Profile for Dee Strachan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Figure Drawing without a Model
Figure Drawing without a Model
by Ron Tiner

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this second hand - wish that I had the money to buy it new, 16 Jun 2014
Came across this book doing my part time degree in illustration. Not sure about my capabilities to 'draw' realistic figures. This book has some really good advice. The book that I bought was in fairly poor condition, but it's still a great tool. Very good for anyone who is struggling with figure drawing. Just love it. Buy now.

Where There's Smoke
Where There's Smoke
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars A short story or an advertisement for the next book?, 16 Jun 2014
Yes, I've read Jodi Picoult books and enjoyed them. I downloaded this without realising that it was really just an advertisement for the next full length novel. I should pay more attention to what I am downloading - I'm sure that I was warned that this is a 'short story'. But - really it isn't a 'short story' - it's meant to lead into the next novel. Sorry, but this really makes me cross - got to the end (abruptly) and realised that I am supposed to wait to buy the full length novel. Will I - probably not. Marketing People - this could probably stop me from buying the next novel.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2014 11:18 AM BST

Doctor Sleep (Shining Book 2)
Doctor Sleep (Shining Book 2)
by Stephen King
Price: 7.27

5.0 out of 5 stars What happens next - a great follow on book, 13 Jun 2014
Like many people who had seen the film of The Shining - I did wonder what happened afterwards. Well, this book takes you on to the survivors. It is a great book - I loved it and am glad that I read The Shining first to go into the background fully. Definitely a five star book and Stephen King at his strongest. The tension builds through the book - I really wanted to know what happened and how it was going to end, and I definitely wasn't disappointed.

The Shining
The Shining
by Stephen King
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A real classic - a book much better than the film, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Shining (Paperback)
I bought The Shining to read before I read Doctor Sleep, Stephen King's follow up to The Shining. I have watched the film with Jack Nicholson several times and still find it terrifying. However, the book is infinitely better - there is much more depth to the characters and although it is still a 'horror' story, there is much to understand that really didn't come through in the film. I would recommend this to anyone who, like me, knows the film and not the book. Definitely a 5 star rating.

One Moment, One Morning
One Moment, One Morning
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're wondering - buy it, 9 April 2014
I gave this book five stars because I loved it. It's well written, the characters are believable and the story - of a sudden death and it's after effects was very well handled. I was widowed very suddenly, just after the birth of my son, many years ago. Sarah Rayner's handling of this subject was really good. The shock, the holding on for the children (child) the awful sorrow of everyone, wife, mother, brother, friends is all there. Not only was the main story well handled, but so too was the subject of living and trying to help an alcoholic. A slight moan (but not enough to lose a star for) was trying to create a happy ending for everyone with the allotment. Life isn't that tidy - though we do try and work towards something positive, going forward when we're able. It's not an exciting, action filled book, but I really wanted to know how everyone coped and what happened. That made it an un-put-downable book for me.

A Lesson in Dying (Inspector Ramsay 1) (Bello)
A Lesson in Dying (Inspector Ramsay 1) (Bello)
Price: 2.39

4.0 out of 5 stars An Ann Cleeves series I hadn't heard of., 9 April 2014
When I saw a series by Ann Cleeves which I hadn't been aware of, I looked for and downloaded the first Inspector Ramsay book. I think that it became clear pretty quickly that this book was written before the Vera and Shetland series. I am a huge Shetland fan, prefer the books to the TV series (how can Jimmy Perez be blond after all!!). I did enjoy this book, but felt that it didn't have the depth of her later writing - hence the four stars rather than five. Will I buy the rest of the series - I'm not sure yet, but it's good to know that they are there ready to download. A good read, but not the best of Ann Cleeves.

Room At The Inn (The Jeff Resnick Mysteries Book 3)
Room At The Inn (The Jeff Resnick Mysteries Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Jeff Resnick Mysteries, 30 Nov 2013
I bought this ebook as soon as I finished the previoust Jeff Resnick mystery. I did enjoy it again, but have given it 3 stars instead of four as it ended so suddenly it came as a bit of a shock. Still has me buying more in the series, so I must be enjoying them.

Cheated By Death (The Jeff Resnick Mysteries Book 3)
Cheated By Death (The Jeff Resnick Mysteries Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspend belief and enjoy, 30 Nov 2013
I found this book a little difficult to get into - it starts with a mugging and quickly goes on to a murder mystery where Jeff discovers that he can read people's strong emotions. Life is made easier for him by being taken home by his very wealthy doctor brother - I do sometimes get a bit fed up of books which 'throw money' at problems to help solve day to day living. Having said that, I enjoyed the book and bought the second in the series as soon as I finished it. Wanted to see what happened to the main players, Jeff, his brother and their partners.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A wife's nightmare, 30 Nov 2013
This book goes to show that if you read something you probably shouldn't you have to live with the consequences. I did enjoy the book, the storyline was good and even though there were a number of characters, it became easy enough to sort them all out and remember who was whom. Without giving too much away, I felt that the ending was a little too 'pulled together', but once I realised where everything (everyone) was going, it was difficult to work out another ending which just wouldn't be too bleak. I would recommend the book as a 'good read'. I read it on a nine hour flight to the West coast of America and it took my mind off the seat width!

The Living Dead
The Living Dead

2.0 out of 5 stars Put aside - life is too short, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Living Dead (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book as sometimes I like to delve into the darker side of writing and saw some names listed which seemed interesting. To be honest I have only scratched the surface as the short stories, so far, were difficult to get into and certainly didn't catch my attention. So - I have put it aside to come back to later when I run out of something to read - then I will just read the authors I recognise. It's not a book I would recommend, but to be fair it isn't really my favourite genre.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4