Profile for Peter AP > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Withings Activité Pop Smart Watch - Activity and Sleep Tracker - Shark Grey
Withings Activité Pop Smart Watch - Activity and Sleep Tracker - Shark Grey

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks cheap., 17 Jun. 2015
Looks and feels much cheaper than it is. Also a little bit girlish.

Stadler Stadler Form Otto Bamboo
Stadler Stadler Form Otto Bamboo
Offered by AmbienteDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars very very nice, 2 Jan. 2015
Beautiful and functional design

Harman/Kardon Omni 20 Wireless Loudspeakers - Black
Harman/Kardon Omni 20 Wireless Loudspeakers - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sound, 27 Dec. 2014
I have huge esteem for Harman Kardon, so I put my blind faith in the brand and bought two of the Omni 20s as a gift to use as a stereo pair. The Omnis are advertised as wireless Hi-Fi in contrast to other Harman Kardon wireless speakers which are described as "home" or "portable" implying a lesser level of sound quality. Unfortunately having heard the two Omni 20s in a stereo pair i can say that Hi-Fi speakers they are not. The sound while accurate at higher frequencies lacks depth and power in the lower frequencies. Simply said there is not enough of the beautiful, precise bass that i have come to expect from Hi-Fi Harman Kardon products. The streaming app does not help either as it does not have an equalizer or similar frequency control feature. Overall to me the advertising of this system as Hi-Fi is misleading, neither is the price point per speaker (and yes they come in ones, not twos) justified. I will not be returning this product as they were a gift, and i only heard them after i had given them, but if they were for me i would surely have sent them back.

EDIT: Having looked again at the HK website, i see they are advertising these speakers as "Wireless HD", not wireless Hi-Fi. Well this does not make it any less misleading. Why would i care about the wireless transmission standard if I cannot hear the high quality sound at the other end?

Pringle AN234 Men's Scarf Dark Navy One Size
Pringle AN234 Men's Scarf Dark Navy One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Uber cool!, 10 Dec. 2013
This one is still my favorite, one year on. Highly recommended to anyone wanting a cool manly modern urban look.

Bang & Olufsen PLAY Beolit 12 Airplay - Portable Wireless Music System (Grey)
Bang & Olufsen PLAY Beolit 12 Airplay - Portable Wireless Music System (Grey)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price, 8 Dec. 2013
Setup was a really unhappy experience. B&O nowhere does your support page or instruction leaflet say that this product does not support 802.11n connectivity!!!! It took me 3 hours and at least 20 attempts, resets etc. to find that out. Once i moved the router to 802.11b/g/n mode connection worked flawlessly.

The sound quality is good, without exaggeration at either end. However this is still a mono device, so you essentially get nothing more than what an old radio used to give you - i.e. no stereo. The sound is very directional - you have to be in front of the unit to experience any degree of quality. The sound goes nowhere near what the price suggests. This kind of sound you can get for much less.

Essentially the only quality of this product is portability. If you want to take high quality (mono) sound outdoor on your terrace or on a picnic you may consider this unit. However it is not a replacement even for a small home stereo.

EDIT: Today i tried the speaker using an SRS-Wow HD sound enhancing app. Boy, what a difference! This almost solves the mono sound issue. The two technologies seem to be a perfect match. I am still not raising my star rating because at this price i should not have had to use mind trickery to get a decent sound stage.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2014 4:12 PM BST

Belkin Wemo Home Automation Switch for Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch and Android Devices
Offered by Deals Breaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Wrks like a charm, 12 April 2013
Bought one as a test piece - ultimately i want to buy 2-3 more and use them to turn on area heaters at my villa, so the place is nice and warm when i come over. Essentially this means that i need the remote access function.

Having read some of the complaints was a little nervous. The set up was also slightly unnerving since the thing had difficulty logging in to my wi fi network. I had to change password security mode on my router (also Belkin) from WPA/WPA2 to WPA2 only (apparently the WeMo cannot work with the other mode) and had to restart the app a couple of times. The app also immediately suggested to update the firmware which i did. Finally i managed to set up everything after about 30 minutes.

Since then i have been testing continually via the local and remote function for two days already. Every time it works flawlessly. I will test it for another month and if no glitches will buy more units and set them up at my villa.

Wood Architecture Now!
Wood Architecture Now!
by Philip Jodidio

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good book, 3 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Wood Architecture Now! (Paperback)
Out of the few books on modern wood architecture on the market, probably this is the best one. I would recommend to any fans of wood as an architectual material.

Nokia Lumia 820 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Windows)
Nokia Lumia 820 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Windows)

3.0 out of 5 stars Update: Not quite Finally there, 30 Jan. 2013
After much hesitation I upgraded from Lumia 800 to Lumia 820. I did not regret it in the least.

This is my third phone using the Windows Phone OS, which says enough about my comittment to this operating system. I honestly think this is the best OS for a business phone today. My first handset ruing WP OS was HTC HD7 which I liked tremendously both in terms of functionality and form and usability. Unfortunately I lost this phone and had to move to Lumia 800, which though visually stunning, had some deficiencies in terms of usability - mostly the much smaller screen compared to HD7 and the screen being oversensitive, which made me trigger stuff accidentally. Finally with the Lumia 820 I think I found my perfect match - amazing looks (although no gorilla glass), big screen - great for reading stuff on the go and browsing, and WP8 - a much more mature OS, with improved usability and uber-cool appearance. In this iteration of the Windows Phone the good news is they have left out nothing of the things I liked in WP7, and have added a few extra nifty bits, that I really love. The Nokia navi (by far the best turn-by-turn I have ever used) and the other extra Nokia perks also add significant value to the package.

Overall really happy!

EDIT: After using the phone for some more time, I really like the integration with Skype - you can recevie Skype calls at all times even if the Skype app is not running in the background. There is however an issue with the microphone sensitivity - during normal calls people report bad sound coming from my end (interruptions and faintness of sound). So for them to hear me well I have to press the phone to my cheek (not something I would normally do or which I like). This is probably a software issue as this problem does not appear during a voice call using Skype (which obviously is using the same microphone). I hope they fix it soon with a firmware update (that is why I am not downgrading my review on this phone yet).

EDIT: Nokia didn't fix the microphone issue so far. It appears to be the result of a complex interplay between the voice and noise cancellation microphone and another case of "you are holding it wrong". I am therefore downgrading my view of the phone from 5 to 3 stars. Great phone but fails on the most basic of features.

Nokia WH-930 Purity HD Wired On-Ear Stereo Headset by Monster for iPod, iPhone, Smartphone and MP3 - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Amy`s Schätze

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it at all - subpar sound, 10 April 2012
I bought this expensive set to complement my Lumia 800. The design is impressive. The sound is disappointing - shallow tinny sound, no depth, inferior bass. For a headset at this price point such performance is inexcusable !!!!

The problem is not with the phone but with the headphones - at the moment I am listening with the same phone using the Sennheiser cx300 II and the sound is much much much better (and these cost 5 times cheaper than the Nokia Purity).

Bottom line - hugely overpriced delivering pitiful sound. Don't buy (sorry Nokia but it is the truth)
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2012 2:40 PM BST

Nokia Lumia 800 Sim-free Windows Smartphone 16GB - Matte Black
Nokia Lumia 800 Sim-free Windows Smartphone 16GB - Matte Black
Offered by Shelfone™

4.0 out of 5 stars Final Verdict, 18 Mar. 2012
When you are Nokia, you set expectations high. Therefore you get negative exposure even for the minor annoying quirks.

I re-wrote this review already 3 times, this is the fourth and (hopefully) final one, after having owned the phone for several weeks now:

1. Hardware

Nokia have always had a good reputation for quality look and feel of hardware. The Lumia 800 is no exception. The deep black amoled is stunning especially with the black policarbonate case. The first impression is of a top-end phone, with sexy slim design. Battery life (I am not sure whether this is a hardware or a software issue) is acceptable (following the latest firmware update) for this level of slimness and this size and brightness of screen. Certainly does not affect significantly usability. Of course this is a result of a few battery saving tricks such as - switching off 3G and Wi Fi and bluetooth, as well as various services that send feedback back to Microsoft and Nokia, along with useless location services. The OS also has a useful battery saving feature, which turns off mail synchornisation at very low battery levels and lets you have the phone for its core functions a few more minutes.

The quirks are mainly two. Firstly despite some improvement following the latest firmware update the screen is still oversensitive and you accidentally open things you don't want to. This makes the interaction with the OS rather uneasy, and nowhere near as fluent as it is in iOS devices or HTC WP7 handsets. Here Nokia did not live up to expectations. The second is the weird position of the on/off button - just below the volume keys. I have never (since owning the phone) hit correctly the on/off button from the first time. I always mix it up with the volume keys or the camera button which are the same size and on the same side of the phone. This is a great example of design not being carefully thought through. The traditional 'on top' position, or even left hand side position would have been much better.

Another minor quirk is that the GPS also seems inferior to other models and often has difficulty identifying the correct location while indoors. Outdoors it works mostly fine.

2. Software

There is not much to complain about the OS WP7.5 and the goodies in terms of software, coming with the phone. I continue to think that WP7 is the most stylish and most convenient OS for business use out there. A lot of thought went into making it usable. It is a pitty MS don't market it actively to the business community where they could easily crush BB in terms of reliability and usability. The Nokia navigation is nice.

There is one big annoyance in that when in a call the proximity sensor does not seem to function properly and when taken away from the ear it often (almost every other call) can't make up its mind and flashes (turns on and off) the secreen repeatedly making ending the call rather difficult. I think this issue came up following the latest firmware update, so probably it will get fixed soon.

Verdict

This is an unfinished masterpiece, full of good intenion. The look, the feel, the goodies show Nokia aimed high with this device. Execution and details suffer. It looks like an uneasy first time union with Microsoft, where neither still feel comfortable - the OS and the phone still do not integrate seemlessly. Not well thought through design creates daily annoyances, which I did not expect from a Nokia. Still this is one of the best phones on the market and I hope things improve with firmware and software updates.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2012 5:38 PM BST