Profile for C. Trickett > Reviews

Content by C. Trickett

C. Trickett "Chris" (Kazakhstan)

Martin Pippin in the Apple Orchard
Martin Pippin in the Apple Orchard

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 31 Aug. 2012
I acquired this book randomly from Amazon, it being a free download, and in truth wasn't expecting much from it. The name itself is hardly that which may endear it to many, not least those of my usual tastes. But then I read it, quite forgetting anything about my own actual life in the process. I lost myself like never before in this amazing story which may not have deep social significance nor the power to change the world, but who cares? It is absolutely the BEST book I've ever read, a magical tale of a travelling singer in a bygone age who by means of six equally magical fairy tales convinces six girls to rethink their commitment to their maidenhead and men-free existence. This is a lost world, but one which comes back to life in the pages of this book. As a writer myself I have started reading more widely to gain ideas and inspiration, recently having experienced the imagination of Neil Gaiman, the coherent prose of JD Salinger and the originality of Iain Banks. But exceeding every single one of them in every department is Eleanor Farjeon who with this book has created a masterpiece of literature. It doesn't say enough to be regarded as a classic, but in its own delicate way is very much that. When I write my own adventure and am asked what inspired me, I will not neglect to mention this book.

Supergeek (Billy Ingham)
Supergeek (Billy Ingham)
by Peter Ardern

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Ingham, does what it says on the tin, 17 Sept. 2009
I greatly look forward to reading more Billy Ingham stories. I read the original two with unprecedented excitement, became a part of the adventures and sorely missed my new friend when I had finished each book. These tales are magic, they take you on a journey into a comfortable but exciting world in which simple storylines and believable characters bring the plot to life. I can only wish I had read more, it may give more substance to my claim that these are the best books I've ever read. Take a bow, Peter Ardern, may your talent breathe life into Billy's restless youth for many years to come.

Siemens SF65 - O2 - Pay as You Go Mobile Phone - Black
Siemens SF65 - O2 - Pay as You Go Mobile Phone - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, OK phone, 5 Feb. 2006
I bought this phone in England and moved to Italy with it. It's not on sale here, so mine's quite a novelty with my friends, although this for one reason alone, the swivel camera. The phone as such is OK, a bit too quiet for some calls and sometimes despite being on full volume I don't hear it when it rings. Add to this the fact that it doesn't have some basic functions, stopwatch, option to assign different ringtones to different people (unless it's just that I haven't found it) and to be honest I wouldn't recommend it if it were just a phone. However, the digital camera is really quite something. When downloaded, the photos (of which you can store about 100, or 900 using a lower resolution) are excellent quality. It has a zoom function, flash, 1.3 megapixels and more features than I have had time to understand, let alone use.
The most attractive feature of the Siemens SF65 is not the camera as such, but the design of the camera which gives you the feel of using an actual camera instead of taking photos on your phone.
If you are more phone-oriented and see your camera as a bonus then this may not be the model for you, but if you want a reliable, stylish phone with an excellent camera, then check this model out, it is well worth the money (depending on what you pay of course).

Christmas Album
Christmas Album
Offered by Rock Hopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, 3 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Christmas Album (Audio CD)
Armed with the open-minded realisation that they've earned the right to express themselves musically in any way they want, I left aside the selfish yearning for them to recreate the classic sounds of the 60s, 70s and to a lesser extent the 80s and 90s, and began to appreciate this CD for what it is. A wonderful expression of joy, fun and above all, a celebration of music. The mood is uplifting, the musicianship inspirational, and once again some of the new tracks (e.g. First Snow on Brooklyn) prove that Ian is far from a spent force. The Christmas Album is as welcome in my collection as all their other stuff.