Profile for sandig > Reviews

sandig

Arched Red Jasper Cufflinks + Black Pouch
Arched Red Jasper Cufflinks + Black Pouch

5.0 out of 5 stars Arched Red Jasper Cufflinks, 12 Dec 2013
Lovely colour and great design, they look exactly as pictured. Nice little bag to keep them in. Well made and nice weight.

Sweet: Over 100 Fabulocious Recipes for Irresistible Desserts and Drinks, Cakes and Bakes
by Levi Roots

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet - Levi Roots, 14 Aug 2012
This book is an absolute delight from start to finish. Not only is it full of fabulous cakes, bakes and puddings, it is also jam packed with gorgeous artwork/illustrations and photography. Don't sit down to read this unless you have something to nibble on as it will make you hungry. The recipes are brilliant, no weird ingredients despite the Caribbean flavour throughout. They are laid out well and the instructions are clear and easy to understand. We've made the lime bars and they were a resounding success in the office, so they will be made again. The hard part now is what to make next.

Tart it Up!: Sweet and Savoury Tarts and Pies
Tart it Up!: Sweet and Savoury Tarts and Pies
by Eric Lanlard

4.0 out of 5 stars I ate all the pies, 30 Jun 2012
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book and so far have made 2 of the tarts, but I will definitely be making more. The book helpfully starts with clear instructions on how to make each kind of pastry. Followed by savoury tarts, then sweet ones. Both the savoury and sweet sections have some suggestions for sides/accompaniments.

We tried the braised little gem tart that Eric helpfully suggests goes well with roast chicken, it was really simple to make, thanks to the very clear step by step instructions on how to make the pastry and how to assemble/prepare the tart for baking. The result was stunning and made a pleasant change from the usual roast dinner, perfect for a warm summer evening. The second tart we tried was the quiche Lorraine. The result was perfect, no soggy bottoms on this tart and I loved the lightness of the dish. We even ate some cold for breakfast.

Both sections seem to have a pie or tart for any season and all occasions, from the simple throw it together in 10 minutes for a quick supper to the more involved West Indies chocolate which is visually stunning and would make a wonderful dinner party dessert.

Over all this book is brilliant, the photographs are beautiful, it has recipes for all abilities, it is laid out well and it is written in a simple unfussy way. My only gripe is that the recipes are often for fairly large numbers, some of the desserts serve 10! I am happy to scale down recipes for our smaller family, but know that friends who do not cook/bake a lot would find it daunting.

Pies: Savoury & Sweet (The Australian Women's Weekly Essentials)
Pies: Savoury & Sweet (The Australian Women's Weekly Essentials)
by The Australian Women's Weekly

4.0 out of 5 stars Pies: Savoury & Sweet - The Australian Women's Weekly, 1 Dec 2011
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book, when you hear the words Women's Weekly you immediately think of your Gran, well I do. I expected the recipes to be solid, traditional comfort food. However, this book is packed full of modern and innovative recipes. So far I have made the chunky pork and fennel pie, it was really delicious and diced pork is not something I would think to use in a pie. I also made the spiced green pea and potato pasties, these were excellent and tasted very good cold for the following days lunch.

All the recipes are clearly laid out, easy to follow instructions and clear pictures of the finished dish. The ingredients are all everyday things you'd have no trouble finding. I'm now really looking forward to warmer weather so I can try some of the lighter dishes such as the chorizo and potato galette with green olives or the caramelised onion, fig and prosciutto tarts.

The only reason this has not got 5 stars is I did have to up the garlic and seasoning, but that is nit picking and maybe down to my households love of very bold flavours. I'm definitely hoping Santa might get me one or two of the other titles in this series for Christmas.