Profile for Matt > Reviews

Content by Matt

Matt (Lewes, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
iPhone 4/4S screen protector guard 6 in 1 pack
iPhone 4/4S screen protector guard 6 in 1 pack
Offered by ClickJunkie

2.0 out of 5 stars Stay clear (no pun intended), 8 Aug. 2010
I have this screen protector technology for my Blackberry(s) and my iPod; they work really well. But I'm afraid this just doesn't work with the Apple iPhone 4. The product wasn't cut in the manufacturing process correctly (so the front camera, earphone gap or button are not correctly aligned). Also despite cleaning thoroughly before application there were also unsightly bubbles. After having three attempts i'm afraid the rest in the pack have gone directly into the bin. Good job I spent under a fiver so not the end of the world!

Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Squeezebox Boom - but Sonos better system, 20 Jan. 2010
I was torn between buying the Squeezebox Boom or this brand new Squeezebox Radio. The Boom has more power and stereo speakers but looks dated now and the interface is much older with no colour screen - so I ended up going for this new Radio unit and hoping that the sound was going to be OK to fill my bedroom. I shouldn't have worried.

I'm delighted with my Squeezebox Radio. It is extremely well built, feels like it will outlive your grandchildren, looks great, lovely ergonomics, bright colour screen and GREAT sound that fills the room for such a small device. It also fully integrates with all other Squeezebox devices; this was important for me as I already own (the outstanding highly recommended) Squeezebox Duet system with 3x receivers throughout my house and iPeng remote control on my iPhone. All work great with the new Squeezebox Radio.

My main gripe (and Logitech can fix this with further firmware upgrades) is the software. Although it is OK, it does not match the high quality of the hardware. Also when switching between my home network music stored on my PC and Squeezenetwork the device can fail and needs turning off and on to make work properly again which is annoying. In fairness to the Radio I have the same user interface / reliability gripe with other Squeezebox devices and it hasn't stopped me loving them - but Logitech PLEASE make note and improve your software - more "iPhone" feel, and less "1980s Ceefax" interface please!

My other small complaint is the lack of mobility as a result of no battery (you can only operate it via the mains). A re-chargeable battery pack will becoming available in Feb 2010 according to the Logitech UK website but I would have expected this to be a) standard rather than extra and b) available from launch.

Despite these failings I would still highly recommend the Squeezebox Radio for both newcomers to Internet radio and experienced users with a full home network of other players, music libraries and internet music services. Overall the Squeezebox radio is a wonderfully built, high specification, great sounding Internet Radio, expecially for this price point.

UPDATE October 2011

With all the reliability issues of the Logitech system (i had 4 zones inc the radio) and the patchy unreliable Spotify integration I took the plunge and went for a full replacement to a Sonos system. Although much more expensive Sonos is hugely better and much much more reliable (in fact 100%). If you're into your music and have the £££ go for Sonos.

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver
TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 2nd best option to TomTom's "Live" HD Traffic systems, 4 Jan. 2010
As a high mileage road user going to different destinations on a weekly basis I invested in a TomTom GO 740 "LIVE" satnav a year ago which has real-time traffic updates using the built-in TomTom cellular data system (using the Vodafone network I understand) and have been using it without problem for a year - it is quite simply brilliant and well worth the monthly subscription - I've saved many hours by avoiding the jams. The TomTom "LIVE" system comes with "HD Traffic" which gives both motorways and A-road live traffic updates which is excellent.

Prior to getting this new "LIVE" system from TomTom I previously had the TomTom GO 720T - which was fine except for the RDS-TMC traffic receiver which rarely worked properly and struggled to get a 'lock' on the Classic FM sub band that carries the traffic data. So, I was a little reluctant to get this newly designed TomTom RDS-TMC for my wife's new TomTom One XL, but after reading the postive reviews here I figured I'd give it a try. Here's my experience:

1. It worked, first time, instantly (massive improvement on previous TomTom RDS-TMC systems!)
2. The day I tried it was a bad traffic day and it found all the traffic hotspots instantly on the motorways with details of the traffic, delay impact, tailback length etc (again massive improvement on previous RDS-TMC experiences a few years ago with the old 720T satnav)
3. It was easy to "install" to the TomTom GO One XL with no additional software downloads or configuration needed - as soon as I plugged in the new receiver the TomTom recognised the input and did the rest automatically - from a user experience perspective very impressive!
4. The receiver is quite a hassle to keep stuck to the windscreen with a bit of wetting the suckers required but once up it seemed to stay up
5. This Amazon product is the official TomTom product selling for A LOT more if you buy direct from TomTom - buy it from Amazon not direct from TomTom and save youself over £20!!!

Conclusion: if you are a heavy road user and can afford the higher up front cost and monthly / annual subscription costs go for a TomTom "LIVE" system e.g. 550/750/950 with in-built cellular system to deliver TomTom's exceptional HD Traffic service. However, if you are an occasional road user or budget is tight then this is an excellent 2nd best option which completes the non-LIVE TomTom satnav systems such as TomTom GO One XL to deliver reliable and accurate traffic updates to your TomTom. Well worth the investment.

Logitech Squeezebox Duet - WiFi Internet Radio receiver with wireless MP3 music streaming

5.0 out of 5 stars Flexible, great sound quality, sleek and easy to use, 4 Jan. 2009
I love my new Logitech Squeezebox Duet system. It took a little time to set up but after I had got my software firewall issues fixed it worked like a dream. In fact i'm so pleased with it I purchased an additional receiver unit for another room. I also use my iPhone with software from the Apple App Store to act as a handy second control unit (though for those of you with an iPhone already and tempted to just get a reciever ... don't do it - the Squeezebox control unit that comes with the Duet systems is well worth it!).

My set up is as follows:

- 1x Logitech Sqeezebox control unit (comes with the Duet system)
- 2x Logitech Squeezebox receivers (1x comes with the Duet system - I purchased the other seperately)
- Receiver ONE is in my sitting room and is connected to a Logitech Z-2300 THX Certified speaker system
- Receiver TWO is in my conservatory and connected via Powerline Ethernet (i.e. over my home electricity system from the router) as Wifi didn't work - works great though!
- Music is stored on the hard-drive of my home computer in WMA format (typically 192kbps) and MP3 format (typically 320kbps) - approx 400 albums all work great
- Belkin MIMO Wireless G+ ADSL Router
- Standard BT ADSL 512k internet connection
- McAfee Firewall / Security Center
- Microsoft Vista

The bottom line: the benefits I value most are a) the outstanding sound quality and b) the ease of use of the Logitech Squeezebox Duet system once you have it up and running. Squeezebox doesn't play DRM protected music though so keep this in mind before purchasing. In conclusion, if you are into your music and have a large collection this is great value for money. Buy it!

UPDATE AUGUST 2010
I have now changed my home set-up and have moved to an iMac. The set-up was seamless and Logitech Squeezebox on the Mac works great. The only problem I had (and it was a big one entirely of my own making) was that most of my music files were in WMA which doesn't work well on the Mac. I had to change all the files to MP3 320kbps Variable Bit Rate. Now all music is perfect.

Still highly recommended.

Motorola H3 - Razor Bluetooth Headset Black
Motorola H3 - Razor Bluetooth Headset Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great talktime, excellent call quality, 8 Jan. 2007
Works great with by my Nokia phone and my wife's LG phone. What I like most about it include:

1. Very light weight

2. Great call quality

3. 200 hrs standby with 6 hours talk time (so basically only need to charge it once a week).

What more can you ask for under thirty quid?!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2008 1:25 AM GMT

Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM Digital Lens For Nikon Mount
Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM Digital Lens For Nikon Mount
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Great indoor low light portrait lens for Digital SLRs, 8 Jan. 2007
I have a Canon 400D (and before that a Canon 300D) and use this lens as my primary low light indoor portrait lens for snaps of the family / events etc. The 30mm x 1.6 = 48mm (due to small sensor on digital SLR cameras) makes this an ideal standard lens. The optics are amazing with sharpness, colour tone and auto-focus speed are all highly impressive. Highly recommended.

Philips SLA5500 Wireless Music receiver
Philips SLA5500 Wireless Music receiver

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent when working and in-range, 8 Jan. 2007
Great concept. I have 280+ CD's ripped to my hard-drive and wanted to make them available to my Hi-Fi in my conservatory so bought this devise. It didn't work because the WiFi range wasn't good enough (despite upgrading my WiFi base station to Belkin G+ MIMO high strength technology). Ended up transfering the unit to my lounge and it works like a dream. I particularly like the Internet radio stations function (BlueBeat especially) - a feature I didn't think I'd use). Word of caution - don't bother with the shipped Philips computer software; you're better off using Microsoft Media Player 10 (not v. 11 it doesn't work with the devise) with Microsoft Media Connect - both free downloads from Microsoft.

Sony RDRHXD860S 160GB HDD HDMI DVD Recorder
Sony RDRHXD860S 160GB HDD HDMI DVD Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought about Sky+ but went for this, 8 Jan. 2007
I have used this unit for a month now. I had considered getting Sky+ until I did the maths (i.e. the monthly fees) and then looked on-line to see the amount of technical problems there are! So, I went for the Sony unit and I'm glad I did. The reasons I like the Sony unit are as follows:

1. It works brilliantly with my existing Sky box (bog standard Pace unit) so that I can even set my Sky box to "Autoview" on programmes whilst I'm out then simply press "Timer Synch" on my Sony box and that's it! A mini electrical current informs the Sony unit through the SCART cables that the Sky box is on and it automatically records the programmes! Brilliant!

2. The inbuilt Freeview Tuner - I can be watching Sky but record something off Freeview at the same time

3. Nearly silent operation - I worried about the noise of the hard-drive fan before buying the unit - no problem

4. The simple EPG interface for recording programmes off Freeview

5. The Sony remote also operates my Panasonic TV (similar functionality to Sky remotes) so you don't get clutered with remote contols!

6. The 160GB drive - over Christmas I soon recoreded 105 GB of programmes so glad I didn't go for the 80GB unit

7. Picture quality - I have not needed to up the picture quality beyond the standard setting

8. Thin size of the unit - easily fits into my existing TV cabinet (and saves space because I got rid of my VHS video recorder and DVD player.

Well done Sony! Highly recommended.

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
by Steven D. Levitt

4.0 out of 5 stars Not going to change your life, but great dinner table banter, 23 Oct. 2005
I read this book in one sitting (couldn't put it down) and the insights have since supplied me with countless evenings of fun challenging friends and family on topics include "Why do drug dealers live at home?", "When dating, what do men and women REALLY look for in a partner?", "How safe is flying in comparison with other forms of transport?", "What explains the recent dramatic crime drop in the USA?", "What qualities make the best parents?" and "Does your name you are born with dictate your success and happiness in later life?".
Some of the answers are very surprising/shocking, and then after you think about it a bit you're left thinking "well actually that makes complete sense!". What makes this book appealing is the hard data behind the research and what makes this book refreshing are the off-the-wall questions it asks, not just the answers it provides.
Downsides are few but include US focus rather than UK (though there are many parallels), farcical brown-nosing between the co-authors which makes you feel a little nauseous at times and lack of connection between all the questions into one 'power' conclusion at the end (but then perhaps that is part of this book's charm too).
Well worth reading. It won't change your life, but it will certainly challenge you to question again and most importantly help you shine at dinner parties with random interesting questions that your friends just HAVE to know the answer to! Enjoy.

Nokia HDW-2 Bluetooth Headset
Nokia HDW-2 Bluetooth Headset

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy: the ear clip breaks and parts are unavailable, 16 Jan. 2004
Call quality is good, it is light on the ear and battery life is acceptable. Only problem (and it is a big one!) the ear clips keep breaking. I purchased two of these for my wife and I and both have broken.
Replacement ear clip parts are also impossible to find in the UK. I have been bounced around SEVEN different Nokia numbers this morning and no one can/wants to help. Nokia's customer service is non terrible.
You'd be well advised to buy a sturdier product and avoid this inevitable expense.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2008 9:58 PM GMT