Profile for A John > Reviews

Content by A John
Top Reviewer Ranking: 840

A John (Uk)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 22 Feb 2014
I absolutely love this! The colour changes with temperature. When its cold, my nails go purple, and when they are warm, they go bright blue. There are also gradients - so I've had days when my nails were blue with a purple edge.

NailStar™ 36 Watt Professional UV Shellac Gel Nail Lamp Dryer + 4 x 9W Bulbs Included and 120 Second Timer
Offered by The Body Source

5.0 out of 5 stars Works!, 22 Feb 2014
I really like this. It is very straightforward to use. Plug in, switch on at the back. This puts on the UV lights. The tray slides out, to make it easier to get your hand in. I use it for drying shellac, and it always does a good job.

AmazonBasics 67-Inch Monopod
AmazonBasics 67-Inch Monopod

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but tripods better, 22 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a monopod. There is a wrist strap, a carrying bag, a screw top to fit into the base of a camera, and a pointed end with a pad which will wind down to give a pad base for indoor work. The handle also has foam for a good grip.

I took this with me a on a daytime tour round the normally hidden parts of a stately home. I was hoping to take some slow shutter speed shots, to create a "ghost" effect. But for the effect to work, it was crucial that the background remained sharp and in focus. I wound down the pad - which meant there was no scratching on polished floors. A larger pad would have been handy. At 5 seconds open shutter I was unable to prevent wobble. At 3 seconds I could prevent the wobble on some shots - and so did manage to get one or two decent ones in.

This is lighter than a tripod, for obvious reasons. But it as three extensions, so will open out to a long length. I found that, once screwed on to the camera, I was able to carry both, with one hand on the camera and one on the monopod. I liked that, it was useful when walking round on a tour. Its also quicker to open out one foot than three! That said, I do prefer the tripod, as I struggled to get the shots I wanted. I would consider it for a tour scenario - but if going to photograph a specific thing, I think I'd stick to the full tripod.

Weetabix Oatiflakes with Fruit 475 g (Pack of 5)
Weetabix Oatiflakes with Fruit 475 g (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty cereal, 8 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a cereal of oat flakes with raisins and sultanas. Its billed as a healthy breakfast cereal; oats seemingly help prevent cholesterol from clogging up arteries. The cereal has also been fortified with iron, folic acid, and some of the vitamin B's, most notably vitamin B12. The box states this equates to 24% of the recommended daily amount in one 40g serving. It is low in salt, and although I couldn't identify any added sugar, the nutritional value list indicated that there was 10g in a serving (around 11% of the recommended daily amount). If you are concerned about allergies or intolerances, it does contain sulphites, as a preservative for the raisins.

I did find this tasty. There is a malty aftertaste, which I really like.

Red Rising (The Red Rising Trilogy)
Red Rising (The Red Rising Trilogy)
by Pierce Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 4 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the story of Darrow - born into a world where his caste are slaves in a complex hierarchy. He is saved from death to fight to break the chains, to fight by entering an academy where to win is the goal - and not winning could mean death.

The book works hard at being innovative and exciting, but I found it a bit predictable. It is, in some ways, like the Hunger Games, and once it got into "the game", I began to lose interest. Darrow is a well constructed character, but at times with the petulance of Anakin Skywalker in the third Star Wars film, and I find that irritating.

It is a decent book - and would appeal to teenagers.

The Lord Of The Rings - Mug - Frodo Baggins
The Lord Of The Rings - Mug - Frodo Baggins
Offered by Elbenwald

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mug, 28 Jan 2014
This is a good quality mug, which was a very popular present for my daughter. Its well made, and the graphics look very good.

How To Eat Fried Worms
How To Eat Fried Worms
by Thomas Rockwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: How To Eat Fried Worms (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Billy has accepted a bet to eat 15 worms in 15 days, and even he's not sure he can do it. The others are determined to stop him. This is a great book for Key Stage 1 kids. My 10 year old loved it, it just appeals to their sense of humour.

I would highly recommend this, particularly for boys.

Tibetan silver elephant earrings with sterling silver hooks in organza bag
Tibetan silver elephant earrings with sterling silver hooks in organza bag
Offered by Makeitwithbeads

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 26 Jan 2014
These are quite small silver elephants earrings. While they are "drop" earrings, the drop is small, and therefore they work quite well for a teenager who hasn't had their ears pierced that long. The design is simple, but effective.

Shellac - Cosmos. NEW COLOUR CHANGING! UV Gel Nail Polish by Bluesky 10ml
Shellac - Cosmos. NEW COLOUR CHANGING! UV Gel Nail Polish by Bluesky 10ml
Offered by Tips And Toez

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, 26 Jan 2014
This is shellac nail varnish (so a UV lamp is needed to dry it, plus base coat and top coat). I love the colours. When my hands are warm, they are a bright sky blue. But as soon as I go outside in this lovely winter weather.... my nails are deep purple. And yes, its quite funny being sat in a room with a bit of a draught, where either the ends of my nails go purple, or I end up with a couple of purple fingers and a couple of blue ones...

Both colours are lovely. The varnish itself is a bit thicker than non colour changing. I only needed one coat, as opposed to the usual two. But I'd definitely get this again.

Tacwise HD-73 73/12mm Heavy Duty Plier Bundle Staples (5 Boxes of 5000)
Tacwise HD-73 73/12mm Heavy Duty Plier Bundle Staples (5 Boxes of 5000)

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but needs strength, 26 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I need a stapler that will staple large numbers of sheets of paper together. I produce reports up to 50 pages long - which at present, I can't staple together. So I was keen to try this. And it does staple that many. In fact, it has worked on up to 67 sheets at a time. The staples themselves are strong and robust - they'd be great for cardboard. But it takes strength to do that. And here comes the down side. This is a hand stapler. There is no flat part to lay it down and push against a desk. My hands just aren't that strong, generally, so I'm wasting staples as I struggle to get the stapler to work effectively on the large numbers I need. That said, with just a bit more strength than me - this would definitely be the tool of choice.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30