Profile for JEMc > Reviews

Content by JEMc

JEMc (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Anself Strap Type Crampons Ski Hiking Belt High Altitude Hiking Slip-resistant 10 Crampon
Offered by Anself-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 22 April 2015
Took these up Sca Fell in February, in full snow and ice. Great value and added that little bit extra stability. I wouldn't trust them for anything too technical, but I was impressed with the sturdiness of the crampon spikes and the overall quality of the product. The little boot bag they come packaged in is a nice touch, too.

Sony NWZE384 8GB Walkman Video MP3 Player - Blue
Sony NWZE384 8GB Walkman Video MP3 Player - Blue
Offered by You Want GPS

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for sound quality, rubbish for anything else., 22 April 2015
I've owned Sony Walkmans since the days of CDs and Minidiscs, and opted for this mp3 player as my old S638's battery is now completely dead.

It's not an upgrade. The old S series is robust, made of brushed metal and with pleasingly solid buttons, as well as a sliding hold button and volume rocker on the side. The new player, the E series, was always going to be different; however, it feels like cheap plastic akin to a £20 unbranded mp3 player my brother owns. The headphones Sony supply feel and sound like they're from the pound shop. The controls are most annoying for me: the S series controls were intuitive, and there were enough buttons to clearly separate main functions. On the E series, though, there's no sliding hold button and no volume rocker; these functions have been assigned to the centre circle button and two subsidiary buttons. It just makes the product seem hashed together, rather than the ergonomic design I've come to expect from Sony.

The redeeming feature of this player is its sound quality. Stick a decent pair of headphones in and you finally find that Sony quality. Given the previous comparison to a £20 mp3 player, I did a sound test using my preferred headphones. The £20 player sounded ok, but lacked bass. The Sony's superior quality shone through - it has a dynamic equaliser including presets and custom settings, and the sound is rich, with plenty of bass where needed.

Overall, it's a shame Sony have abandoned the "luxury" feel which characterised the Walkman of old (even my Minidisc player was made of brushed metal), and if I was to find another brand of mp3 player which could match Sony's sound quality, I'm sure it would be cheaper and I would gladly 'defect'. For now though, I'm sticking to Sony.

Mobile Junction ® SView Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 i9505 S IV Premium Slim Flip Smart S-View Screen Case Battery Cover with Auto Sleep Wake Function Incl. Free Screen Protector & Stylus Pen (White)
Offered by Exclusive Mobiles Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, but..., 24 Jun. 2014
For the price, this is a good bundle.

Cons: The cover itself is not great quality; I've had it for about a week and the edges are fraying and it's starting to look tatty.

Pros: The S view screen is a nice touch and works just like the premium official Samsung product.
The screen protector is easy to apply and thus far seems to be of good quality.

I'm not using the supplied stylus so I can't comment on that.

Overall: I'll be investing in a more expensive case because the frayed edges are aesthetically displeasing and indicative of poor quality, but I like the fact that this kind of value bundle is available.

Invicta Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Black PU Strap 10917
Offered by Premier Watches UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality item, bought at a fantastic price, 17 July 2013
Bought this as a present on Amazon Lightning deals and so felt very pleased at having saved a hefty amount on a quality item. When it arrived I was even more pleased - this particular model looks even more classy "in the flesh" as it were (or should that be on the flesh?!).

The recipient of this watch (my dad) was also very impressed with the quality of the watch, particularly because there is a small magnifying area over the date, making the small digits easier to read. It looks and feels well-made.

I had had reservations about the PU strap, but when the watch arrived my fears were assuaged - this, too, is of a high quality - nice and chunky, a robust feel to it. I suppose also that if you really didn't like it, you could always change the strap; however, as my dad pointed out, the strap material suits this watch's purpose as a sportswear item.

Personally, I'm not sure I would pay the 399 RRP and am very glad I got a huge discount on this watch. It's not that I don't think the watch is worth much money, but if you are considering buying it, maybe wait to see if it becomes available at a deal price, just so you feel as glad as I do!

6 IN 1 PACK CLEAR LCD SCREEN PROTECTORS FOR CANON POWERSHOT SX230 HS - 3 LAYER DIGITAL CAMERA DISPLAY SAVER
Offered by Membrane Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 22 Mar. 2012
Great value for money - good quality item, a perfect fit, easy to apply and doesn't affect my view of the camera screen.

Why get a 6 in 1 pack? Well from experience with smartphones, mp3 players etc., over time the protector itself becomes scratched and worn (while the screen stay shiny and new) - this way all I'll need to do is remove the old protector and pop a new one on.

Snug Fit Waterproof Camera Case for PANASONIC LUMIX DMC- TZ30,SZ3 SZ5 FS50,CANON POWERSHOT Canon Ixus 1** 2** 3** 5** Series HS IS inc 125 HS, 132, 145, 150, 155, 265 HS, 255 HS, 240 HS,Nikon L27 L29 L30,Samsung Samsung ST150,Fuji FinePix ,SONY & other compact cameras - Red
Offered by BV-electronics

3.0 out of 5 stars Less 'snug fit', more 'squeeze', 22 Mar. 2012
Having bought a Canon SX230, I was looking for a hard case and had been encouraged by previous reviews for this item over other similar cases.

Let me be clear. The camera does not fit into the case, and it is only by virtue of extra material in the zip fastening that it can squeeze in. I have managed to zip the camera in, but there is visible strain on the stitching and I don't envisage the product lasting long - you get what you pay for, but I still feel a little like I will have thrown away my money on this. In essence, my camera is like Cinderella's sisters trying to squeeze their feet into the glass slipper of this case.

Given the zip material section of the case, also, I would rather see this case as 'splash proof' than waterproof.

Not a bad item for the price, and I am struggling to find a hard 'clam shell' case which is the right size at any cost, but certainly don't expect this to fit any Canon Powershot SX-series.

Blackadder - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Blackadder - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rowan Atkinson
Offered by claires_media_store

5.0 out of 5 stars A cunning plan..., 25 Sept. 2011
Black Adder is one of those programmes. You see the odd episode, and it's reasonably humorous, but you can't help but think it would be better if you could see more. The box set is perfect for anyone with half a mind for comedy - great value for the hours of entertainment afforded by watching four whole series of Black Adder, plus extras.

We actually bought it to help with my sister's preparation for A level English study, with Blackadder Goes Forth providing a particularly good insight into attitudes and conditions of WWI.

Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, Rowan Atkinson and co. at their best!

New Sublime Custom Dedicated Suction Mount Rotating in car Holder & Car Charger for Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in-car solution, 17 Feb. 2011
For my needs, this is perfect: every day I get into my car, slide my phone neatly into this holder using just one hand, and use the adjustable button so I can see the screen. (I use the phone as a sat nav).

Unlike other in-car solutions, the charging slot isn't covered, and the mount itself doesn't wobble around or (as I have, infuriatingly, previously experienced) fall off the windscreen as you drive.

High street companies will charge you a fortune for these items, citing the covering of the charging slot and quality of the product as reasons not to buy online. I can safely say that in this case they are wrong. Great value, perfectly functional, what more could you want.

Transcend 8GB JetFlash 300 USB Drive
Transcend 8GB JetFlash 300 USB Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 17 Feb. 2011
It's got 8GB capacity.
It's understated.
It's reliable and comes with software to make backups and file transfers easier.

Whilst you could fork out loads more money for a splash-proof dongle, or a cerise pink one, or one which stores the lid on the end so you don't lose it, just ask yourself: is it worth paying twice as much?

I had a little play around with the software which comes with this, and for every day file transfer you're as well to just 'Send' from the source folder; however, I can see how it could be very useful for those wanting to use it as a backup solution.

Kubik Edge II 8GB Touchscreen MP3 and Video Player
Kubik Edge II 8GB Touchscreen MP3 and Video Player

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., 29 Jan. 2011
It felt cheap and tacky.
The buttons wobbled in their slots.
It worked for one whole day.

Returned, refunded, relieved to have rid of it.

I'm going back to Sony - more money, but at least I won't be worried about it dying.

Page: 1 | 2