Profile for JEMc > Reviews

Content by JEMc

JEMc (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Topjoy 1080P Full HD 2.0 inch Screen Waterproof Sports Action Camera Cam DV 12MP DVR Helmet Camera Sports DV Camcorder 140 Degree Wide Lens
Offered by Topjoy Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Great budget action camera with same dimensions as GoPro, 19 Jun. 2016
Bought as a first foray into Sports Action cameras. I don't go scuba diving that frequently so didn't fancy shelling out £250+ for a *that* branded action cam which would only be used a couple of times a year.

Well, am I glad I went for this cheap option! It's easy to set up and use, has a lovely screen on the back so you can easily see what you're filming/taking a picture of, and most importantly has good picture quality and clear sound on videos. I've taken it for one dive so far and it's stayed completely dry. The battery life has also been absolutely fine for me. I take chargers wherever possible anyway but after about half an hour of filming/taking pictures underwater it's still got half the battery left.

It has exactly the same mounts and dimensions as a GoPro, so I bought an accessory bundle and I now have extra mounts including a bobber for underwater - if you're worried about not being able to get mounts for lesser known brands, it will be useful to know that popular accessory kits on here fit this item. Link to the accessory bundle:
Zookki Accessories Bundle Kit for GoPro Hero 4 3+ 3 2 1 Black Silver Accessory Kit for GoPro 4 3+ 3 2 1 and SJ4000 SJ5000 SJ6000, Sports Camera Accessory Set in Parachuting Swimming Rowing Surfing Skiing Climbing Running Bike Riding Camping Diving Outing Any Other Outdoors Sports

Off on a dive holiday soon with someone who has a more expensive Action camera. It'll be a true test to compare pictures but I don't see this one being that much inferior.

UPDATE: irritatingly, the red filter I bought does not clip on to this camera, so the pictures are pretty much just blue. However, you can see that the camera works at depth (20.6m on dive computer), that you can get good detail close up to wildlife, and that you can get some reasonable pictures. Other divers had red filters so their photos are much better anyway. I'll be interested to see if I can get a red filter for it and what difference that makes.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Garmin Charging Cradle for Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Running Watch
Garmin Charging Cradle for Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Running Watch
Offered by ParkAven

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement cable, 20 May 2016
Great replacement charge cradle/lead for mine which had stopped working - apparently a common fault on the Garmin 610 - a much cheaper fix than buying a new gps watch!

SMJ S6RFCC 13A 6-Socket Remote Control LED Surge Protected Extension Lead with 1.5m Cable/ Separate Remote Control - Black
Offered by Panda Value

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, works fine - simple to pair up ..., 16 Feb. 2016
Great value, works fine - simple to pair up and great for switching all the bedroom appliances off before sleeping!

Nutri Pro 1000 Extra Deluxe Blender - New 1000w - Unique NUTRIENT EXTRACTOR BLADE - Bullet Shape Holder - Vegetable / Fruit Smoothie Maker - Juice Maker Retains All The Goodness - Super Powerful - 1000 watt - 25000rpm (Black)
Offered by InternetukShop

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value nutrient blender, 4 Nov. 2015
Really powerful blender, which does indeed whizz everything you throw into it together into a smoothie. For the price paid, it's excellent value for money.

Pros:
- Effective
- Three cups (one large, two small) and a variety of lids supplied, means it's easy to portion this up to take out with you (I take one to work in the mornings)
- Really easy to clean. I mean, REALLY easy. I have a juicer which is a bit of a pain to clean up; this is miles easier.

Cons
- The recipes supplied with the instruction booklet aren't great, although you can just adjust the measurements to your taste; you can also get a huge range of nutri recipe books now.
- It feels weird having a blending appliance which has no buttons whatsoever - this is just personal preference, though.

Creative WP-250 Bluetooth Wireless Sports Headphones with Built-In Microphone
Creative WP-250 Bluetooth Wireless Sports Headphones with Built-In Microphone
Offered by thematys® - Germany

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, reliable connection, rubbish fit, 2 Sept. 2015
I bought these over a year ago after extensive poring over customer and industry reviews of Bluetooth headphones. I wanted something which would be reliable and provide good sound quality, to use in various settings including at a desk, while cycling (at a very low volume, of course ;-) ! ) and at the gym.

The headphones are definitely reliable and provide excellent sound quality - I can't tell the difference between these and my wired headphones. On this basis, I would 100% recommend the Creative Bluetooth headphone set.

My gripe, however, is one major problem for me. Despite the 'mouldable' neck wire, I simply cannot get these to sit comfortably. On my pair, the left earphone sticks out no matter which way I twist and manipulate the wire, and of course this becomes a little irritating and sore after a while. Looking back, I should have returned these as faulty; I don't know if this fault is peculiar to my product or a design flaw. As a result, the headphones have been sitting in a box for the best part of the year. It's only after moving house that I've rediscovered them.

So, can't fault the sound quality, or reliability of Bluetooth connection, but the basic headphone function of sitting in the ears seems to be beyond the WP-250.

Lixada Strap Type Crampons Ski Hiking Belt High Altitude Hiking Slip-resistant 10 Crampon
Offered by Lixada-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 22 April 2015
Took these up Sca Fell in February, in full snow and ice. Great value and added that little bit extra stability. I wouldn't trust them for anything too technical, but I was impressed with the sturdiness of the crampon spikes and the overall quality of the product. The little boot bag they come packaged in is a nice touch, too.

Sony NWZE384 8GB Walkman Video MP3 Player - Blue
Sony NWZE384 8GB Walkman Video MP3 Player - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for sound quality, rubbish for anything else., 22 April 2015
I've owned Sony Walkmans since the days of CDs and Minidiscs, and opted for this mp3 player as my old S638's battery is now completely dead.

It's not an upgrade. The old S series is robust, made of brushed metal and with pleasingly solid buttons, as well as a sliding hold button and volume rocker on the side. The new player, the E series, was always going to be different; however, it feels like cheap plastic akin to a £20 unbranded mp3 player my brother owns. The headphones Sony supply feel and sound like they're from the pound shop. The controls are most annoying for me: the S series controls were intuitive, and there were enough buttons to clearly separate main functions. On the E series, though, there's no sliding hold button and no volume rocker; these functions have been assigned to the centre circle button and two subsidiary buttons. It just makes the product seem hashed together, rather than the ergonomic design I've come to expect from Sony.

The redeeming feature of this player is its sound quality. Stick a decent pair of headphones in and you finally find that Sony quality. Given the previous comparison to a £20 mp3 player, I did a sound test using my preferred headphones. The £20 player sounded ok, but lacked bass. The Sony's superior quality shone through - it has a dynamic equaliser including presets and custom settings, and the sound is rich, with plenty of bass where needed.

Overall, it's a shame Sony have abandoned the "luxury" feel which characterised the Walkman of old (even my Minidisc player was made of brushed metal), and if I was to find another brand of mp3 player which could match Sony's sound quality, I'm sure it would be cheaper and I would gladly 'defect'. For now though, I'm sticking to Sony.

Mobile Junction ® SView Samsung Galaxy S4 i9500 i9505 S IV Premium Slim Flip Smart S-View Screen Case Battery Cover with Auto Sleep Wake Function Incl. Free Screen Protector & Stylus Pen (White)

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, but..., 24 Jun. 2014
For the price, this is a good bundle.

Cons: The cover itself is not great quality; I've had it for about a week and the edges are fraying and it's starting to look tatty.

Pros: The S view screen is a nice touch and works just like the premium official Samsung product.
The screen protector is easy to apply and thus far seems to be of good quality.

I'm not using the supplied stylus so I can't comment on that.

Overall: I'll be investing in a more expensive case because the frayed edges are aesthetically displeasing and indicative of poor quality, but I like the fact that this kind of value bundle is available.

Invicta Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Black PU Strap 10917

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality item, bought at a fantastic price, 17 July 2013
Bought this as a present on Amazon Lightning deals and so felt very pleased at having saved a hefty amount on a quality item. When it arrived I was even more pleased - this particular model looks even more classy "in the flesh" as it were (or should that be on the flesh?!).

The recipient of this watch (my dad) was also very impressed with the quality of the watch, particularly because there is a small magnifying area over the date, making the small digits easier to read. It looks and feels well-made.

I had had reservations about the PU strap, but when the watch arrived my fears were assuaged - this, too, is of a high quality - nice and chunky, a robust feel to it. I suppose also that if you really didn't like it, you could always change the strap; however, as my dad pointed out, the strap material suits this watch's purpose as a sportswear item.

Personally, I'm not sure I would pay the 399 RRP and am very glad I got a huge discount on this watch. It's not that I don't think the watch is worth much money, but if you are considering buying it, maybe wait to see if it becomes available at a deal price, just so you feel as glad as I do!

6 IN 1 PACK CLEAR LCD SCREEN PROTECTORS FOR CANON POWERSHOT SX230 HS - 3 LAYER DIGITAL CAMERA DISPLAY SAVER
Offered by Membrane Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 22 Mar. 2012
Great value for money - good quality item, a perfect fit, easy to apply and doesn't affect my view of the camera screen.

Why get a 6 in 1 pack? Well from experience with smartphones, mp3 players etc., over time the protector itself becomes scratched and worn (while the screen stay shiny and new) - this way all I'll need to do is remove the old protector and pop a new one on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3