Profile for Christopher Weston > Reviews

Lost River [DVD]
Lost River [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christina Hendricks

5.0 out of 5 stars A very impressive debut!, 2 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Lost River [DVD] (DVD)
This really is such an impressive directorial debut. Yes, it is evident that he has learned a lot working with Refn, but is that really a bad thing? I don't think so. Refn's recent partnership with Gosling has given us the two brilliant films 'Only God Forgives' and 'Drive', and I believe the relationship is responsible for this feature too. The Visuals are gorgeous and hypnotic (courtesy of the brilliant Benoit Debie) and are perfectly complimented by a beautiful soundtrack. This is very much a film that relies heavily on atmosphere, but there is also a plot that many people seem to be ignoring, but its subtlety rewards those who delve into the narrative and take in the aspects of the film as a whole, rather than looking for conventional narrative. The performances are fantastic, particularly that of Ben Mendelsohn as the antagonistic Dave. The film feels reminiscent of Korine's debut 'Gummo', in terms of mise en scene and the ideas of broken community and lost souls. I sincerely hope that Gosling has more up his sleeve and can follow this up, as he has shown a glimpse of what may be a sensational directing talent. Don't miss out on one of the best films of the year!

Megan Is Missing [DVD] [2011] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Megan Is Missing [DVD] [2011] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by supermart_usa

3.0 out of 5 stars Megan is fourteen?!, 4 Feb. 2015
The main problem that I had with this film is just how utterly unconvincing the first half hour of this movie was. I think the reason the director made the girls so young was to make it more shocking, but to be pretty much confirming that this is what America's young teens are doing is ridiculous! It would of been pretty convincing if they were a couple years older but no they had to be younger to make it more shocking. Once I'd accepted that this is the way fourteen year olds were being portrayed in the film I just got stuck in with the film, and once the online chats began that is when it grabbed my attention. There were points in this film that genuinely unnerved and angered me, and also it is worth adding that one particular scene will really have an impression, those pictures have burrowed into my head! If it wasn't for the awful first half of this movie I would of thought much higher of it, but it is definitely worth watching just for the experience and ordeal of the ending, it feels disturbingly real.

Nekromantik Limited Edition [Dual Format + OST] [Blu-ray]
Nekromantik Limited Edition [Dual Format + OST] [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Bernd Daktari Lorenz
Offered by rareplastic

3.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, really!?, 30 Jan. 2015
There is no question about this being a fantastic release, Arrow have done a brilliant job on this and I hope they continue to make releases as good as this. The film however is pretty damn average, and I think people will be saying how great this film is because they don't want such a deluxe package that they admit is bad. It's an interesting film in some respect, as it gives you an insight into a seedy, gritty world that viewers will very rarely witness, and there are some scenes that are quite thrilling to watch, and that being said I really liked the ending of this film. But, the acting was awful and the whole film had an amateur feel to it that some may have enjoyed, but I personally thought it made the film as dreary as the acts being committed. I know that this may be the point of the film, but in that case I wouldn't approach doing a film like this. There are many examples of Extreme/shock cinema that are brilliant, and I consider myself a big fan, but this film seemed so lazy. This is a decent film, but it is being way too over-hyped.

A Hole In My Heart [DVD]
A Hole In My Heart [DVD]
Dvd ~ Thorsten Flinck
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be seen, 30 Jan. 2015
This review is from: A Hole In My Heart [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this last night and I'm still thinking about it in the morning. It seems that a lot of people hate this film and I can understand why in a sense, because on the surface this film is just a group of nasty, shallow outcasts. But, beneath the surface there seems to be something much more sinister, which becomes clear during certain aggressive scenes which are pretty uncomfortable to watch. The film for me seemed to rely on my deep sympathy for Erik, as we are positioned with him. I think the director intended the audience's experience to closely resemble what Erik's goes through, as he often shuts himself off from the other characters but he still peaks through the door to see what they are doing, just like us! I was disgusted at the characters, but I couldn't help but be interested, and I couldn't stop watching this film. It isn't a great film, but it is a very different experience and should be seen.

Infernal Affairs [2004] [DVD]
Infernal Affairs [2004] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andy Lau
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying, 27 May 2014
Gripping at times but I can't help but feel that Scorsese did it better with 'The Departed'. Unfortunately I saw this film after I had seen 'The Departed', but I feel that many people favour this film because it's seen as 'the original' etc. but that isn't really fair. I am a huge fan of Asian Cinema and I must say that I thought I would have enjoyed this more than I did, on the other hand I only really became involved in the narrative around 45 minutes in. From then on it was pretty satisfying but I can't rate a film too highly if the exposition and development just isn't up to the standard of the rest of the film. Although, that being said it is definitely worth a watch if you're into Asian Cinema, but there are better examples out there. But don't let this put you off as I know many people that loved it, so give it a go!

Drive [DVD]
Drive [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling

5.0 out of 5 stars Film at its finest, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Drive [DVD] (DVD)
'Drive' is a gripping, elegant masterpiece with beauty and precision in every single frame. The films narrative is very engaging and Gosling's performance as the mysterious, troubled Driver is absolutely phenomenal. The mise en scene of the entire film is as good as it gets and uses framing devices excellently to create symbolic meaning to create an underlying sense of isolation and loneliness. The film is furthermore complimented by the excellent cinematography that contributes to the very precise, individualistic style of Refn that is returned to in 'Only God Forgives'. The film never fails to keep your attention, not even for a second despite its minimal dialogue, as this just makes Goslings character so much more interesting, and his performance breathtakingly haunting. The relationship between Mulligan and Gosling's characters is captivating and very much needs to be said to establish a deep and aching connection. Brilliant performances and to top it off the soundtrack is excellent and compliments the visual style perfectly. Those who haven't seen this film make sure you see it, or you may just miss the best film of the last ten years.

Hatchet [DVD]
Hatchet [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joel David Moore
Offered by Jasuli

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Slashers ever made, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Hatchet [DVD] (DVD)
This film is perfect for anyone who is a fan of 80's Slasher Films. If this is you then I am sure you will agree that this film deserves and will deservingly achieve Cult-Classic status, and with very good reason. I'll start off by saying that there is nothing contained in this film that isn't of the highest standard. Narrative, location, characters, gore, mise en scene, and most importantly the terrifying Victor Crowley are all absolutely brilliant. If you're like me and you're rather tired of CGI then you'll be pleased to see this refreshing return to Old-School Gore, in which the creators are evidently fond of upon viewing the carefully executed scenes of violence committed by the monstrosity that is the centre-piece of this masterpiece.

I watched this film and was completely unaware that this film would become one of my favourite horror films of all time. The film is rather simplistic in terms of execution but this is what's initially so great about Hatchet. So many modern Horror films try to impress viewers with a complex narrative and then a defying climatic scene but with Hatchet we are just transported back to the golden days of horror and exposed to a world of pure fun and relentless fear. This film feels timeless and I am positive that in many years to come this will be regarded as a benchmark in Horror with great justification. With great cameos and the introduction of a modern horror icon, I can honestly say that this is Horror at its best.

The Collector [DVD]
The Collector [DVD]
Dvd ~ Juan Fernandez

4.0 out of 5 stars Great late night viewing, 22 May 2014
This review is from: The Collector [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film with a rather apathetic approach towards it, as I was not expecting much from the producers of the later Saw films. Unexpectedly, I was totally gripped by the film. If you are looking for a smart, complex narrative then this isn't the film for you. If you are looking for a nice little shocking horror flick then look no further. The protagonist is rather weak, not that this matters because it's his ordeal that separates this film from the average horror. The viewer is kept constantly engaged in the narrative through the constant bombardment of complications and is kept on the edge of their seat due to the determination and eerie presence of the Collector. On the whole this film is all a horror fan could ask for from a film of this calibre, as it is gripping and hugely entertaining with a great cat and mouse narrative that comes to a phenomenal and memorable close.

Child's Play 2 [DVD] [1991]
Child's Play 2 [DVD] [1991]
Dvd ~ Alex Vincent

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun dose of Chucky, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Child's Play 2 [DVD] [1991] (DVD)
May I start off by saying that this film is a lot of fun, but it's pretty much the same as the first film without the development. In some ways this is good, as we are exposed to the evil doll Chucky and his twisted humour earlier on. On the other hand, the continuation of the Childs Play Franchise just doesn't have the same flare and intensity as the original classic, in which when we hear Chucky first speak we are genuinely shocked and terrified.

This is a very colourful and playful sequel in which the viewer has a lot more fun with the Chucky character, as he seems to be a lot more creative. We go on more of a journey with Chucky in this film, but nevertheless we have seen this all before.... and we know the result. All in all this film is great fun, but approach this film differently to the first one, this is a fun thrill ride in which we simply enjoy seeing more from this classic icon of horror.

The Mothman Prophecies [DVD] [2002]
The Mothman Prophecies [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Richard Gere
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 21 May 2014
I was looking forward to watching this film but I have to say that this is one of the worst films I have ever seen, and I've seen 'Patrol Men'. This film will bore you to sleep and it is a challenge to watch it in full. I watched it with my girlfriend and she fell asleep, and I can fully understand why. It's a good idea but it isn't very well executed, and the ending just provided further disappointment. Steer clear.

Page: 1 | 2