ARRAY(0xa845ea08)

Profile for Dr Tolstoyevsky > Reviews

Content by Dr Tolstoyevsky

Dr Tolstoyevsky "Dr Tolstoyevsky" (Pontypridd, Wales United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Citizen Sailors: The Royal Navy in the Second World War
Citizen Sailors: The Royal Navy in the Second World War
by Glyn Prysor

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Account, 7 Sep 2011
This is a fascinating account of the sailors who fought in WWII. Starting just before the Spanish Civil War the book chronicles the major naval battles of the Second World War, form the sailors' perspective. The writing is fresh, original and engaging. A great partner for Tim Clayton's Sea Wolves: The Extraordinary Story of Britain's WW2 Submarines.

Churchill
Churchill
by Ashley Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 9 Aug 2011
This review is from: Churchill (Hardcover)
Prof Jackson has managed to write a refreshing, entertaining and highly readable new biography about the great Winnie Churchill. The author addresses some of the common criticisms and misguided beliefs about Churchill, especially the unfounded opinions that Churchill was a warmonger and anti-working class. Although written objectively I could feel the passion and love of the man on every page. I would recommend this to anybody interested in learning about Churchill ahead of the bibliographies by Gilbert & Jenkins. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Beatlemania: The Real Story of The Beatles UK Tours
Beatlemania: The Real Story of The Beatles UK Tours
by Martin Creasy
Price: 13.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Read, 26 April 2011
I have read 100's of books about the Beatles (yes, literally 100's!). It surprised me therefore that this book provided me with many unknown snippets. There are no huge or monumental revelations in this book, but the little facts, insights and personal stories are fascinating. This book is a real treat, well written and a genuine contribution to Beatle literature.

Giraffe (Animal)
Giraffe (Animal)
by Edgar Williams
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, 27 Dec 2010
This review is from: Giraffe (Animal) (Paperback)
This is a truly fantastic book. I received it just in time for my Christmas holiday and read it with delight!
It explores the cultural, social and natural history of the giraffe, a remarkable animal. I never knew there was so much history associated with it. The style of the writing is accessible and it is easy to read. This is a must for all natural history buffs and animal lovers. A great addition to the 'Animal' series.

Dr O I Tolstoyevsky, University of Glamorgan, Wales.

Principles and practice of managing pain: A guide for nurses and allied health professionals
by Gareth Parsons
Price: 20.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 31 Oct 2010
This is an absolutely wonderful book! I could have done with it when I was working in the gulag. Back then, all we had in the way of pain relief was a wooden club and some un-tipped Russian cigarettes!
The genius of Preece & Parsons means that we now have an accessible, up-to-date and comprehensive textbook on pain. It should be required reading for all healthcare professionals. Indeed, I have purchased a copy for my great nephew - Ivan - who is currently studying for a BSc in Pain Management in Vladivostok.

Dr Oblomov I Tolstoyevsky - former head of the Soviet Socialist Society of Nociceptor Research - Moscow, Russia.

Signature Box
Signature Box
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 97.41

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh no, Ono, 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: Signature Box (Audio CD)
To be honest, I'd buy a bin liner if it had Lennon's name on it!
I have to say, however, that I feel somewhat cheated with this purchase. It DOES NOT come with a naked version of Double Fantasy, so I have just had to buy this separately. The box is lovely, but it's not worth 40. And I sat looking at the pull-out from the bottom trying to figure-out what it is. It then dawned on me that it's just a print...?
The music, of course, is great - but it's nothing I haven't already got.
There is SO much more that could have been included: a DVD documentary, rarer demos / out-takes etc.
Generally, I am more impressed with the Power to the People disc + DVD and the Gimme Some Truth set.

Still, it's Lennon and I will no doubt (sometime in the future) buy it all again, in another cardboard box with a special message written by his grandchildren!

Dr Oblomov I Tolstoyevsky.

International Disaster Nursing
International Disaster Nursing
by Robert Powers
Price: 69.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 21 July 2010
This is a great resource for all health professionals working in the field of disaster healthcare.

Molotov's Magic Lantern: A Journey in Russian History
Molotov's Magic Lantern: A Journey in Russian History
by Rachel Polonsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 April 2010
This is a fantastic read. It's more about books and scholars than Molotov, but fascinating nonetheless!
The first two chapters are about books and the characterizations of bibliophiles. The author then takes us on an original magical mystery tour of Russia.
This is an absolute must for those interested in Russian history.
Superb.

By Dr Oblomov Tolstoyevsky - from South Wales

We wish you a retro Christmas
We wish you a retro Christmas
by Stephen Greenfield
Price: 7.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Read, 16 Dec 2009
This is a very entertaining read. It explores some of the many enjoyable aspects of Christmas and will remind you of all your childhood fun.
A great stocking filler!

Paul McCartney: A Life
Paul McCartney: A Life
by Peter Ames Carlin

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually, a great read, 8 Nov 2009
This review is from: Paul McCartney: A Life (Hardcover)
You might think: what has anybody got to say about the great Macca that hasn't already been said?
Well, this book has nothing particularly new, but what the author has done is provide an emotional / psychological account of Paul. This gives the book a fresh and revealing feel, especially when it discusses Paul's relationship with John. I found this a really nice read and felt a little closer to the great musician once I'd finished it. You really get the feeling that Paul is nothing but a big softy...as well as being a genius, of course!!
One very curious thing I noticed: on the inside cover (next to copyright) it says that this book has been written by Paul McCartney and that Paul McCartney has asserted his moral rights as the author.....However, the book says (on the outside) that its author is Peter Ames Carlin? Why is this? Who really wrote this book????
A good read anyway!