Profile for beth > Reviews

Content by beth

beth "beth9112" (Galloway, Scotland)

Sir Lucas and the Moon
Sir Lucas and the Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 4 April 2014
As I've followed Zoe's career and been a fan of her music for a while now, I thought I knew what to expect in this album: her usual beautiful voice, haunting melodies and plenty of ukulele. What I didn't expect, from a 16 year old songwriter, was such mature, poetic and evocative lyrics. Her songs are far from formulaic, typical love songs. There's "Lucas", a sweet song about her ukulele; "Butterflies" which starts off as a happy sunny summer love song but packs a twist at the end that will shatter your heart; "Nobody Knows", about a woman coming to terms with an absent mother, and my personal favourite, "Winter Song" which captures beautifully the mood of a dark cold winter and the hope of spring ("You know, winter comes and goes, you know when it goes comes the sun").

Wonderful lyrics, beautiful music and singing, if I could give this 6 stars, I would!

Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom
Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 17 Nov. 2013
I was lucky enough to meet Ken at the Wigtown Book Festival and was hugely inspired by his talk there. I found his book equally inspiring: it genuinely made me laugh out loud in several places, and I shed a tear at the end too. Well written, it stands up simply as a good story in it's own right; but if you're interested in simple living, and questioning the treadmill of soul deadening office jobs to pay for your mcmansion, you will also find it thought provoking and possibly even life changing. "I am convinced both by faith and experience, that to maintain one's self on this earth is not a hardship but a pastime, if we will live simply and wisely" said Thoreau, and Ken proves him right.