Profile for Mr. S. D. Coy > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. D. Coy

Mr. S. D. Coy (Cambridge)

T-Cut Colour Fast Scratch Remover 150gm - Blue
T-Cut Colour Fast Scratch Remover 150gm - Blue
Price: 6.10

1.0 out of 5 stars Scratch shower-uperer, 21 April 2014
Horrendous. I hade a scrape on the wing of my mid-blue coloured Fiat Punto. I used this, and now it shows up the scrape much more clearly than before. I think I'll have to try to wash it back out again. It looks ok when it first goes on, but it dries to a bright blue. Perhaps only use if you've got a very, very light scratch. It claims to improve the appearance of deeper scratches, but only if you've got a very bright-blue car, I guess.

Glengettie 80 Teabags (Pack of 6, Total 480 Teabags)
Glengettie 80 Teabags (Pack of 6, Total 480 Teabags)
Price: 13.14

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 12 Mar 2014
My father has this tea at home, so unfortunately this is what I get when I visit. I'm amazed at the positive reviews for this tea. To me it has very little flavour, and any flavour it does have is awful. It has colour, yes, lots of colour, but that doesn't necessarily equate to flavour. All I get when I drink it is no flavour when it is in the mouth, just a nasty aftertaste after I've swallowed. Not nice.

Panasonic RP-HJE120E-K Ergo Fit Ear Canal Headphones - Black
Panasonic RP-HJE120E-K Ergo Fit Ear Canal Headphones - Black
Offered by Price Grabber
Price: 8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap, 9 Feb 2014
I buy a cheap pair of headphones, just to plug into the computer when I'm watching YouTube and stuff. One of the phones stop working after about 3 weeks, but hey, they were only 2.99. You get what you pay for. I buy these, and after about 3 weeks one of the phones stops working. Enough said. Avoid.

Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (Xbox 360)
Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (Xbox 360)
Offered by FUN-N-MORE
Price: 29.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Pathetic, 26 Sep 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game hoping it might be like a rally simulation. I was wrong. It is a ridiculous, pathetic game, for children.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2012 2:34 PM GMT

Astonish Stain Remover Bar
Astonish Stain Remover Bar
Offered by CKONE
Price: 1.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonish dazzles., 12 Aug 2011
Yes, the pundits were right. This IS the stain remover to end all stain removers. Its abilities beggar belief and defy description.

Magimix Le Glacier 1.1 Ltr Ice Cream Maker (White)
Magimix Le Glacier 1.1 Ltr Ice Cream Maker (White)
Price: 39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Crap, 1 July 2011
This is complete crap. I managed to use it about 6 or 7 times before it developed a bad leak out of the bottom. Flimsy components, also. DON'T BUY. Or, at least, get it from a shop which gives you a guarantee so you can get a replacement when it starts to leak.

Piano
Piano

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 26 Jan 2010
This review is from: Piano (Audio CD)
These are live recordings from concerts given in Argentina by Martha Argerich when she was a young child. The Beethoven piano concerto no.1 was recorded at age eight (yes, eight), and the Schumann concerto at age eleven (not seven and ten as stated in the liner notes.)
The downside first: sound quality is poor. They were recorded from radio broadcasts onto acetates, (I think), and spent a few decades in the possession of the Argerich family, with a few copies circulating among piano music collectors and officianados, generating tantalising rumours concerning the scarcely-credible playing of Argerich to be found on them. I dreamt of hearing them and now they have been made available to the general public.
The performances are astonishing; with the Schumann, Argerich displays a technique and extraordinary musicianship which is almost unbelievable in an eleven year old child. She plays like a professional adult musician. The slow section in the first movement is touchingly beautiful, and she seems to have no technical problems at all in the cadenza. Of this recording Argerich has said: "It's a very distorted tape, but I was touched because, my God, pianistically it is absolutely amazing. I mean, I don't understand how I did those things." The Beethoven is as incredible, given that it was performed at age eight. I would say this CD is a document, really, which shows what genius can occasionally be produced by nature. This CD is well worth buying, despite the poor sound quality, especially if you are an Argerich devotee, or interested in the recorded history of piano playing.

Beethoven: Violin Concerto / Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 4 / Horrace Silver: Creepin In /Nigel Kennedy
Price: 7.29

4.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air.....?, 15 April 2008
Er...that cadenza. I love it. It's awesome. It's fresh, it's different, it has absolutely nothing to do with Mozart, but I love it. It's otherworldly. You're listening to Mozart, then you're in a different universe, then you find yourself listening to Mozart again. It makes me think Nigel Kennedy should write his own Violin Concerto, and perform it himself. I'm not sure what the purists, or 'cognoscenti' will think of it, but there are plenty of other 'straight' performances of these pieces. This is a breath of fresh air, I think.

Puccini: La boheme
Puccini: La boheme
Price: 24.08

1.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Boheme, 5 Nov 2004
This review is from: Puccini: La boheme (Audio CD)
Yes, the pundits were right: this is the Boheme to end all Bohemes - a performance of such virtuosity, such dazzling technical aplomb as to beggar belief and defy description. It demonstrates Bocelli's worthiness to stand alongside Russell Watson as one of the world's greatest tenors.
I heard part of this recording on Radio 3, when the reviewers were doing their best to be polite about it. When I heard Bocelli croaking his way through 'Che gelida manina' I could hardly believe my ears. It amazes me that people can listen to this and not notice that there's something seriously amiss.
In my personal, subjective opinion, the Tebaldi/Bergonzi/Serafin recording is the one to go for, regardless of whether you are new to opera or not. Please don't buy this recording. Those of us who 'knock' poor 'Andrea' don't do it out of a personal vendetta but out of an altruistic compassion. Incredible as it may seem, it is possible to buy BOTH the De Los Angeles/Bjorling with Thomas Beecham AND the Tebaldi/Bergonzi/Serafin for less than the price of this recording. That's like buying two Ferraris for the price of a Skoda.