Profile for KJ > Reviews

Michael Jackson's Vision [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Michael Jackson
Offered by rightpricediscs

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it !, 27 April 2014
Bought this as a 9th birthday present for our son, he absolutely loves it. The videos are good quality, even the older ones and he has watched them over and over again.

Horrible Histories - Series 4 [DVD]
Horrible Histories - Series 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dominic Brigstocke

5.0 out of 5 stars Horribly Fantastic !, 27 April 2014
Our entire family love HH and we have watched practically all of them. The series (and comics) are better than almost anything else showing on British TV, including the grown up comedies which I don't find that funny. British TV is seriously lacking quality comedy these days. HH CDs are for the entire family to enjoy - if you can stomach watching lots of poo and gore that is !

Three Diamonds and a Donkey (Misfitz Mystery)
Three Diamonds and a Donkey (Misfitz Mystery)
by Josh Lacey

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 27 April 2014
My 9 year old son found it very easy to read and thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend it for both boys and girls.

The 48 Hour Diet :: Intermittent Fasting for Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss
The 48 Hour Diet :: Intermittent Fasting for Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss
by Margaret Mackenzie

1.0 out of 5 stars It's a very personal account, 27 April 2014
This book is a very personal account so not quite what I was hoping for, not really worth buying if you plan on following the diet correctly.

My Uncle Napoleon (Modern Library)
My Uncle Napoleon (Modern Library)
by Iraj Pezeshkzad

5.0 out of 5 stars A Persian Classic, 27 April 2014
Incredible book by an amazing Iranian writer. To me this book is not a work of fiction, it's an utterly true account. Pezeshkzad is not just a master story-teller, he is a sociologist and a historian. I admire and respect him for his ability to tell the truth. I was sad to hear in a BBC documentary that he has hardly made a penny because the book has been banned for over 35 years in his native Iran and he lives a very modest life in France. He has not received any royalties (from the original Persian version) since it was banned although fake copies have probably made it one of Iran's best sellers. I bought this copy for my son who is 10 years old and he absolutely loves it. He gets the humour and sarcasm straight away. It's incredible how close Persian humour is to that of the British (ironically of course if you read the book !!). Some of the language is too difficult for him, but we have been reading it together. This is a beautiful English translation.

AcuLife Ear Wax Removal Syringe
AcuLife Ear Wax Removal Syringe
Offered by Buy Zone Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars It works if you persist !, 9 July 2013
I have suffered for years from having very blocked ears. I wear wax ear plugs at night as I'm a very light sleeper. I'm petrified of medical procedures and had read that there is a possibility of ear drum damage through syringing at a doctor's surgery. Ok, I don't know how high that risk is, but the idea of having a nurse shove a high power water jet into my ears meant that I chose to do nothing about my waxed up ears for many years. Doing nothing seemed better than risking permanent ear drum damage. So a few weeks ago, having completely lost hearing in my left ear due to wax build up, I finally decided to try ear drops.
I bought over the counter drops in Boots and used it in just the badly affected ear twice a day . After about 4 days, my ear felt even worse, it had become so badly blocked I could hardly hear anything. Obviously because the ear drops were loosening the wax it felt like there was a lot of liquid moving around. Having totally given up, I called to make an appointment with the nurse. Still worried and unsure, 3 days before seeing the nurse I made one last attempt to sort this out at home. So I did what I normally do when desperate for information and searched on Amazon. I found AcuLife and read the reviews. I was so pleased that others had been successful I bought one using express next day delivery post. I tried AcuLife as soon as I got it. I used at least 3 large bowls of water (just in the one ear that I had been using drops in).
Unfortunately nothing happened. As I was away on holiday for the next two days, I just took the drops and carried on using it. I was getting very depressed that nothing seemed to work. Finally, once I came back home, on the morning of my appointment with the nurse, I decided to give AcuLife a final shot (excuse the pun !!!) Again I went through a couple of bowls of luke warm water, but on this occasion I could see clumps of wax coming out with the water. Amazing !!! I knew I had removed all of the wax when I was sitting down in an upright position and suddenly I felt my ear pop open, it was such a pleasant feeling. I could hear clearly again.
So my advice is NOT to give up on this product and if you have many years' of wax build up like mine, just carry on using AcuLife until all that horrible stuff starts to fall out. I then used it in my other ear, and managed to sort that one out as well. The result was that I didn't need ear syringing . I actually went to see the nurse that day any way, only to ask her to quickly check my ears to see if they were clear !!! Indeed they were she said. Previously nurses and doctors had told me they couldn't see my ear drums as they were so blocked. I was so pleased to tell the nurse that her procedure would be unnecessary. She looked unimpressed and didn't even bother to ask me what magic gadget I had used to sort out the problem. Typical NHS, they hate it when you self-diagnose or do anything remotely "different" to what they recommend. Thank you Amazon and everyone who sells quality products that actually work : )

Business Plans for Canadians for Dummies
Business Plans for Canadians for Dummies
by Nada Wagner

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, 22 May 2013
I have been reading quite a few self-help business books recently; this is the best I have read so far. It amazes me that there are many people with established businesses writing books that basically advertise their business and blow their own trumpet, but say very little of substance. This book is different. It is written by academics and business people with real experience who are not too frightened to give away their expertise.

I think most other business books written by "business gurus" are a waste of time and money because they don't wish to give away any of their "secrets" so they are deliberately vague. Such books are used as advertising for the author's business, they are not really written to help you to establish or run your own. I have so far wasted quite a bit of money on business books that I could have written myself!!!

So overall, I am extremely impressed that this Dummies book has been a good investment as it provides an enormous amount of detail. It is also written in a style that is accessible to most new business people. I am moving to Canada soon to establish my business there. The fact this is written specifically for Canadian businesses is really invaluable.

Unfortunately this edition it is a little out of date as it was published in 2008 and it appears not to have been re-published since then. There is another Dummies book called "Starting and Running a Small Business For Canadians For Dummies All-in-One" which was published more recently in 2012. I am going to buy this one too as it appears to have more up to date information on internet resources, business groups and networking, new legal and tax regulations, etc.

E-commerce Get It Right! - Essential Step by Step Guide for Selling & Marketing Products Online. Insider Secrets, Key Strategies & Practical Tips - Simplified for Start-Ups & Small Businesses
by Ian Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for Ecommerce Start-Up Companies, 26 April 2013
I am very impressed with the effort Ian Daniel has put into providing such useful information for new ecommerce websites. I emailed Ian just after buying the book. He responded literally within minutes and has since sent me other information regarding the approach I should take when employing and working with web designers and people who pass themselves off as SEO "experts". Ian's advice set off many alarm bells, especially as I’m new to the ecommerce world and in my dealings with web designers.

Although I am quite astute when it comes to setting up and running a business (I have been running a successful face to face business for the past 2 years) I have realised, thankfully quite early on, that in order to run a profitable ecommerce business, there are no short-cuts to understanding how your ecommerce website functions. This includes all the technical aspects. You don't need a PhD in website development, but you do need to know a sufficient amount not to come across as naive when talking to web designers. Unfortunately, there are cowboy companies out there who may abuse the fact that you know next to nothing about designing a website.

Having now read most of this book, I have realised that I made numerous mistakes. I wish I had read it several months ago when I was looking to employ my first ever web design company. My website is being designed right now and although it's too late to change the company I'm working with, this book has given me the confidence to ask them lots of probing questions. My web designers no longer have the upper hand, because I know what I'm talking about! Also, make sure you fully understand their contract before you sign anything. If necessary, get legal advice before signing the initial contract, before you give them a single penny. Most are not interested in your business or whether you are ever going to make a profit. Make sure they work hard to give you the website you need to make money on the internet.

I highly recommend this up-to-date ecommerce book. It is rare to find an author who is willing to promptly respond to your emails. Use this book to learn as much as possible about the technology involved in designing your website, learn about effective SEO and get your ecommerce business off the ground!

Boys Backpack Gym School Bag Travel Cabin Hand Luggage Navy/Car
Boys Backpack Gym School Bag Travel Cabin Hand Luggage Navy/Car
Offered by Lowcostbags

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Rucksack, 16 May 2012
Great rucksack, the perfect size for my son who is nearly 8. He is small compared to other boys in his class (not his fault he has shortish parents !) this rucksack is the perfect size for a boy at primary school. His lunch and homework book (size A4) fit into it very neatly. Previously we have only found rucksacks that were either too big (for adult men) or too small for A4 size books/notebooks.

I have bought several previously which were poor quality, they got torn and worn on the edges within weeks. School children like kicking rucksacks and coats around in the cloakroom (so I've heard) hence several broken lunch boxes and rucksacks that look tired and worn quite quickly. This one looks expensive and I hope it lasts at least until the end of next school year.

The colour and style are great too, this is one for khaki green lovers like us !

Nextbase SDV47AM - Twin Screen 7" Portable DVD Player System (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars User friendly, Dual Mointor with Quality images, 2 Jan 2010
This had a much better screen quality than expected. The dual monitors allow one of us to view the film from the front and the remote allows us to change or stop things sitting anywhere in the car. If you have to stop the car, the film starts again where you left off, not at the beginning, which is excellent for fussy children who have no patience to find the place they left off ! My son (5.5 yrs) loves it, I wish I had bought one sooner. I thought the money was worth it, a very reasonable price for 2 screens. It also looks quite good as it is black and suits most cars. It comes with a carry case to carry the screens, wires, etc. I was worried about the brand name, as I had never heard of Nextbase, but having had a terrible experience with a Philips home DVD player which died in just 1 year, perhaps the big names don't live up to theor reputations somethimes?