Profile for Mr. R. N. Lock > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. N. Lock

Mr. R. N. Lock "Ricky Lock" (bexley, kent United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2
The Canal
The Canal
by Lee Rourke

3.0 out of 5 stars Different & Creative, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Canal (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Canal is different and challenging in a positive way. I thought Lee Rouke evoked clear visual scenes that played out to your imagination really well. To explain where this book goes is difficult, for me it is an observation, creative thought provoking book. The book challenges boredom in an unusual way, leading you to the premise that boredom has gifts if you embrace it and notice. I could identify with the local community he talked about in the book; the good, bad, beautiful and the ugly. My only gripe would be I felt it needed a defining surprise to liven it up and give some polarity to the theme running through the book. This book is well worth reading though - it's a clever book.

Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: v. 4 (BBC Audio)
Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: v. 4 (BBC Audio)
by Bert Coules
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Entertainment, 28 Sep 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This audio version of Sherlock Holmes is wonderfully entertaining. I have read all of the original Conan Doyle stories and Bert Coules has written three very good adaptations in the style of Conan Doyle. The characters are colourful and the plots keep you guessing. My favourite was The Remarkable Performance of Mr Frederick Merridew, but I really enjoyed them all - they all have the mark of Conan Doyle throughout the plot. The sound was crisp and clear and it really kept the atmosphere of the time going throughout all the three stories. There was also some wonderful backdrops of sound, that also helped with the atmosphere. I definitely would recommend this collection "Great Stuff".

Alone in Berlin (Penguin Modern Classics)
Alone in Berlin (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Geoff Wilkes

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful insightful thriller / educational read, 30 Mar 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great read and a wonderful character driven plot. There are two main characters each on different sides of the fence, which generates a cat and mouse game throughout. The story takes you to a time that was oppressive and dark, where tension was a normal way of life. Hans Ballade writing is authentic and wonderful, and keeps you wanting to know how it will all end for the characters involved. This great novel captures the Nazi regime brilliantly and will evoke many emotions while you are reading the story. What I loved is the characters are normal people in an extraordinary situation, where they all have to make decisions what way to go and all knowing they can't trust anyone in the process.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (International Writers)
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (International Writers)
by Patrick Suskind

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique story from a master, 31 Jan 2010
This is a dark tale of murder and obsession told in an amazing way. It focuses on a depraved but brilliant anti-hero refined sense of smell, moving through his life to find the perfect women that will complete him. It is a totally unique story and the descriptive brilliance of Patrick Suskind is astounding - he finds word to describe the indescribable. This book is a master stroke of work.

In the Dark
In the Dark
by Deborah Moggach

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful piece of writing, 31 Jan 2010
This review is from: In the Dark (Hardcover)
In this book Deborah Moggach has written a wonderful character driven story, its wonderful descriptive writing and keeps you intrigued throughout. It's touching, funny and saucy in parts and has some great twists to the story. This is the first book I have read of Deborah Moggach and I will definitely be reading more in the future. It's a master class in writing.

How to be Happier: Teach Yourself
How to be Happier: Teach Yourself
by Paul Jenner

2.0 out of 5 stars jumbled and not authentic enough, 30 Jan 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted to like this book - clear positive title "how to be happier" with a big smiley face on the cover. What I found was I was irritated reading it - It felt jumbled and messy with too many headings. I felt it could have been less than half the size and with some thought-out structure. I was left feeling the book wanted you to deny your feelings with other thoughts to take their place, rather than realising we all have some negative thoughts sometimes and by accepting them we could learn to transform them with integration of our potential with more understanding and without judgement. This book just didn't feel authentic enough for me. I am not saying there wasn't any good stuff in this book, what I felt was it needed a reality check and better format with less titles.

The Kites Are Flying!
The Kites Are Flying!
by Michael Morpurgo

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice story but could have been something special, 1 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Kites Are Flying! (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was looking forward to reading this story after reading War Horse and Private Peaceful which I thought were both wonderful. I know The kites Are Flying was maybe aimed at a younger audience, but I felt this book didn't hit the mark with enough impact and imagination. The illustrations were nice and I was left feeling there was a great opportunity missed to say something really important and leave you with a real sense of hope and urgency for a change in this desperate situation in Palestine. The story had some nice moments with good intentions, but for me it lacked that special something, which his other books had. To finish I will say any book that looks for hope in this subject matter will always be a good idea.

Breath
Breath
by Tim Winton

4.0 out of 5 stars Exhilarating experience - "Wonderful", 13 Sep 2009
This review is from: Breath (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read this book on holiday and couldn't put it down. It looks at friendships; through all the highs and lows of life's experiences. The description around the surfing experiences Pikelet and Loonie had were breathtaking - amazing descriptive writing. You felt like you were riding the waves with them throughout, and at times I was totally engrossed and time seemed to slow down with them. Tim Winton is an excellent writer with creativity and imagination flowing from page to page. I loved the fact both Pikelet and Loonie wanted to move beyond the ordinary and push themselves to their limits, taking us along with them on their exhilarating ride. I would have given this book 5 stars, but felt the last part was slightly rushed and the relationship between Pikelet and Eva could have been a bit more moving, grounded and realistic in its entirety. I recommend anyone to give this book ago; it has beauty, energy, wisdom and won't easily be forgotten. "Wonderful"

The Harrowing
The Harrowing
by Robert Dinsdale

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 30 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Harrowing (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This story is about two brothers very different in their personalities, it touches into courage and cowardice and many other facets of the human personality. Robert Dinsdale has produced a wonderful novel, full of pace and feeling. The world war one scenes gives you a sense you are there with them, experiencing the horror and realism of Flanders. I loved the small details about the soldiers, which brought them to life and gave them their own different personalities through their individual struggles. For a first novel this is amazing, the writing is wonderful and pulls you into a great insightful story. I highly recommend this novel.

Wetlands
Wetlands
by Charlotte Roche

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 May 2009
This review is from: Wetlands (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After hearing all the hype around this book, I found this book sadly disappointing. It seemed to try and shock you for shock sake, rather than be creative with its intention. It took me ages to read it; due to the fact I didn't feel the urge to pick it up and wade my way through it any more. I would like to be more creative in this review, but I am left feeling quite flat. When I read a lot of German people passed out reading this book, maybe it was the "boredom factor" and they actually fell asleep. I am afraid to say - it didn't wet my lands, I was left feeling quite parched.

Page: 1 | 2