Profile for marinakaplais > Reviews

The Universe versus Alex Woods
The Universe versus Alex Woods
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite read for a long time!, 12 Jan 2014
I loved this book.Quirky and quietly funny,it really gripped me from the start.The character of Alex has been likened to Adrian Mole and I can see why,but I felt he was much deeper than A.M.and I found myself really caring about him,His friendship with his elderly neighbour is the lynchpin of the book and is beautifully described.I was sorry when I reached the end of this book which I highly recommend.

Goodbye Myrtle Maloney (The Myrtle Maloney Series Book 1)
Goodbye Myrtle Maloney (The Myrtle Maloney Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining quick read., 12 Jan 2014
This is a short story about a quiet,mousey woman who decides one day to "live dangerously"and pretend to be an escort for the evening.It was entertaining in a very easy way.I felt the ending was a bit rushed,and the character could have been better fleshed out but all in all a good quick read.

Sleep with the Lights On (A Brown and De Luca Novel - Book 1)
Sleep with the Lights On (A Brown and De Luca Novel - Book 1)
Price: 2.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read., 12 Jan 2014
Despite its some-what hard to believe premise,this book really gripped me and I down-loaded the next in the series as soon as I had finished this one.The main characters were likeable and the relationship that builds between them was well developed.However is it just me who gets sick of everyone in books being SO good looking....can we please have the odd ordinary looking hero!Definately worth a read.

The Perfect Family
The Perfect Family
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read., 12 Jan 2014
This book wasn't always easy reading,as a mother of a gay child I find reading about others predjudices very hard.The family in the story are happy and contended until their young son comes out as gay.His strict catholic father cannot accept this and it causes problems.I cant say I "enjoyed"this book,it could be pretty harrowing,but it was nevertheless a good read.

The Only Way is Up
The Only Way is Up
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A real feel-good story!, 12 Jan 2014
This book was a total winner with me...the characters,although somewhat stereo-typical, were engaging and I really cared about what happened to them.It made me smile.On the basis of this book I have read several more from this author.

Hearts of Gold
Hearts of Gold
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Hearts of Gold (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book even though I'm not a great lover of the genre...I tend to be a crime/mystery reader.I read it,really cared about the charecters and ended up reading all eight books in the series one after another!A good read,great for a duvet day.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A good old-fashioned who dunnit!, 12 Jan 2014
This is a good.well-written book which kept me guessing right till the end.It reminded me of Agatha Christie where the detective guesses the identity of the villan but keeps it to himself until the end of the book where he confronts him with the evidence.The detective,Cormoran Strike,is a well drawn character as is his secretary Robin and I see a series in the offing.I will definately buy more.

Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files Book 1)
Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files Book 1)
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book,well worth a read, 30 May 2013
I thought this was a great read,I liked the characters and the plot was interesting.Easily as good as other detective novels costing pounds.I will be reading the whole of this series.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2013 4:53 AM BST

The Rock
The Rock
Price: 0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Really glad I didnt pay for this...., 30 May 2013
This review is from: The Rock (Kindle Edition)
I was so disappointed with this book as it had so many good reviews.Its extremely poorly edited,the characters are really one dimensional and the story is rubbish.Only my opinion but it could do with a decent edit before its charged for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2013 11:57 AM BST

Common Sense Would Be Good
Common Sense Would Be Good
Price: 1.93

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read with a serious message, 29 Nov 2012
I have always been interested in both politics and justice and this book held my interest easily.Its written in a humourous way which is very easy to understand yet it doesnt soft-soap.We,the common man are being royally stitched up by those in charge.Sadly the book doesnt tell us what to do about it....perhaps the next book by this promising new author will have some suggestions :-)I recommend this book to anyone who,like me,is interested in how our society runs.

Page: 1 | 2