Profile for L. Davidson > Reviews

Content by L. Davidson

L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Begin Again [DVD] [2014]
Begin Again [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost Stars, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Begin Again [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
"Begin Again" is a fairly warm hearted film about a platonic friendship between a down on his luck New York record producer (Mark Ruffalo) and a young British female singer songwriter (Kiera Knightly)who has just been dumped by her boyfriend, who is also a singer. They meet up one evening in a bar and Ruffalo persuades her to record an album with him recorded outdoors in various unusual New York settings. The producer is significantly older than the singer and the pair of them rub off on each other in a positive and inspirational way. Kiera Knightly is very good and the music is decent enough also. Will the two be able to forge a romantic , inter generational relationship or will they get back together with their respective exes ? "Begin Again" is a nice story , highlighting the positive ,life enhancing attributes of music and most of the characters are likeable. However I thought the large amount of swearing in the film didn't do it any favours and was unnecessary.

Death of a Naturalist
Death of a Naturalist
by Seamus Heaney

3.0 out of 5 stars A Rural Childhood, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Death of a Naturalist (Paperback)
I am a bit of a philistine when it comes to poetry. I don't really "get" it and I don't understand a lot of it. I recently read an anthology of Ted Hughes poems and I thought most of it was incomprehensible gibberish. "Death of a Naturalist" is a lot easier to get into than that book. Most of the poems are about the poets rustic upbringing and they are fairly comprehensible .I recall studying a number of them for my English Literature GCE "O" Level in the early 1980's , such as "Digging", "Follower" , "Docker" and "Death of a Naturalist". However I can't say that I really enjoyed reading these poems but I'll persevere with my poetry reading anyhow.

Under The Skin
Under The Skin
by Michel Faber

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this World, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Under The Skin (Paperback)
I read "Under the Skin" fairly quickly over the course of a long weekend. It really is a gripping , page turner that is hard to put down. I don't want to spoil the plot too much , but the book is about a solitary young woman,Isserley, who spends her days driving around the Scottish Highlands searching for lone , well built ,male hitchhikers . Initially the reader thinks that this is for some sort of perverted sexual gratification , but this is not the case. The reason for her obsession leads us into the realm of science fiction and horror and as the story unfolds we are drawn deeper into an unearthly ,unbelievable landscape . "Under the Skin" is unremittingly strange and original. It is very well written and the characterisation of Isserley is quite superb. The reader empathises with her plight , despite feeling revulsion for her liaisons with "vodsels". Needless to say, this book will put you off the idea of hitchhiking or giving a hitcher a ride for life ! Very impressive stuff and I look forward to watching the film of this novel very soon.

August: Osage County [DVD]
August: Osage County [DVD]
Dvd ~ Abigail Breslin

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong, Obnoxious Women, 14 July 2014
This review is from: August: Osage County [DVD] (DVD)
I wanted to see this film on the big screen as it was nominated for a number of Academy Awards , but it came and went before I had a chance to watch it. I finally got to watch it on DVD though and while I wouldn't say it was worth the wait , it certainly made for interesting viewing. A bereavement sees the reunion of an estranged family, made up of an ignorant mouthpiece of a matriarch, played by Meryl Streep, her equally rude and mean spirited sister plus Streep's three daughters, one of whom ,played by a nasty looking Julia Roberts, was just as hard and unlovable as her mother. The film follows the family over the course of the days following the funeral and we see a number of hard-to-watch personality clashes as various women seek to impose their deranged authority over the others. Family secrets emerge as it becomes clear that Streep's daughters ,in their own ways , are all just as dysfunctional as her. The film is slow moving but boils up to an absorbing finale. I would have given this film a higher rating if I had actually liked some of the main characters , but I could feel no empathy for them apart from ,perhaps, the long suffering Ivy and Little Charlie.

Transformers: Age of Extinction [DVD] [2014]
Transformers: Age of Extinction [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Mark Wahlberg

1.0 out of 5 stars Mindless Action Movie, 13 July 2014
I didn't want to watch this film, but my teenage son did , so off we trotted to the local Omniplex. This film was truly awful. Three hours of mindless destruction , lots of noise ,explosions and chasing around. Just when I thought it was finally over , along would come another half hour of mind numbing action. If this film was about half as long it mighnt have been so bad , but it just went on and on. The plot wasn't particularly interesting , the characters were all cliched and the acting and dialogue wasn't very impressive. Should have went for a nature walk in the countryside instead !

Ted Hughes (Poet to Poet)
Ted Hughes (Poet to Poet)
by Ted Hughes

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomprehensible, 10 July 2014
I studied English Literature up to GCE O Level in the 1980's but I could never really get into poetry. Many years later and a passing whim led me to buy this book of poems by the famous, relatively modern English poet , Ted Hughes. However I didn't enjoy reading them. I found them all to be mostly incomprehensible and my impression of them was that they were mostly nonsense and gibberish. I am a bit of a philistine regarding poetry , but I might have liked this anthology more had there been some kind of explanation to each poem provided in this book. Many of the poems are about nature , but a lot of them are just about random, incongruous stuff that made no sense to me. This bad experience with poetry wont put me off though. I've already purchased "Death of A Naturalist" by Seamus Heaney - more familiar verse which I remember studying at school.

Magritte
Magritte
by Marcel Paquet

3.0 out of 5 stars Dreamlike, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Magritte (Hardcover)
I have an interest in Art and I enjoy visiting art galleries when I'm on holiday. I have a number of these Taschen art books and I like them because of the high quality prints of the artists main works. This book on Magritte is no exception. Magritte painted mostly surrealist art and this book is full of his strange, absurd images. I found his art to be very in-your-face and perhaps not as subtle as Dalis ,for example. However , generally speaking , I'm not that fussed on the Surrealists anyway. What I didn't like about this book was the biographical narrative and the author's discussions about Magritte's paintings. Most of it went way over my head and I could understand very little of it. I got the impression that the author was perhaps reading too much into Magritte's art which ultimately ,it seems to me, was just about putting bizarre, incongruous and nonsensical images onto canvas.

An Englishman in Madrid
An Englishman in Madrid
by Eduardo Mendoza

4.0 out of 5 stars Art loving womaniser, 8 July 2014
Most of the novels that I read these days are historical novels, a genre that I enjoy. However I've read some poor ones lately centring on the 1956 Hungarian Uprising and the unravelling of the Austro-Hungarian Empire , but "An Englishman in Madrid" , based around the start of the Spanish Civil War, was reasonably impressive. The plot revolves around an English art expert who arrives in Madrid to value a Duke's art collection.However he ends up getting out of his depth as this enterprise leads him into danger once he becomes involved with the local fascists. His inability to keep it zipped up also leads him into various awkward and compromising situations with regards to the fairer sex. He has a predilection for both poor teenage prostitutes and equally young aristocratic women. His adventures also bring him to the attention of the Spanish authorities and the British embassy , not to mention Soviet agents. As the incipient Spanish Civil War draws closer , this story plunges the reader into the heart of the conspiracies and intrigues leading up to this conflict. Most of the characters are likeable and the book is decently enough written, given that it is translated from the original Spanish. There is a good storyline , with plenty of thrills and suspense and if you're into politics and history , you will appreciate the insights that the book provides into this interesting period.

Chef [DVD]
Chef [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Favreau

4.0 out of 5 stars Cubanos !, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Chef [DVD] (DVD)
"Chef" was an enjoyable , warm hearted film full of likeable characters. There's not so many movies you can say that about these days unfortunately. It tells the tale of an overweight,divorced chef who works in a gourmet restaurant and whose creativity is not allowed to flow in the kitchen by his boss. After some ill advised comments on Twitter , he loses his job and ends up buying a food van. He goes on a road trip from Miami to L.A. with his friend and his clever, adoring young son in tow, recovering his zest for cooking en route. Much of the film centres on the relationship between the chef and his son, with reconciliation with his ex wife still a possibility. The acting in this movie was very natural and of a high standard and "Chef" was a great "feelgood" film which passed an afternoon very pleasantly.

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie [DVD]
Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brendan O'Carroll

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, if you like that sort of thing, 29 Jun. 2014
I only went to see this movie because my teenage son pestered me to take him. I dont like "Mammie" and her family and their brand of Dublin proletarian humour and I dont like the constant swearing they engage in either. This overlong,stretched out,big screen spin off sees "Mammie" fight to save her street market from getting closed down by Russian backed investors with the help of her large family. If you're a fan of the TV show , then you'll enjoy this film, but if you're not susceptible to its dubious charms, then the two hours will drag in.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20