Profile for S. L. Nicholson > Reviews

Content by S. L. Nicholson

S. L. Nicholson (UK)

Philips GoGear ViBE 4GB MP3 Player - Blue (discontinued by manufacturer)
Philips GoGear ViBE 4GB MP3 Player - Blue (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars It died after three months, 1 April 2013
I bought this three months ago; treated it well; had no accidents with it (unlike the poor creative zen I put through the washing machine in my jeans pocket); but yesterday it died. It won't charge at all, despite many hours connected to my PC. I can still transfer music onto it, but that's not much use when it can't hold a charge. I still have a small hope that a firmware upgrade might help, but frankly I expect an MP3 player to go more than three months without drastic intervention. I'm not impressed.

Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD]
Puss N Boots [Not Dreamworks] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jerome Deschamps
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars It's hurting my ears, 22 Feb 2013
Like so many other people, I bought this in error. My eight year old son thought it was the movie he'd seen at the cinema (i.e. the Dreamworks version), and I had no idea it wasn't.

I'm watching it with my son now; I'm not sure I'm going to be able to stay in the room until the end. The horror began with the musical accompaniment to the opening scene: a very unpleasant version of Fuer Elise. In fact, I'm not as distressed by the animation or the dialogue (although I wonder if it's a little sexist and racist) as I am by the music. Lots of classical music, horribly executed; hokey incidental music; weird dancing numbers. Ugh. I think I could almost tolerate it, were it not for the constant assaults on my ears.

My son seems to be enjoying it; he says I shouldn't judge it by the music. I can't watch any more; I'm off to the kitchen to make him some popcorn. Any excuse would do, really.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 7:08 PM GMT

What Did the Biblical Writers Know
What Did the Biblical Writers Know
by William G. Dever

1.0 out of 5 stars What does W.G. Dever know?, 18 Mar 2010
Oh dear. This book does not even begin to answer the question it poses on its cover. Unfortunately, instead of answering that question, the author engages in an extended rant against other scholars in different field over issues he doesn't appear to understand.

If you want to find out what the biblical writers knew and when they knew it, there are plenty of good introductions to biblical studies. This isn't one of them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2013 7:04 PM GMT

Numatic HVR200M-22 Henry Micro Vacuum Cleaner, Microtex Filtration System, 1200W

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and powerful, 3 April 2009
When I read reviews about Henry I was amused that people referred to a vacuum cleaner as 'him'. I muttered, "Hello, people: it's a machine!" Then I bought one.

I think I'm in love. I've never felt this way about an appliance before. He's definitely the strong, silent type - well, not silent exactly; but I don't worry about turning him on late in the evening, because I'm certain the neighbours can't hear anything.

He gets the job done and he gets it done right. He's amazingly powerful for such a little guy - only 1200 watts, so he doesn't use up a lot of energy, but he's very efficient.

The only difficulties I've had were when I caught him eating underwear. It's mainly socks, but he'll go for pants and bras too if I'm not careful. So I've had to make sure I check under all the beds before I start. Oh, and I know other people were concerned about him falling over, but so far it hasn't happened to me; I've been fairly careful to pull his hose with both hands, which seems to work.

I'm really pleased with him.

Vln & Vla Da Gamba Sonas W/Harpsi (Gould Laredo Rose)
Vln & Vla Da Gamba Sonas W/Harpsi (Gould Laredo Rose)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chemistry, 9 Dec 2008
I've been listening to this over and over, and I'm very struck by the chemistry between the performers that seems to emerge from the music. Gould recorded one of these Sonatas with Menuhin ("Gould Meets Menuhin") and the difference is very interesting: there's an air of competition in the recording with Menuhin, which gives it a kind of edginess that can be quite exciting.

But here Gould and Laredo seem to be caught in a shared passion for the interplay of the music between their instruments, and the result is lyrical and sensual. The first movement of the C minor sonata is a case in point: it's played slowly and phrased to emphasize the dialogue between the instruments. And later, in the Adagio of the same sonata, the syncopation creates a bond between the piano and the violin, even though it's used quite differently in each part. Gould and Laredo sustain their shared interpretive approach throughout the recording, which makes for a truly superb performance.

Bach: The Goldberg Variations 1955
Bach: The Goldberg Variations 1955

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful, 9 Dec 2008
Glenn Gould's first recording of the Goldberg Variations is fresh and vibrant. Apparently Bach wrote the music as a kind of extended lullaby, but I've never yet managed to sleep through any of this recording. (Gould's later recording, from 1981, is more soothing.)

On this disk there are also two fugues from the Well Tempered Clavier. I think of the E major fugue (BWV 878) as a kind of ultimate idea of fugue: if someone wants to know what a fugue is, this is what they need to hear. Gould takes the E major fugue rather quickly in his recording of the whole of the Well Tempered Clavier, but the recording on this disk is slow and clear and wonderfully resonant.

Psychotherapy: An Erotic Relationship - Transference and Countertransference Passions
by David Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating stuff, 5 Sep 2008
I enjoyed this book enormously. It was absolutely fascinating. I read it as a book about love, and the multiple meanings of love and the erotic. I found Mann's approach to theory helpful and persuasive, and his clinical material was very interesting. Also, it was very well-written.

I was especially struck by Mann's view that the erotic transference can be transformational, rather than chiefly a resistance. It makes a great deal of sense to me, particularly if the therapist is able to use her/his erotic countertransference honestly and creatively in service of the transformation.

I laughed; I cried; I couldn't put it down. I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the therapeutic process.

Graded Reader of Biblical Hebrew: A Guide to Reading the Hebrew Bible
Graded Reader of Biblical Hebrew: A Guide to Reading the Hebrew Bible
by Gary Davis Pratico

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for intermediate biblical Hebrew, 16 Oct 2007
This book is for people who have done some introductory biblical Hebrew and want to go further, or for those whose introductory Hebrew was some time ago and is a little rusty.

There are 30 shortish Hebrew texts to read, arranged in increasing order of difficulty. Each text is accompanied by parsing exercises and notes on the grammatical forms found in the text.

Many of the texts included in this book are likely to be familiar to anyone with a background in reading the Bible in English, for example the burning bush (Exodus), the Shema (Deuteronomy), the new covenant (Jeremiah) and Psalm 23. I think the familiarity of the texts used is helpful and likely to keep readers of this book motivated.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to continue their Hebrew.

Jean-François Lyotard (Routledge Critical Thinkers)
Jean-François Lyotard (Routledge Critical Thinkers)
by Simon Malpas

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to Lyotard, 20 Aug 2007
Having encountered some of Lyotard's thought in a haphazard way, I decided it was time to find out a bit more before tackling the man himself.

I've really enjoyed reading Malpas's book. In fact, I couldn't put it down. It's very well-written and presents Lyotard's ideas clearly and concisely. There are also very useful information boxes on related concepts and philosophers, which really help the reader to understand what's at stake.

Having read this book, I'm feeling inspired and looking forward to reading Lyotard. I highly recommend it.