Profile for Alan Kirkham > Reviews

Content by Alan Kirkham

Alan Kirkham

Page: 1 | 2
Micro Trader 371Pcs Repair Tool Kit Watch Opener Remover Spring Pin Bar With Case
Offered by Micro Trader
Price: 16.99

1.0 out of 5 stars the worst thing I have ever brought from Amazon!, 27 Mar 2014
I brought this based on the previous reviews and I have to say that this is the worst thing I have ever brought from Amazon. When opened it looked that this had either been returned by another buyer or there is zero quality control in the factory where they make this rubbish. Every pin pinch was bent and the link pin remover was so poorly made that it was next to impossible to use.

this piece of junk consists of 12 tools and a box of pins
- If you are a serious hobbyist or a professional watchmaker, you are going to buy quality tools.
- If you are an amateur (like me) who likest to give it a go, why would you need all of those pins?

Didn't bother sending it back in case some other sucker ended up receiving it. Threw the whole lot into the bin and wrote this down to experience

Rice Paper Round 22cm-CTF - 400G
Rice Paper Round 22cm-CTF - 400G
Offered by Wing Yip Store
Price: 2.44

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what is advertised, 15 Aug 2013
I ordered this item based on the stated ingredients list of 90% rice flour. What I received is 57% Tapioca starch and only 25% rice flour. - I will be contacting the supplier ......

As stated in previous reviews, packaging could have been better to prevent damage

Facom FCMR360NANO R.360NANOPB 1/4-inch Socket Drive Set
Facom FCMR360NANO R.360NANOPB 1/4-inch Socket Drive Set
Price: 112.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little tool kit, 22 July 2013
This is an excellent little tool kit that I take everywhere with me when I am travelling.

Well make and well thought out.

Ukulele For Dummies
Ukulele For Dummies
by Alistair Wood
Price: 11.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Beginners Guide, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Ukulele For Dummies (Paperback)
I brought my Ukulele 4 weeks ago and three different guides to help me learn - two on my Kindle an this one in proper book form with CD.

I don't even bother looking at the two e-books, as this one is so good! Inside a month, I've managed to pin down quite a lot of chords and nailed the strumming patterns. Some of you might think this is slow, but for a 50 year old with fat fingers, who has never played any sort of musical instrument before, I'm very proud of my achievement!

The book is very well laid out and easy to follow.

I would highly recommend this to Ukulele virgins like me

Withings Black Wifi Body Scale
Withings Black Wifi Body Scale
Offered by MedClub
Price: 246.21

2.0 out of 5 stars Alan K, 7 Feb 2013
I've had these scales for two and half years. Most of the time they have worked well, although I was somewhat dubious about the 2lb weight gain overnight (maybe this is as some other reviewers have pointed out - dodgy readings) that occasionally occurred (usually to the missus, much to her disgust)

Anyway - I was very happy with the scales until December 2012, when they stopped taking fat readings. After consulting with Withings Customer Services, my scales are 'broken' and the two year warranty has expired. After shelling out over 100 quid for a set of scales, I would have hoped for more than 2.5 years usage.

Withings did offer me a 50% discount on a new set of scales if I sent them the broken set. Since accepting this offer, they have become somewhat silent and have not sent me the return address or the discount details.....

Another week goes by and still no response from Withings Customer Services.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2013 4:41 PM GMT

Cat watch Ultrasonic Deterrent
Cat watch Ultrasonic Deterrent
Offered by Garden_Wildlife_Direct
Price: 49.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Alan K, 9 Jan 2013
This is the second one of this cat scarer that I've owned. The first one lasted about 4 years before it gave up the ghost. It worked very well, keeping all of the neighbourhood cats from my garden, which in turn resulted in an increase in the number of birds. It worked so well, I decided to fork out the money to get the same model

Unfortunately, there is a new cat in town. Whether the cat scarer is faulty or whether the cat is deaf, I dont' know - the cat walks right up to it every time it comes into the garden! It seems more of an attractor than a scarer.....
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2014 12:44 PM BST

Liquid Salted Caramels, No.1's
Liquid Salted Caramels, No.1's
Offered by Fine Food Specialist
Price: 13.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Alan, 9 Jan 2013
As the previous reviewer stated, this is a small jar of choccies for the money you are paying. I purchased this as a Christmas present for the girlfriend who is a self confessed chocoholic. Unfortunately, she didn't enjoy the combination of flavours very much.

Packaging is excellent and the product exudes quality

Flavours are pretty intense and may not be to everyone's taste.

Score Draw Retro Aston Villa 1982 Champions of Eur
Score Draw Retro Aston Villa 1982 Champions of Eur

5.0 out of 5 stars Alan K, 2 Aug 2012
good quality bit of kit that even the missus liked. She even said I could wear it when I am with her in public (she is no a villa fan......)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 1:07 PM GMT

Gray Wagan Ortho Wedge Seat Cushion
Gray Wagan Ortho Wedge Seat Cushion

4.0 out of 5 stars Alan, 7 Aug 2011
This actually works! My girlfriend recently brought a new Audi A1 and, after the first long trip in it, started suffering from Sciatica. We thought that this may be because the seats are "firm" (dealers description). The dealer could not offer a solution, so we resorted to trawling the net for similar problems.

We found the Wagan Ortho seat cushions and thought that paying around [] would be a lot cheaper than trading in the car for a different model. After a week or so of continual use, the sciatica has completely disappeared!

I've only rated it 4 stars because the shape does not fit very well to the shape of the Audi seats and I can't find cushions to fit sports seats and would have to resort to some 'modifications' with a sharp knife to make it stay in place.

All in all a very good buy and value for money

Lavish Premium Leather Case for iPhone 4/4S - Black
Lavish Premium Leather Case for iPhone 4/4S - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Alan, 30 Mar 2011
The case is well stitched, but I have a few issues with the design.
- As pointed out by another reviewer, the magnets in the case interfere with the Compass. I removed the magnets and replaced them with velcro
- The 'button' that is built into the case to enable you to use the main menu button on the iPhone is not very good - it worked better when I removed the whole thing entirely with a 10mm drill bit.
- The two 'sticky' strips that are supposed to hold the phone in the case are not very good and you need to be carefull that the phone does not slip out. Again, velcro came to the rescue.

As it is, the case is not very practical but, after a few careful modifications, it works well

Page: 1 | 2