Profile for Ceridwen Lamb > Reviews

Glazed Charm: The Beauty of Dutch Tiles
Glazed Charm: The Beauty of Dutch Tiles
by Nora De Nas

5.0 out of 5 stars The illustrations are beautiful and in colour, 16 Sept. 2014
Glazed Charm tells the history of Dutch Delft Tiles from 1575 to 1945. There is an introduction and then the book is divided up into sections with text and illustrations on different tile subjects such as flower, bird, and animal tiles, Bible tiles, hunting scenes, and mythological tiles etc. The illustrations are beautiful and in colour. At the back of the book there is an index with thumbnail sized pictures of each illustration and information about them. This is very interesting, but I would have preferred the information to have been printed beneath the larger illustrations in the front section of the book as I had to keep referring back to the index.
It is good to see a book on Dutch tiles where the complete text is in English as well as Dutch.
This is a beautiful book which I think would be appreciated by anyone interested in the subject as it is informative and well illustrated.
I'm glad I bought it; this is a book to keep and enjoy.

Awesome Engines: Dig Dig Digging
Awesome Engines: Dig Dig Digging
by Margaret Mayo

4.0 out of 5 stars Dig Dig Digging, 11 Dec. 2013
I bought this for my small grandson because I think little boys particularly like machines such as these. The text is in rhyme which also helps develop children's vocabulary skills. The illustrations are attractive and clear and so children can talk about the machines and also what is going on in the rest of the picture as well as enjoying the rhymes.

Hairy Maclary And Zachary Quack (Hairy Maclary and Friends)
Hairy Maclary And Zachary Quack (Hairy Maclary and Friends)
by Lynley Dodd
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack, 11 Dec. 2013
The Hairy Maclary books are great fun to read, both for the child listening and the parent reading. The text rhymes which helps establish vocabulary in young children. The words are easier for them to remember. The illustrations are lovely and also amusing. This is likely to be a much loved favourite.

Building a House
Building a House
by Byron Barton
Edition: School & Library Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars Building a House by Byron Barton, 11 Dec. 2013
I love this book because the illustrations are so clear and beautifully done. It is an ideal book which parents can discuss with small children as it explains in pictures the stages of building a house. I remember reading it to my son when he was one and a half and he loved it, so I bought it for my little grandson. It helps very small children understand their world.

Mister Magnolia
Mister Magnolia
by Quentin Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars Mister Magnolia, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Mister Magnolia (Paperback)
All the Quentin Blake books are beautifully produced. The illustrations are attractive and the content appealing to small children. I bought this book for my small grandson as I remember that my son enjoyed it when he was a small child. It is the kind of book which small children will want to hear over and over again.