fit your own 2.5" sata drive) and a
DVD drive

Cons: the ISOs have to be stored on the first partition which has to be
- a primary partition
- NTFS formatted (so as to support large files I suppose)
- 512 byte sector size
- compression disabled
- no or virtually no fragmentation

I've tried using a FAT32 or ext3 partition for storing ISOs but no luck.

ELTD® PU Leather Cover Case For LG G Pad 8.3 With Sleeping Function & Stand Function (For LG G Pad 8.3, Green III)
Offered by X-FlashBox

4.0 out of 5 stars fit my G Pad well, 15 Jun 2014
as many people have observed,the cover extends beyond the end of the screen a bit, I see that as a good thing in providing a little more protection.
all in all this is a nicely made cover and I'm quite pleased.

TheBlingZ.® 2M meter Micro USB Strong Braided Data Sync Charger Cable for Nokia HTC Blackberry Samsung Galaxy S S2 S3 S4 Note 2 ACE mini - Red
Offered by TheBlingZ.

4.0 out of 5 stars good length cable fairly well made, 15 Jun 2014
Most microusb cables are quite short, 1m or less, and are often cheap and badly made. I was specifically looking for a longer cable which was well made, and I was quite pleased with this one.

Gigabyte GA-J1900N-D3V Motherboard (Intel Celeron J1900, USB 3.0, DDR3L, SATA 300, Mini ITX, PCI, Mini-PCI Express)

3.0 out of 5 stars update the BIOS to version 3 before you do anything else, 29 May 2014
I DO NOT RECOMMEND BUYING THIS BOARD unless you have reasonable skills in updating BIOSes etc. It will ONLY work with Windows 8.1 until updated.

This is v1.0 of the board which comes with the incredibly buggy F1 version of the BIOS which ONLY boots UEFI installers, which means using Windows 8.1 to upgrade the bios to the much better F3 version, available for download on Gigabyte's site. [...]

The @BIOS app listed in the support section for this specific Gigabyte board won't install; use the generic BIOS flasher from here: [...]

If you don't have a Windows 8.1 key, it can be installed with a generic temporary key which lasts a few days - google for "windows 8.1 generic key".

the J1800 board is very similar and you should be able to find a useful discussion of how to flash its bios etc
[...]
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2014 10:32 AM BST

Anker® 1900mAh Li-ion Battery For HTC Sensation, Sensation XE, EVO 3D
Anker® 1900mAh Li-ion Battery For HTC Sensation, Sensation XE, EVO 3D
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars a repeat happy customer of Anker, 21 May 2014
I previously bought an Anker battery for a Galaxy Note 2 and it was very bit as good as the original Samsung, both when new and was still good when a year old.
I was therefore happy to consider an Anker battery for my wife's HTC Sensation, and indeed this battery fulfilled my expectation - it's clearly made with good quality materials, fits the phone perfectly, charges up without problems just as quickly as it should and has restored the phone to operating for a whole day.

Because I am wary of cheap fakes, I bought from Anker Direct, and they met all my hopes and expectations.

Avantree Cara Bluetooth Stereo In-Car Handsfree Kit - Black
Avantree Cara Bluetooth Stereo In-Car Handsfree Kit - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars used daily, 15 Mar 2014
TL,DR: Would I buy one again?

I have had one for nearly three whole months now and it gets used daily; it's attached to the fixed part of my steering wheel shaft, and connects to the AUX adaptor (third party product which uses CD jukebox interface) on my Ford big-button radio.

On the plus sides:,
* the sound quality using AptX from my Sony Xperia Z Ultra is very good
* the volume levels are plenty for driving the radio well, to the point where I back off the volume level one or two levels to prevent distortion
* microphone seems reasonably good - people tell me my speech is fairly clear

On the downsides
* the power switch, audio out and microUSB are a bit close, this can make turning it on and off a little bit fiddly
* sometimes the power switch doesn't engage properly and I have to re-power-cycle it.
* noise isolation isn't perfect, when its charging it can leak noise into the car radio, so if I'm listening to music with a wide dynamic range I run it on its internal battery

What I don't know:
* I don't know how long the battery in it lasts, I've used it for at least an hour.

Other points:
* you could use this in your phone with some active speakers as well as in the car, provided you have a USB socket to provide power for it
* it will also drive headphones too, so you could at a pinch use it to convert corded phones to a wireless hands-free.
* it is really quite small, held easily in the palm of your hand, so is easy to find space for it in your car
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2014 5:34 PM GMT

Yamaha Pacifica 012 EW Full Size Electric Guitar - Exotic Wood Tobacco Brown Sunburst

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful guitar, 23 Dec 2013
bought one of these for my son, is beautifully made and has a lovely tone, much nice than most other guitars of its price which aren't discounted.

Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack
Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars a simple but effective product, 27 Aug 2013
I bought this for my Panasonic Lumix G5, anticipating the onset of the british autumn weather. It's overly big for a bridge or small DSLR like the Lumixes, but easy enough to cut down to size.

I've not used it yet, but because its light and folds up neatly, I can carry it in my daily camera bag and not worry about being burdened.

For the price then I would say it's a four-star product.

A Tall Tail: A Tor.Com Original
A Tall Tail: A Tor.Com Original

5.0 out of 5 stars this is covered at Tor books?, 3 Aug 2013
you can read more about this at Tor books
[...]

"is by Charles Stross, a British SF author who now lives in Scotland"

UPLAY-PUCK Bluetooth Receiver with Apt-X Technology
UPLAY-PUCK Bluetooth Receiver with Apt-X Technology
Offered by AudioVisual Online

4.0 out of 5 stars comparison with Arcam rBlink?, 6 July 2013
If this bluetooth receiver had digital out I would definitely get it.

I'd be very interested to know if someone gets an Arcam rBlink and can compare with this?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3