Profile for B. Grewcock > Reviews

Content by B. Grewcock

B. Grewcock "Brook G" (Leicester, England)

Page: 1 | 2
EDGE - Battle Books: Hastings
EDGE - Battle Books: Hastings
by Gary Smailes

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 9 Jun. 2013
I bought this after hearing some good words spoken about it and I was rather impressed. I learned a lot about the Battle Of Hastings and I found the Interactive Fiction story structure to have a really interesting connection to be subject matter.

In the story you play William The Conqueror and make choices that will either lead you to victory or defeat. Things that we are fairly sure happened during the battle are fixed points in the story that must happen for you as a reader to win. Things that we don't know, like if Harold was killed by a sword or an arrow, is left open for the reader to choose a path. This means that there is a little replayability, but once you have completed a successful read through, you know one of the ways that the battle might have chronologically worked out. This results in the story being a lot more historically accurate than I was of expected and it never strays too far into fictional make believe.

Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black
Sony NWZE474 8GB MP3 Walkman Player - Black
Offered by MACnificent

3.0 out of 5 stars Unsuitable as an audiobook player, 24 Jan. 2013
I bought on of these to listen to audiobooks in the car on the way to and from work. The construction of the unit is great, sound quality better than my old iPod and things where great for the first week. However on the Monday morning when I plugged the Walkman into my car's stereo, I found that the Walkman had lost my place. After contacting Sony and experimenting I discovered that the Walkman has a screen off mode, a sleep mode and a hibernate mode mode. The hibernate mode is triggered when the device isn't used for more than a day (it seems). And unfortunately it is this hibernation mode that causes the Walkman to loose its place when used for audiobooks. I wanted to love my Walkman, but it is unsuitable as an audiobook player.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Reasonable, 13 Jun. 2011
This hat is of decent construction and it has a Velcro adjustment strap on the back. Hat arrived folded (this is how most caps are stored) and had a slight fold crease across the center because of this, but that has disappeared on mine after it's first use when I wore this in the rain. I have mine in black and after the rain didn't have any colour run onto my head.

Oxford Guide to Plain English
Oxford Guide to Plain English
by Martin Cutts

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain English Exsplained In Plain English, 10 Jan. 2010
Plain english is a style of writing that makes the content of a document clear to the user by removing bad grammar and unnecessary text. Since I read this book my use of grammar and the readability of my writing has improved greatly.
I recommend this book to everybody who writes in English, including school kids and especially english teachers.

Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000
Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000

5.0 out of 5 stars Light Weight and Very Agile, 2 July 2009
I am not interested in giving a full review, but I will say that the Mobile Mouse 6000 is very light weight. Normally wireless mice tend to be a little heavier than wired mice because of the radio receiver and battery, but this (with battery) weighs just 91 grams on my kitchen scales (digital).

Driver install was painless, just plug the USB receiver in and you are away after a quick automatic driver install. When I tried it with windows 7 (Release Candidate 7100) that didn't even happen, it just worked!

This is a portable wireless mouse so it doesn't go to sleep. There is an off switch on the bottom of the mouse. For laptop users on the go this is good, but for desktop users this could be irritating.

And despite all the promotional pictures having a blue ring around the mouse, the real mouse doesn't have this. For me this is a plus, but anybody expecting a neon blue effect while using it, is going to be disappointed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2010 4:15 PM GMT

Half-Real: Video Games Between Real Rules and Fictional Worlds
Half-Real: Video Games Between Real Rules and Fictional Worlds
by Jesper Juul

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 16 April 2009
I have read a few books on Ludology (the study of recreational games) and Half-Real is by far the best that I have read. It serves as an exceptional introduction to the subject matter and serves as good reference material.

Acer Aspire One A110-Ab Netbook, Linpus Linux Lite version, 512MB DDR2 RAM, 8GB NAND Flash (Sapphire Blue)

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Essembaly Required, 15 Sept. 2008
The hardware is awesome, but I believe Limpus (the OS based on Fedora 8) is broken out of the box. Asus have done some modifications to a few dependencies which mean that you can not update the software (with the exseption of upgradeing to FireFox3) or the OS. However after a few days of playing around with it I managed to get Ubuntu working just fine and now I have an awesome Ubuntu powered Netbook that I can use for whatever I want, wherever I want and it all fits into my normal (not made for laptop) backpack with room to spare.

The device weighs just 975g, it is very almost silent, 3D performance is surprisingly good, the Atom processor supports Hyper Threading so any errant applications can be sorted without having to restart the machine, wifi is good and with the solid state drive you can install software on it while bungie jumping (or skydiving) because there are no moving parts. The keyboard is comfortable with a traditional arrow laybout and the all important double high enter key.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2008 9:42 PM GMT

Visual Basic 6 Complete
Visual Basic 6 Complete
by Steve Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 25 Nov. 2003
I was recommended this book for a university course on VB and I was expecting a good tutorial book with good useful step by step instructions on how to do things. The book is nothing like that. The tutorial sections are no better than any other book on VB, but where this book lacks in teaching it more than makes up for in it's reference section.
The book is basically four books in one with a reference section at the back, for referencing the other four books. The four books are, Introduction To Visual Basic, Practical Visual Basic, Introduction To Visual Basic Scripting & The Internet and Introduction To Visual Basic For Applications. So with the detailed 228 page reference section indexing the other 737 pages (the four books) you have a comprehensive VB dictionary at your disposal. The reference section provides either direct access to the necessary information or to a section in one of the books, talking about what you want to know.
This book isn't a one stop VB book by all means and no single VB book is, but if you find yourself stuck because you can't remember how to format a date properly or you have forgotten how to do an error handler then this book is a great tool to have.

Tamrac 5692 Digital Bag 2 - Black
Tamrac 5692 Digital Bag 2 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A good case, 25 Nov. 2003
I bought this case for my Fuji A303 and although it gave my camera a loose fit, after putting a few batteries and stuff in the front it fit's my camera alright. Not snug, but enough for it to not knock about.
The case has steal clips on the side and the general build quality is very good, the padding is good, but a little thinner on the top than I would have liked. Although I can't think of a reason to have big padding on the top anyway. The battery compartment has a plastic lining to prevent anything other than the case getting damaged from a leaky battery and once a camera is inside the case, there is no chance of it falling out. As there is a clip and velcro on the front and lid with good coverage by the lid.
This is a good case that is easily suited to carrying hear cameras, but if you have a very small camera then you might want to consider an alternative case.

Microsoft Blue Optical Mouse
Microsoft Blue Optical Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like it's gliding on a cushion of air, 11 July 2003
I decided to buy this mouse after having a good few microsoft mice, but my Intellimouse Explorer went a bit wacky after being dropped one two many times.
First thing I noticed was that the sound of it's click is a deeper sound than usual. This does not effect usage and actually makes other mice sound load in comparison.
As others have said the scroll wheel is very easy to scroll, but it's not enough for it to scroll by it's self, or for it to scroll by it's self if knocked. It's quite relaxing to use as it requires no pressure to scroll.
The third mouse button click isn't like on other mice where it feels kind of rubbery. It is more like a normal mouse click making the wheel feel more firm and solid than usual. The wheel has plenty of grip, coupled with it's soft scrolling makes it a very gentle wheel to use.
The sides of the mouse are concave making it more ergonomic than your average mouse, but also makes it suitable for both right and left handed people.
The mouse is light weight and the movement is very nice, as if it's got a cushion of air underneath it. This is because the pads underneath are polished. Out the box it does have a very suttle polished surface friction, but that will fade with usage.
I'm not sure about endurance, because I'm not about to start whacking it against a wall just to test, but it's very sturdy with no creaking plastic.
Accuracy is the best I have ever seen in a mouse. I can actually go into paint colour one pixel (without zooming in), change colour and then click on the exact same pixel (without zooming in) to change it's colour.
Bad points, to be honest it's a mouse and unless there was a design flaw that gave you cramp or something then it has no negatives. And this mouse certainly doesn't.
Some have mentioned that the light on the back is very bright, but it is no brighter than the light on the MS Explorer or any other optical mouse I have seen or used.
All in all this mouse might not be the cheapest mouse money can buy, but it's worth every penny and continues Microsoft's traditions of making extremely high quality accessories that actually make you fell happy that you bought them.

Page: 1 | 2