Profile for Lesley Watts > Reviews

Content by Lesley Watts

Lesley Watts

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Red Hot Professional Style Compact Foldable Hair Dryer Hairdryer with Concentrator Nozzle
Offered by One Click Wonder
Price: 8.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, great service, 2 July 2014
Just what aka wanted, a little lightweight hairdryer to keep in the spare room and be able to take on holiday. Arrived very promptly and works perfectly,

The Diary of a Provincial Lady (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Diary of a Provincial Lady (Penguin Modern Classics)
by E.M. Delafield
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, elegant prose and very very funny., 2 July 2014
Brilliant book. Even tho it is dated (1930s), the sentiments are totally transferable to toady, with just a little adjustment in the readers mind, which is automatic. For instance, I don't buy a new hat when feeling down but the modern 'retail therapy' is an instant replacement.
Her comments and questions to herself in parenthsis, throughout the book, are like Bridget Jones' notes to self and Miranda Hart's pieces to camera.
This is a wonderfully funny book and also gives a good idea of middle class family life in this period. It is not a book you have to read from start to finish. There is no plot and it is written as a diary. However, I have used it to pick up and dip into in between other books and when I need a lift and it is just perfect!! Not a laugh out loud book but my husband frequently comments on my chuckling as I read it in bed. Recommended.

The Accidental Tourist
The Accidental Tourist
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 2 July 2014
I read this for my book group, as one of our number said she had read all of Anne Tyler's work and recommended this book for last month. After a slow start I really got into the book.however, I felt that there was much more she could have done with a lot of the other character and, indeed, we all felt that a separate book about the sister, Rose, would be a good novel!
Basically, it a book about a whole slew of dysfunctional people, trying to make sense of their lives. Macon, the Accidental Tourist of the title, writes books for American business men who have to travel away for home frequently. The premiss of these little guides is that they show exactly where everything, to give a home from home feel to the trip, can be found. At first I thought this ludicrous, but then thought of all the English Breakfasts and Irish Bars that are so popular in tourist areas - and changed my mind!!
At the start of the book Macon and his wife Sarah separate. We learn that their son was killed in an horrific shooting and that they are dealing with it, but each in their own way and this has driven a wedge between than as a couple, which is often the case with people who lose children. Macon already has very limited social skills (Imwondered how he ever got married) and become reclusive after Sarah leaves and his behaviour becomes ever more erratic as he tries to cope with living alone. He meets Muriel, who is so different to anyone he has ever know and they start, after she pursues his vigorously, a relationship. Muriel has a son, who Macon struggles with but eventually they form a bond. Macons family are all, similarly, socially challenged and, indeed, all of them are 'directionally dyslexic', being virtually unable to find their way to anywhere new - another ironic feature of Macon's career!
His sister Rose, cares for his two brothers and all three sibling still live in the family home. None of them seem to think this odd, for do they query that Rose simply acts as a housekeeper to them. They are all perfectly pleasant characters and do not see just how weird their lives are - for instance, no one ever answers the phone if it rings!! Rose eventually meets Macon's publisher and marries him but leaves him to go back to the 'boys' as she called her two older brothers.
Clearly they all have problems that could and or/should be diagnosed and labelled - Aspergers, Autism spectrum, OCD, all seem apparent throughout the book but, like The Rosie Project, the people with the condition are so unaware this they are not 'normal' in their reactions that they just get on with their lives. An entertaining read and one that makes me want to read more from Anne Tyler. I will also be watching the film of the book.

The Universe versus Alex Woods
The Universe versus Alex Woods
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly enjoyable book, 2 July 2014
I read this book for my book group and enjoyed it so much that I have recommended it to another group! Despite the fact that I have never read any Kurt Vonnergut, this did not detract for the book for me. Alex writes heartbreakingly, but incredibly understatedly about being the 'weird' kid at school. There is always one child at every school with an odd Mum, one who is too clever for the other kids to cope with and one who has had something odd happen in his life but poor Alex is all of these rolled into one. The bullies line up but he finally outwits them and forms a wonderful bond with the crusty old Mr Peterson. Alex's style is incredibly matter of fact - the result, perhaps of his interest in and ambition towards science in all its forms.
Like a lot of children, Alex is able to relate to the Grandfather figure of his neighbour rather than his parent. This is probably especially true as his father is not just absent but not even known! His fey, leaning towards batty, Mother is fiercely protective of Alex, understandably, but he get the freedom to act as an adult and make real, heartbreaking, adult decisions when he is with Mr P. The final part of the book is never over sentimentalised but is told with such tender detail. I felt I would be really interested to hear how Alex got on in later life and if he achieved his goals.
Feel I now have to attempt at least one Vonnergut book!!!!

LINDY BOP CLASSY BLUE POLKA DOT VINTAGE WW2 LANDGIRL 1940s 1950s PINUP RETRO TEA DRESS (18)
Offered by Lindy Bop
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good tea dance dress, 1 April 2014
I bought this for a forties party and also because we do 'Lindy Hop' dancing, so will have lots of use for a war time look. The dress is a good fit, lovely silky material which hangs well. My only issue was that I had anticipated it being longer and had read reviews from customers who had had to shorten this dress. Either they come in different lengths or that customer was very small!! This is only just below my knees and I am 5'7".

However, I wore it and it looked great and I will almost certainly use this site again for more vintage clothing.

The Storyteller
The Storyteller
Price: 2.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her usual style, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Storyteller (Kindle Edition)
I have read lots and lots of Jodi Picoult books but this one, although dealing with a difficult moral issue (as usual) is not her usual style. True, each chapter is written from a different character's point if view, but for the first few chapters, it is very difficult to know who is talking and how the stories intertwine. This does become obvious as the book progresses. However, the large proportion of the book, set during the war and the holocaust are extremely harrowing and all the members of our book group said that they would have given up on it, if they hadn't needed to finish it for our discussion.
If this was your firs Picoult book, you might be put off reading any more. However, she is usually an author I recommend and enjoy reading and her books certainly always generate good talking points.

The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul
The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informative, 22 Mar 2014
Although I did enjoy this book and was fascinated by the accounts of everyday life in Kabul (especially the accounts of how women live/are treated), the rather 'and they all lived happily ever after' ending rather disappointed me.

The characters were all interesting and well rounded and the pace of the story kept the pages turning. I read this for a book group but would certainly read her other book about Kabul as her first hand experience of the subject matter makes for a fascinating insight into a world as different from ours as it is possible to be.

Sisterland
Sisterland
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have made so much more of this premise, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Sisterland (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended to us for a book group read. If I had not had to finish it, I doubt that I would have soldiered on to the end. The main characters - twins Violet and Daisy are psychic. Daisy, who I think might have been written as the 'heroine' is boring and needy to an amazing degree. How her husband puts up with her was beyond me. She changes her name to Kate and, apparently, is able to supress her psychic abilities. This is just one area of the book which simply does not ring true. Psychic abilities are elsewhere explained as a gift that you either have or don't - no choice available! We are treated to an amazing catalogue of the minutiae of Kate's life, as well as some of the other characters, for instance there are long descriptions of the routes they take in their cars to various places around the area (which, of course mean nothing to the vast majority of readers). None of this details is interesting, nor does it add to the story in any way that I could see. Without giving the story away, it is possible to say that Vi predicts a huge earthquake and gets lots of media attention, which is anathema to Kate. The build up is long, slow (littered as it is with all the unnecessary details I mentioned) and the climax/ending is dealt with in a very short section of the book and left me with more questions than answers. I am not sure that I would ever seek out another book by this author

Long Time Coming
Long Time Coming
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Long Time Coming (Kindle Edition)
I tend to read in bed at night and this is perfect for that. Not intellectually challenging and it lulled me to sleep after a couple of pages. Totally predictable ending but a few twists on the way there to maintain interest.

TUPPENNY HAT DETECTIVE
TUPPENNY HAT DETECTIVE
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Was this meant for adultss? Not sure, 9 Dec 2013
I think that this story would appeal to a teenager as much as it did to me. Lots of vernacular phrases to ensure you remembered it was set in t'north!!
Enjoyable enough for me to read to the end, though, but not an author I will seeking out again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4