Profile for Mr. R. G. Battersby > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. G. Batt...

Mr. R. G. Battersby "Richard" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Hoya 77mm Circular Polarising Filter
Hoya 77mm Circular Polarising Filter
Offered by WestBase Direct - UK Registered Company. VAT receipt included

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 5 Mar. 2011
Hoya are a good brand and this item is consistent with their other lines. It's of reasonable build quality and produces a nice polarising effect. I find the outer ring spins round a little too easily. Also, as someone else has mentioned, it's not great with the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens since at 10mm it produces substantial vignetting. I too have upgraded after for this reason alone. It was great while I was starting out but you get what you pay for. It also, over time, seemed to develop tiny cracks in the glass, mainly around the edges which didn't produce any noticeable effect but they were still there. This must have been from the cutting process and rattling around in my bag since I never dropped it.

So, worth it if you're starting out and/or don't really anticipate your photography taking you anywhere. For those that do I recommend shelling out for a professional filter from the start. They last forever. In this case I would recommend the Hoya 77mm HD Digital PL-CIR Filter as they're thin, indestructable and very nice to work with. Any of the HD Digital range are fantastic.

William Armes Coir Boot Scraper, 35 x 30 cm
William Armes Coir Boot Scraper, 35 x 30 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 3 Mar. 2011
This is a product of good quality and hopefully the bristles will last some time. You need to stand on it at the same time as whiping one of your feet for the best effect. It will work well for most sizes of feet. I'm a size 10 and it's fine but much more and you may have problems, perhaps not. Probably best to open outside if you buy this as the bag it came in was ripped and bits went everywhere.

Would recommend.

ASRock P43DE Motherboard 1600Mhz DDR2 (4 Dimms) 1 PCI-E (x16) 6 SATA
ASRock P43DE Motherboard 1600Mhz DDR2 (4 Dimms) 1 PCI-E (x16) 6 SATA

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 3 Mar. 2011
I bought this board partly due to necessity. My Core 2 Duo died and my new Q9650 wasn't compatible with my EVGA 680i but there aren't many ATX boards out there with a decent feature set for socket 775, 6 SATA ports and is reasonbly priced. This has ticked most of the boxes. The high performance gaming boards for socket 775 aren't really available anymore but this one does a good job. The BIOS, whilst not the most intuitive, is quite complete with good settings available for tweaking the CPU and memory speeds so is a good choice if you want to overclock your system.

Installing was relatively easy, the layout is fairly standard and easy to figure out. My main issue with installation was the pins and solder spots on the reverse of the board which are around the CPU. They made installing my Titan Fenir heatsink a little tricky but with some supplied plastic washers all was well. This isn't an SLi board, which is a shame, not because I have another GPU that I want to use but because the place I have been forced to put my 275GTX in a place that doens't allow my 6th hard drive to sit behind the GPU. That's as much a fault with my case though.

There have been more issues with my wireless card but I'm convinced that is the fault of the PCI card not the slot itself. Finally on the fault front, a few seconds after I turn my system off I get a bang from my speakers that I didn't get with my last mobo but I haven't looked into this yet.

Not a lot more to say really. This is a great board at a great price and there's nothing major that would stop me buying another. I would definitely recommend it.

Stronghold: Crusader (PC)
Stronghold: Crusader (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Jun. 2010
This game is rather old now so the graphics look terrible by todays standards. That said, the gameplay is just brilliant and is really a perfect RTS game. This for me is the best game in the entire franchise (which I really wish they would update).

It is still worth buying so go for it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2011 11:09 AM BST

Netgear RangeMax WPN111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Netgear RangeMax WPN111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Offered by RN online

3.0 out of 5 stars Useable but that's about it, 15 Jun. 2010
I bought two of these at the same time to conncect two older laptops to a Netgear RangeMax router. They're fairly old products now and as such suffer from a variety of problems. Firslty they feel cheap and stick rather a lot from the USB ports since they're quite bulky. They do come with an extension cable and sticky velcro which helps with getting the best signal - still not ideal though. The Netgear software is truly terrible and has remained unchanged for what seems like decades. I would strongly suggest, as others here have, to pop the CD in and browse for the drivers themselves (though I would recommend going to the Netgear website to download the latest drivers). Through Device Manager install the drivers manually to avoid installing unnecessary software - Windows does a much better job of handling your WiFi connections than Netgear does, even on XP. With some initial connectivity issues and problems with Windows 7 x64 I am now up and running though speed and range are not the best.

You get what you pay for but unfortunately that priniciple makes this a little expensive. My advice would be to find another product.

Braun Oral-B EB18-2 ProBright Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads 2 Pack
Braun Oral-B EB18-2 ProBright Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads 2 Pack

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 26 May 2010
I have used these heads for over a year and it took some time for me to become unhappy with them. To start I was just using this head at night and then started using it in the morning too. While it did a decent job of buffing and polishing my teeth it didn't make them whiter and it didn't actually clean them properly. The bristles are only around the outside which, for me, did not give me a proper clean, especially in awkard areas and between my teeth. I actually managed to build up plaque, tartar and discolouration since I started using these heads! It took sometime for me to realise what the cause was and it wasn't until I swtiched to the Braun Oral-B EB25-4 FlossAction Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads 4 pack that I could see the fault was with the brush head and not my technique or routine etc.

I would highly recommend the FlossAction, and NOT these, though if you really want to try them then only use them once per day.

Braun Oral-B Oral Care Essentials Pack
Braun Oral-B Oral Care Essentials Pack

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price, 26 May 2010
I was lucky in that this pack came included when I bought my toothbrush. Having used it for a couple of years now I definitely wouldn't buy one.

Firstly, I find the price too expensive for what you get, though perhaps comparable to other toothbrush heads. Secondly, I find that the FlossAction head (not included) that I mainly use does the same job as the tongue scraper. The tongue scraper also doesn't fit in my carry case storage bit that is attached to my base. With regards to the interdental spike, I have yet to find a use for it. It is too soft to poke anything out of your teeth and not a brush so doesn't clean.

The interdental brush is very useful though and I like it for getting in between teeth on a regular basis. It doesn't replace flossing and since I now use the excellent FlossAction heads I use the interdental brush less but it's still very good for specific areas.

In conclusion, the pack is not worth buying if you regularly use the Braun Oral-B EB25-4 FlossAction Replacement Rechargeable Toothbrush Heads 4 pack. It might be worth buying for the interdental brush (this should really be sold separately) since it is genuinely useful but considering the cost of the pack it makes purchase prohibitive. Buy with caution.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2012 9:55 AM GMT

Canon Black Ink Cartridge (PGI-5BK)
Canon Black Ink Cartridge (PGI-5BK)
Offered by N E Lite

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Canon, 26 May 2010
As a photographer, image quality is paramount. These cartridges teamed with Canon paper reall do give superb print quality (dependent on you printer model). In my opinion and experience one has to buy genuine Canon original cartridges (and paper for photos) to get the best quality consistency and reliability. They're well made with minimal packaging and in-printer functions for testing, cleaning and aligning all work seemlessly. A nice novelty is the integration of LEDs into the cartridges which shows, with varying flashes, the level of ink inside them.

Yes, they're more expensive, though not by vast amaounts, but you're paying for the quality and if that's what's important to you then this is what you need to buy.

No Title Available