Profile for koneko chan > Reviews

The Fast Show : Ultimate Collection (7 Disc BBC Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Fast Show
Price: 14.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best sketch shows ever, 17 April 2013
Still funny and many of the sketches still fresh as a daisy even after 19 years. A great cast who all contributed to the writing and some memorable characters - Ken and Kenneth, the Suit You tailors, are two of my all time favourite comedy characters.

Hunting Venus (A Soundtrack To The 80s)
Hunting Venus (A Soundtrack To The 80s)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia fest, 17 April 2013
Apart from the weird inclusion of a Jools Holland number and Neil Morrissey's version of Stand By Your Man (which features in Hunting Venus), these tracks are a great example of early 80's music. Happy Days. The Venus Hunters' fictional one hit wonder, Starburst, doesn't look out of place on this compilation neither.
Hunting Venus is a great comedy/drama too, shame it's never been released on DVD.

Doctor Who - New Beginnings (The Keeper of Traken/Logopolis/Castrovalva) [DVD] [1963]
Dvd ~ Tom Baker
Price: 9.75

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master returns - Hooray!, 18 July 2007
I've always liked the Master, from Delgado to Simm, he's always been my favourite Who character, so interesting and complex. Consequently, I remember and loved these stories from when they were first broadcast and couldn't wait to get my hands on this box set.
Spoilers ahead!
The Keeper of Traken is one of the best Who stories. Great story, script, sets, costumes and wonderful acting, especially from Who debutantes Anthony Ainley and Sarah Sutton. Geoffrey Beevers is good as the Master, so bitter and twisted. It has one of the best endings ever to a Who story. I remember jumping up and down in my seat when I first saw it.
Logopolis I love, despite the arrival of Tegan (such a pointless character), I enjoyed the whole concept of the Logopolitan's world, their secret and The Master's casual acceptance of all the death and mayhem he's caused (the greatest mass murderer in history?). I must admit I fell in love with this version of the Master, he did evil things for fun. For the record, unlike other fans, I LIKED the black velvet and eyeliner.
Castrovalva has Davison making a fine debut as the Doctor, at the time I was still dazzled by Baker to appreciate his portrayal but history has shown his Doctor to be one of the best. This story starts off a little slow (too much Tegan!) but develops into something interesting, with good performances particularly from Ainley and guest actor Derek Waring. That Neil Toynay wasn't bad either.
An essential DVD set for all Who fans. The commentaries are good, especially on KoT and the production notes are interesting. I just wish they would release all The Master stories in a box set, now that would be great.

Kikujiro [DVD]
Kikujiro [DVD]
Dvd ~ Takeshi Kitano
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 9.33

5.0 out of 5 stars This may change your life..., 30 Oct 2006
This review is from: Kikujiro [DVD] (DVD)
This is essentially a road movie where a rubbish, unpleasant low-ranking Yakuza is thrown together with a morose, lonely boy in search of the latter's mother. Unlike most road movies, it could be anywhere, the location is unimportant. The characters take centre stage here.
It's a film of two halves the first part the pursuit of Mother, the second the pursuit of friendship and happiness. The second half is amazing. I'm not going to give the plot away, I hate reviews that do that. But I will say it has one of the best endings ever seen on film. Simple and elegant, it hits you - POW!
Kitano creates a modern day fairy tale with humour, pain and bite without a syrupy, squirm factor thrown in. I'm dreading Hollywood doing a remake of this, it would be vile.