Profile for Keenreader > Reviews

Tefal 3-Piece Ingenio Induction Trial Offer
Tefal 3-Piece Ingenio Induction Trial Offer
Price: 48.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. It was bought as a gift and the ..., 11 Aug 2014
Excellent. It was bought as a gift and the recipient was delighted and now wonders how they lived without these pans.

The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules
The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this; it's reminiscent of ' The 100 year ..., 11 Aug 2014
I enjoyed this; it's reminiscent of ' The 100 year old man who climbed out of the window' although I found that funnier. Here I sometimes felt that the author was trying too hard to be funny. Towards the end I began to find it tedious; I think it needed editing and tightening up. It might be the translation but I also felt the tone to be somewhat patronising towards old people. . .

Triton 1.25m Anti-Kink Shower Hose - Chrome
Triton 1.25m Anti-Kink Shower Hose - Chrome
Price: 12.31

5.0 out of 5 stars This arrived very promptly and was just as it said ..., 11 Aug 2014
This arrived very promptly and was just as it said it would be. I should have bought a slightly longer hose, but that was my mistake.. Would use this seller again.

A Kind of Loving
A Kind of Loving
Price: 3.79

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd recommend it to older readers to remind them of the ..., 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: A Kind of Loving (Kindle Edition)
I'd read this many years ago, and it took me back to those years and brought home just how much attitudes have changed. I'd recommend it to older readers to remind them of the years of their youth and to younger readers to understand the world of their parents or grandparents.

Tefal 3-Piece Ingenio Enamel Trial Offer
Tefal 3-Piece Ingenio Enamel Trial Offer
Price: 35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I had bought a set like this some years ago in France so was very ..., 11 Aug 2014
I had bought a set like this some years ago in France so was very happy to see that they're now sold in the UK. I use them almost everyday because with the removable handles they're so versatile; I start the cooking on the hob and then transfer to the oven or the grill, I recommend them to anyone and have bought another set for my son who's a keen cook.

The New Countess (Love and Inheritance 3)
The New Countess (Love and Inheritance 3)
Price: 3.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Fay Weldon never fails to delight, 19 Jun 2014
I was so pleased to find not just one but three of Fay Weldon's works in this story of aristocratic Victorian and Edwardian England and was not disappointed. It is amusing to read these whilst the Downton Abbey series is fresh in the mind; I sometimes felt that she was giving us an alternative and probably more realistic picture of life in the late 19th and early 20th century. Her wit and acute observations coupled with her breezy style kept me enthralled and smiling wryly. Of the three works I felt that this one was perhaps not the best but they are tremendous fun to read. I would definitely recommend starting with Habits of the House, then Long Live the KIng and finally The New Countess to get to know the characters and see how the world changes and the characters change with it.

The Spy Who Loved: The secrets and lives of Christine Granville, Britain's first female special agent of WWII
Price: 4.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 18 April 2014
I learned a great deal about the strength and determination of Polish resistance but what fascinated was the charismatic Christine, her resourcefulness and her bravery, some might say on occasion foolhardiness. The machinations of the competing intelligence interests is also enlightening. All in all, it's an enthralling read.

Behind The Veil In Persia And Turkish Arabia
Behind The Veil In Persia And Turkish Arabia
by M. E. Hume-Griffith
Price: 11.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 13 Feb 2014
I found this social history enthralling. The only reason I have not given 5 stars is that the typeface is abominable.

Arab Summer (A Sasha Del Mira Thriller)
Arab Summer (A Sasha Del Mira Thriller)
Price: 3.49

2.0 out of 5 stars No, 7 Jan 2014
I bought this because I am familiar with Saudi Arabia and was most disappointed. The characters were stereotypes, predictable and wooden and the book ill-researched, If someone is interested in martial arts they might like the passages on the moves of the heroine but otherwise, why bother when there are so many other books worth reading, including thrillers set in a Saudi Arabia which bear some semblance of reality. That the author thought Eton was a top university in England where male students would pop into the girls' dorms will tell you the level of attention which went into its writing. I have given it 2 stars rather than 1 simply because I didn't care about it enough to hate it.

Confession
Confession
Price: 3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Confession (Kindle Edition)
I thought the book well written and the tone felt authentic; obviously the author had researched the Bronte idiolect. The examination of her relationship with Emily and the contrast in two sisters' characters was most interesting. I read that the author had studied Charlotte's Villette, which is thought to be auto-biographical. I am now enjoying another author's version of a similar situation. I'd recommend this to others, despite the slower tempo which one might expect in novels of that period.

Page: 1 | 2