Profile for Matt > Reviews

Content by Matt

Matt (Lewes, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
simplehuman - Code M, Custom Fit Bin Liners, 20 Pack - 45 Litre
simplehuman - Code M, Custom Fit Bin Liners, 20 Pack - 45 Litre
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the BIN, 1 Feb 2014
I have a Simplehuman bin. These are Simplehuman bags. They fit the bin.

I get these delivered from Amazon because it is easier than travelling the 1h 30m to my nearest John Lewis.

That's about it really.

Bose  Soft Cover for SoundLink  Mini - Blue
Bose Soft Cover for SoundLink Mini - Blue
Price: 20.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A hassle to get on - but great once on, 1 Feb 2014
Essential piece of kit to protect your not insignificant investment in the amazing BOSE Soundlink speaker which I adore.

If like me you use this on-the-move and it is hauled around the world on planes, trains and automobiles then this is a must.

But surely Mr BOSE this should be given away free with the device?! Hence 4 stars ...

GARAGE DOOR REMOTE CONTROL KIT
GARAGE DOOR REMOTE CONTROL KIT
Offered by THE GARAGE DOOR GURU
Price: 35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Been working for a year without fault + great customer service, 1 Feb 2014
I personally retrofitted this (I am a DIY disaster and not a trained electrician). The customer service support was fantastic and I got my garage door working again with great new (much smaller and better) remote controls for my wife and I. I think this has probably saved me over 500 in a new system.

LED Lenser P7 Professional Torch (Black) - Test It Pack
LED Lenser P7 Professional Torch (Black) - Test It Pack
Offered by Snap-on
Price: 31.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential & highly recommended, 1 Feb 2014
I live in the country with no street lights in my village - great for zero light pollution and star gazing but not so good when walking the dog or popping to the pub in the evening during the long winter months!

I've had this torch for over a year.

This is expensive but my goodness do you get what you pay for. The light quality is simply staggering for the size of the unit. Pure super-bright daylight brightness and very nice adjustment for wide / focused beam. Beautifully made too.

So why not 5 stars? I'm not convinced by the re-charge fitting (it's never gone wrong but it just doesn't fit early 100% of the time) and the additional features such as the SOS setting, intruder rapid flasher etc is difficult to configure and control.

That said - I wouldn't be without my LED lenser. I like this torch so much I bought two other LED lensers for my wife and one to keep in my car all the time.

Highly recommended.

Philips Imageo LED Rechargeable Candle Lights, White
Philips Imageo LED Rechargeable Candle Lights, White
Price: 21.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them so much we now have 3x sets, 1 Feb 2014
These are marvellous little units. I now have nine of them which are used on a regular basis. To those who don't know they are LED they literally look like the 'real-thing' but of course they are efficient and super-safe non flame candles.

Uses include:

- Luxurious spa-time bath experience
- Dinner parties to add atmosphere
- Going up the stairs for glamorous effect!
- Evening garden parties on warm summer evenings
- Children's nightlight
- Back-up lighting in event of power cuts
- Emergency landing lights for light aircraft (just kidding!)

Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2014 2:38 AM GMT

Omron R2 Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor
Omron R2 Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor
Price: 27.84

2.0 out of 5 stars Dubious quality of blood pressure readings, 1 Feb 2014
I have high blood pressure and I need to keep a regular eye on it. I got this unit because I wanted to take it to work and not take my shirt off in the office!

Initially I was pleased with it.

However, then I checked the readings with my other Omron units (and later with the more advanced Withings blood pressure reader). I came to realise that this unit does not always give a reliable and correct reading (for me anyway).

Proceed with caution if you genuinely have high blood pressure and this is going to be your main blood pressure reader.

BT Duet 210 Corded Telephone - White
BT Duet 210 Corded Telephone - White
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Cheerful (do people still say that?), 1 Feb 2014
Purchased this as a back-up phone in a bedroom in case of power cuts (which seem to be happening almost daily nowadays!) which of course render the more advanced cordless handset units useless.

Just the job.

Highly recommended as back-up cheap and reliable phone that is non intrusive and has all the basic features you need for a decent price.

Steepletone Retro BT Corded Telephone with Rotary Dial - Ivory - STP1960
Steepletone Retro BT Corded Telephone with Rotary Dial - Ivory - STP1960
Offered by Delightful-UK
Price: 32.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A visual (and audible!) reminder of the slower paced 70's, 1 Feb 2014
Well, this certainly brings back memories of a slower paced happy time growing up when phone calls would be made in the evening to keep an eye on the pennies; when talking on the phone to relatives out of town was a once a week thing; and the line was shared with your neighbours!

This is the same classic early 1970's BT (then post office of course) design of phone my wife's parents had in the hallway and my parents had in their bedroom (we had a blue one on the wall in the hall!). My goodness it brings back memories. I love the proper old ringing from the bells inside - the sound is so reminiscent of growing up!

Practically, in comparison to modern telephones this is close to useless. No built-in answer phone; no built-in address book; no mobility … I could go on …

… but of course that's not why you buy these things! They're a reminder of a simpler (slower paced) time without the constant intrusion of modern communications and 24/7 multi-media.

Right, i'm off to make a cup off tea: loose leaf and a with a tea strainer of course - non of those new fangled tea bags.

Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor (Apple and Android compliant)
Withings Wireless Blood Pressure Monitor (Apple and Android compliant)
Offered by Blue Diamond's
Price: 105.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, but also hugely practical and easy to use, 1 Feb 2014
I've had the excellent WiFi Withings weight / body fat / air quality scales for sometime now and have been very pleased with them. They are sleek and elegant but are also very practical if you - like me - have bought into the 'big data' revolution and want immediate submission of your data into the 'cloud' for ongoing analysis.

I'd been holding back from buying the older wired blood pressure monitor from Withings as it shipped with the old iPhone adapter and I don't like using the fiddly adapter for the iPhone 5/5s for retro-fit. I also hoped they'd bring out a wireless version that is far more future proof and of course will work with non-apple products. So along come this brand new wireless version in Jan 2014 so I just had to try it!

As with all Withings products it is beautifully designed and put together. The gorgous packaging and fine materials of the device itself gives you a premium feel similar to that of opening an Apple product for the first time. In the box is the Withings wireless blood pressure reader, a back-up wired connector (very useful just in case the wireless fails or you don't want to use Bluetooth), a quick start manual and a more detailed manual. The 4x AAA batteries are pre-installed so the product is ready-to-go out of the box.

Set-up is a joy via Bluetooth and took literally just a couple of minutes with intuative step-by-step instructions on-screen through the Withings app on my iPhone 5. The Withings unit is seamlessly controlled via the app on the phone during use with no need to mess with any setting on the actual device after initially switching on. It turns off automatically after use.

One of the nice surprising new features is the "Auto" feature that you can set to automatically conduct 3x measurements in succession (with obviously a short gap in between for rest) with the average taken for even more accurate measurements just as my doctor asked me to do when using a manual traditional blood pressure monitor.

Other really nice features include:

- automatic time of day capture with each blood pressure reading that you can later analyse between am and pm readings and understand how your blood pressure changes throughout the day automatically via the dashboard in the app
- auto capture of your resting pulse
- real-time readings being sent to the app on the phone so you can see what's going on whilst the devise is working
- battery charge indicator through the app

For those geeks / power-users out there who want more, the best and most useful feature is of course the seamless ability to capture all the readings from the device which are then sent 'to the cloud' and shared with the other growing number of apps in the wellbeing/health eco-system that you give permission.

For me I use:

- Combination of Withings BP monitor & Scales for my weight, fat percentage, pulse-rate and blood pressure readings
- Jawbone UP for my activity tracking 24/7 and sleep tracking
- Sleepio for personalised CBT sleep training (which seamlessly integrates to Jambone UP)
- MyFitnessPal for food and drink tracking
- Run Keeper for fitness tracking
- The ability to easily send data through to your doctor and/or 3rd party as required via email
- and all the data from all the above automated & manual inputs analysed and reported by TicTrak

And what does all this data tell me? Well, that I am over-weight with high blood pressure who eats (and drinks) too much and spends an awful lot of time sitting around and not enough time exercising.

Sadly non of this wonderful technology replaces personal motivation, some personal discipline and lifestyle change. But SURELY there must be an app for that I hear you cry!?

In summary, the Withings wireless blood pressure monitor is highly recommended and a joy to use and own.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2014 9:06 PM GMT

Sonos PLAY:3 Black - The Wireless Hi-Fi
Sonos PLAY:3 Black - The Wireless Hi-Fi
Price: 249.00

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 Sonos Units and Counting ..., 25 Dec 2013
I am a massive advocate of Sonos.

Amazing sound, beautiful design and simple to use and expand.

After an initial purchase of a single Play 5 I now have:

1x Bridge (connected via Powerline Ethernet to router)
2x Play 5s
4x Play 3s (in two stereo pairs)
1x Sub
1x iPhone cradle
Controlled by Sonos app on my iPhone(s) and iPad(s)

Multi year usage. Awesome reliability. Simple set up and expansion. Easy integration to 2TB external home media server with all my music on-tap and seamless integration with Spotify Premium.

Only thing that could improve Sonos to perfection is native app support (ie so you can control Sonos through Spotify app for example).

For multi-room multi unit arrangements such as mine the Sonos system gets expensive. But if you're into your multi-room music throughout the house and use Spotify regularly it is worth every penny.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3