Profile for A John > Reviews

Content by A John
Top Reviewer Ranking: 780

A John (Uk)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ferplast Predator Cat Toy, Orange
Ferplast Predator Cat Toy, Orange

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun toy for cats, 25 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a toy for cats. There is a central piece (in blue plastic), a 'tail' and a yellow cape. The tail has a groove, and slots onto the main central piece. The cats can pull this off if they bite and yank, which is a bit unfortunate. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does, it is irritating. The yellow cape has a hole which enables it to be fitted over the central piece. That isn't easy to do - but if it isn't fully in place, it slides off when the cats are playing. Strength is a benefit here.

Once set up, this is very amusing for the cats. There are four speed settings, slow, medium, fast and random. My cats haven't taken their eyes off it for 40 minutes. They watch, they pounce, and then the back off again. (I've had to put the tail back on twice though, although hoping now I've pushed it on a bit more firmly, that it will stay).

To work, this takes 3 AA batteries (small phillips screwdriver required to put these in place).

This is clearly fun for cats. They do enjoy it. Cats are predatory animals, so this toy, mimicking a small animal of some kind, is one they enjoy.

Shellac Nails by Bluesky Purple Sheen Shellac Gel 10ml
Shellac Nails by Bluesky Purple Sheen Shellac Gel 10ml
Offered by Just Beauty UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colour, 25 April 2015
This is a great colour, a purple with a touch of duskiness, that lends itself well to matching with a number of outfits. I found it went on well, and 2 weeks later, there has been no chipping, nor is it showing signs of any nail coming off as yet. I'm really impressed with this one.

Cleansui GP001 Guzzini Design Water Filter Jug - Blue
Cleansui GP001 Guzzini Design Water Filter Jug - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 25 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a carbon filter water jug, where the filter lasts for four weeks. It was a bit fiddly to set up the first time, the cylindrical filter has to be pushed into the slot, and then the larger filter section needs to be rinsed, the plastic covers removed and then soaked, before putting into the jug. The water is then poured on top, and takes time to filter down, particularly when new. That said, once it has, the water does taste good and clean.

When full, the jug is relatively heavy - so someone elderly may struggle. But it pours very well; the pouring can be a problem with some jugs, so I was relieved that this one poured so well, with good control.

I would recommend this. I like the fact that once up and running - you don't need to change anything for four weeks. There is also a handy button on the top which you can press to remind you how long it is before the filter needs changing.

Boxfresh Sparko, Men Low-Top Sneakers, Black (Black), 7 UK (41 EU)
Boxfresh Sparko, Men Low-Top Sneakers, Black (Black), 7 UK (41 EU)
Offered by Surfdome

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice shoes, 25 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These may be mens, but they were for my daughter, and fit perfectly, giving much better clearance around her toes than most shoes. They are comfortable, with no rubbing on the foot and look good. My daughter has been wearing them to walk around today with no "new shoe' issues - her feet were comfortable the entire time. The only downside from our point of view are the laces, which are square, and seem to look like leather. They are difficult to tie up and manipulate - we may end up changing the laces. Apart from that - we love these trainers.

Ferplast Typhon Cat Toy, White
Ferplast Typhon Cat Toy, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous toy, 21 April 2015
Oh my cats love this!

This is a cat toy. It comes, a bit like a plastic train set, in pieces. You link the track, using the green clips to fix the joins. Its remarkably easy. There are also soft plastic feet to fit into holes on the underside (so it doesn't scratch a wooden floor). Finally, take the tag out of the blue ball, and set it on its merry way. My three cats have been happily chasing it round for an hour now. When pushed quickly, the ball lights up, which adds to the excitement for them. They can't get the ball out of the track, as it is shaped at the top to be slightly narrower. In the true spirit of train sets, I'm half tempted to get another one to see if I can build a more complex structure...

I would highly recommend this. It seems the most robust design of a toy like this I've come across so far, and the figure 8 design gives greater interest than those which are just a circle. I also love the fact that I don't have to worry about the floor getting scratched...

Adventures in Minecraft
Adventures in Minecraft
by David Whale

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 20 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My 11 year old is a big Minecraft fan. So firstly, this is what he had to say about this book:
"First thing you should know, is this is not much a minecraft book. Its more a coding with python book, with a very thick layer of minecraft paint. This is fine, as the book is very well written, as it engages you in a book without much a story. This book teaches you how to code with python, and make minecraft addons for servers with python. And it does so suprisingly well. This does deserve to be on the shelf of minecraft fans, with a definate seal of approval."
That is a real glowing review from him! It is great to see books like this which are encouraging kids to learn to code. The book uses python - the coding language taught in my sons secondary school - so I'm delighted that this uses the same language. You can use this with a microsoft or apple computer - but it is designed for use with a Raspberry Pi. And its almost enough incentive for me to buy my son a Raspberry Pi, to see what he makes of the building process as well.

I would highly recommend this. Its a really engaging, well written book - and it created quite a bit of excitement with my son!

Maclaren Hand Sanitizer
Maclaren Hand Sanitizer

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 19 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is useful to have sanitisers available, to ensure clean hands, particularly before eating.This is a lavender scented version. When first used, the aroma is a little overpowering, but settles within a couple of minutes to a more gentle lavender smell. Given that this is made by Maclaren, I'm guessing that its aimed at the parent with baby market - and ensuring hands are properly cleaned after nappy changing is always a concern.

One note - the gel doesn't taste good. In fact it really doesn't taste nice at all. Why did I check? Because trying to eat anything with your hands after washing them with alcohol gel is a mistake. Whatever you try and eat will taste awful. This isn't quite as bad - but eating with your hands after applying this is not recommended. It won't taste good. On that front, I wouldn't recommend cleaning a toddler's hands with this and then giving them finger food - you may be setting yourself up for a difficult meal.

But it is useful to have a hand sanitiser that fits so easily into a small bag - so on that front, I would recommend this.

Oxford Illustrated Shakespeare Dictionary
Oxford Illustrated Shakespeare Dictionary
by David Crystal

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 19 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love Shakespeare, but I'm aware that for many, the archaic language can in itself, present a challenge. Even for those who enjoy Shakespeare, occasionally a word can flummox, o'erset, or create brainish apprehension... and in such circumstances, a book like this can be of enormous use. The book is arranged as a dictionary, in alphabetical order. The centre pages also have some information and pictures in relation to armour, weapons, clothing, hats, animals, colours, occupations, ships, recreation, music etc... to help aid understanding of the world in which the plays are written. There is also guidance on pronunciation and grammar. In all, the book references 4000 words, taken from Hamlet, Henry V, Julius Caesar, King Lear, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Merchant of Venice, Much Ado about Nothing, Othello, Romeo and Juliet, The Tempest and Twelfth Night. As such, it is likely to cover those addressed in secondary education.

This is a useful book, and one which would be of enormous value to those trying to get to grips with Shakespeare, either in English Literature, Language or Drama. The book doesn't only look at words, but also names. Shakespeare often referenced Greek heroes or heroines, who would have been known at the time, but are not familiar to today's students. These appear in alphabetical order, alongside the words.

I would recommend this. Its a great way to better understand the plays; both what was meant at the time of writing, and what may have been inferred by the audience.

Apexel 180 Degree Fish Eye Lens + Wide Angle Lens + Micro Lens Kit for iPhone 4 4S 4G 5 5G 5S 5C 6 Plus Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 S3 I9300 S4 I9500 S5 S6 Note I9220 Note2 N7100 Note3 Note 4 mini i8190 S7562 HTC LG Black (No Dark Circle by the Fisheye Lens)
Offered by Tech Leader

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 13 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This comes in a zip up carry case. There are two lenses, a macro and a fisheye. Each lens has a lens cap, and there is a plastic clip on piece. You slot the lens of choice into the plastic clip, then slide over the phone. You may need to move it around a little to ensure you get the focus first. Then just take the picture as normal. Its a great way of taking interesting pictures. I love the fisheye lens - when you focus in tightly on an object, it gives a lovely effect, as with the attached picture of my cat.

The only drawback is the plastic piece, I suspect that this will break - sliding the lens in is a really tight fit, and I'm not convinced that will last. It would be better if there were two, and you could simply leave them attached to the lens. But, I was genuinely impressed. Its a great way of experimenting with fish eye lenses and macro photography.

Highly recommended
Comment Comment | Permalink

A Practical Guide to Data Mining for Business and Industry: Case Studies and Methodology
by Andrea Ahlemeyer-Stubbe

4.0 out of 5 stars For users of SAS, 11 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We live in a world where more and more data is being collected and stored. It seems that everyone has an idea of what data they want; there is almost too much data. To make the data into useful knowledge, we need to first decide what we want to know, and then mine the data effectively for that. This book is aimed at those in business, to guide them through that process. However, although the introduction states that it is suitable for beginners, those without some basic knowledge of statistics or informatics will struggle. That said, the book is comprehensive, and useful. Its based on the use of SAS (Statistical Analysis System), a software suite developed by the Statistical Analysis System Institute. If your company doesn't have this, and has no plans or inclination to buy into it, then this wouldn't be the book for you. If you do use that, then this is very useful, giving a good guide on how to generate useful information from the data, to turn into knowledge which can then guide business decisions. I was particularly pleased to see the guidance on unique identifiers within data systems, and the information on checking processes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20