Profile for R. Hunter > Reviews

Content by R. Hunter

R. Hunter (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
It's Not About the Tights: An Owners Manual on Bravery
It's Not About the Tights: An Owners Manual on Bravery
Price: 3.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, sweet, strategic + packed with common sense., 29 Jan 2013
It's short, sweet, strategic and packed with common sense (although, looking around, it's not necessarily all that common). The book talks about bravery, offering an acronym to help you start being more brave. Said acronym is CAPE: Confidence, Acceptance, Permission (+ Practice), Execution. The section on confidence in particular threw up some gems for me:

"Confidence is action-driven." - Chris Brogan

"Nothing ever happens with the drama we anticipate." - Dan Carney via Chris Brogan

It also gave me yet another reminder that nothing's gonna happen if I don't execute. It's all in the action.

This is a book that I'd definitely recommend you check out if you need a kick up the bum (which we all do, from time to time) and you fancy doing some epic stuff in your lifetime (who doesn't?).

Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action
Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action
by Simon Sinek
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent message, but a little overdone, 9 Dec 2012
I saw Simon Sinek's TED talk before I read this book. I have to admit, even though there are some brilliant insights in the book, the TED talk pretty much sums up the whole message. The book became very repetitive after a while (and I couldn't help noticing how much free advertising Apple was getting!).

Having said that, the message that Sinek is spreading is one that needs to be heard. It's had me looking at the moves made by big businesses in a whole new light, and it's also made me rethink my own entrepreneurial approach.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, 20 Feb 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The premise is exciting and intriguing, and the story didn't fail to engage me. The only thing that saved this book from getting 5 stars from me is the length. Towards the final third of the book, I began to wish that the inevitable ending would hurry up. Luckily, I was saved from disappointment by the book's remarkable, emotional and touching final scenes.

A definite must-read!

Penny Tassoni's Practical EYFS Handbook
Penny Tassoni's Practical EYFS Handbook
by Penny Tassoni

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me to get my head around the EYFS, 31 July 2010
I first read this book as a trainee teacher before tackling the EYFS for the first time on one of my teaching practices in a Reception class, and now I'm re-reading it before beginning my NQT year as a Nursery teacher.
Penny Tassoni unpicks the EYFS in a way that's very simple and easy to understand. She draws the reader's attention to the most crucial aspects of the document, and provides questions for practitioners to ask themselves as a way of auditing their own setting and practice. There are also plenty of practical tips in the final section of the book on things such as planning and observations, along with sample proformas.
The book is easy to navigate, and the sections are divided in a way that makes it perfect for dipping in and out of when necessary, rather than reading the whole thing cover to cover.
Experienced EYFS practitioners may not benefit as much from this book, but if you're new to the EYFS, I'd recommend getting your hands on it. I haven't found any other book that spells everything out so clearly and practically.

Outdoor Learning in the Early Years: Management and Innovation
Outdoor Learning in the Early Years: Management and Innovation
by Helen Bilton
Price: 20.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and indispensable, 27 July 2010
As an NQT starting in the EYFS this September, I've been searching for useful books to guide me as I plan for the learning environment. This is possibly the best book I've come across so far. It contains a thought-provoking discussion about outdoor learning which, in my opinion, ought to be read by all early years practitioners. As well as providing a theoretical background and a rationale for outdoor learning, the author also suggests ways of setting up the outdoor area and gives lists of possible resources to aid children's learning, alongside lots more helpful advice.

Everyone working in the early years should have a copy of this book!

Michael McIntyre Live 2009: Hello Wembley! [DVD]
Michael McIntyre Live 2009: Hello Wembley! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael McIntyre
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 2.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Good service, quick delivery, 24 Dec 2009
The item arrived quickly and it was in relatively good condition, although the DVD case was cracked inside so I had to replace it. Thanks! :)

Peace At Last
Peace At Last
by Jill Murphy
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful children's story, 4 Aug 2009
This review is from: Peace At Last (Paperback)
I'm a trainee teacher and I recently read this book to a class of six-year-olds. They loved it as much as my three-year-old sister. The story is simple but very entertaining. The repeated phrases and the sound effects interspersed throughout the pages make the story one that young children can easily join in with, and the illustrations are a delight. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone - a classic!

Seven Sunny Days
Seven Sunny Days
by Chris Manby

2.0 out of 5 stars A decent distraction, 21 May 2009
This review is from: Seven Sunny Days (Paperback)
This book would be a good distraction or a decent holiday read if you didn't want something you needed to think too much about, but it wasn't for me.
The book seemed to drag on for ages, and in the end it was a chore to finish it. I predicted the 'twist' about a quarter of the way through the book. I didn't care about any of the characters (in fact, all three of the main characters became quite irritating towards the end).
But as I said, if you want something to read on the beach, it's probably ok.

The Palace of Strange Girls
The Palace of Strange Girls
by Sallie Day
Price: 6.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable debut, 30 April 2009
One of the reviews written here suggests that this book lacks an obvious plot. I partly agree with this; there is no plot in the typical sense of the word. Instead, this is an enjoyable insight into the life of a British family on holiday in the late 1950s. The author obviously carried out significant research into this period, and her work successfully transported me back to a different time.
The book was a real page-turner for me. An impressive debut.

Smooth Transitions: Ensuring Continuity from the Foundation Stage (Early Years Library)
by Ros Bayley
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book, 31 Dec 2008
This book is really useful and gives lots of good advice and information about the transition from the Foundation Stage to Key Stage 1. A must-have for Reception and Year 1 teachers alike.

Page: 1 | 2