Profile for J. Cooper > Reviews

Content by J. Cooper

J. Cooper "Jude" (Hove, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
My Familiar Stranger: An epic contemporary romance. (Knights of Black Swan Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Starts well - turns into total rubbish, 26 July 2013
The plot idea isn't bad regarding the heroine arriving in a parallel universe although the vampire items are never thought through enough. I wouldn't call this a vampire novel at all as they are very much on the back burner.
But what I really disliked is that the heroine goes from being a seemingly strong person to an utter fool. The book appears to be written by 2 people - in the first half Elora is strong and Storm is heroic, supportive and likeable whereas Ram is boorish, into one-night stands and fart jokes. With an unbelievable and jaw-dropping 180 degree turn-around Storm becomes whiny and Ram becomes chaste and committed. I skim-read to the end just to see if this ridiculous sham was maintained and found myself even more annoyed as Elora ends up pretty much barefoot and pregnant (an impossibility) with stars in her eyes regarding Ram.
I'm so glad it was free on the kindle - I would have felt ripped off if I'd paid any amount of money for this unreconstructed garbage.

Mercy Burns (Myth and Magic, Book 2)
Mercy Burns (Myth and Magic, Book 2)
by Keri Arthur

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok book - just very average for this author, 11 July 2013
After loving the Riley Jensen series I am getting very disillusioned with Keri Arthur. I am aware that publishers churned out her back catalogue but I thought the Dragon series were new. This book is OK but it's certainly no better than that and it is totally predictable. Why it's set in America I have no idea as that just feels like trying to get to a US audience - it has no feel of San Francisco for example. I'm feeling like it's time to say goodbye to Keri Arthur which is a shame...

The Book of Summers
The Book of Summers
by Emylia Hall

2.0 out of 5 stars Selfish, self-centred protagonist ruined the story, 2 April 2013
This review is from: The Book of Summers (Paperback)
I bought this after a brief visit to Hungary and was then massively disappointed. Although Devon, the Hungarian countryside and even Victoria Park in London are successfully evoked the Beth/Erzsi character effectively ruined the book. Right from the start when she sent her aged father straight back from London to Devon I knew that I wasn't impressed but she was then a selfish brat, a self-centred teenager and made a whole lot of people suffer for 16 years of her whinging adulthood. Well written but not a pleasant read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2013 12:02 PM BST

Insight Flexi Map: Budapest (Insight Flexi Maps)
Insight Flexi Map: Budapest (Insight Flexi Maps)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product for use in an unknown city, 16 Mar 2013
New item - flexible pastic - so useful in the snow and rain. Also lots of info on things to see.

The Two Week Wait
The Two Week Wait
by Sarah Rayner

3.0 out of 5 stars Really doesn't measure up to 'One moment, one morning', 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Two Week Wait (Paperback)
I had massively enjoyed reading the predecessor to The Two Week Wait and I had very high hopes for the sequel. Sadly, they were dashed as this book was just quite boring in comparison. I am happy to admit I wasn't overly interested in the subject matter of IVF and egg-sharing which was gone into in great depth, but even the characters seemed pale imitations of their former selves. Lou is the centre of this novel and perhaps because she was always the voice of reason and sense you really don't get any involvement emotionally with her. Anna, a great character from the previous book has one great scene with Sofia (the soon to be ex girlfriend of Lou) and then fades into the background; similarly Karen is just used as a vehicle to demonstrate parenting skills. Adam, the GP sperm donor has the potential to be interesting but you don't get his back-story at all. The new couple who are sharing Lou's egg donation, Rich and Cath, just seem like caricatures; he's somewhat slow on the uptake and she is totally manic. Looking for pluses the interface between the two women trying to get pregnant and their siblings/parents are the only interesting parts.
I stuck with it because it is set in Brighton & Hove but that wouldn't be enough to get me to buy a third volume without a huge dose of persuasion. I wouldn't even recommend the book to anyone who isn't going through or has been through pregnancy and fertility issues.

Fate's Edge
Fate's Edge
by Ilona Andrews
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars The Edge novels go from strength to strength, 7 Nov 2012
I am increasingly liking the Edge series of novels where the focus is on a star-crossed couple who end up achieving their heart's desires with each other. Having said that we are starting to see ongoing characters and character development which is what I really enjoy seeing. The premise behind the world that Ilona Andrews has created is incredibly complex - much more so than the Kate Daniels series - and that is to IA's credit. It was fun to read Kaldar's story after he was such an irritant in the preceding novel and great to see more of George, Jack and Gaston all of whom deserve to star in their own books.
This was in many ways a much more thoughtful novel - Bayou Moon was very, very violent to a degree that I found unpleasant and I am happy to see that IA does not have to resort to grisly scenes to make a successful book. I am now waiting with baited breath for Steel's Edge - luckily due out this month.

Bayou Moon (Edge)
Bayou Moon (Edge)
by Ilona Andrews
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars This series is really starting to grow on me!, 1 Nov 2012
Like many others I too had doubts as to whether the Ilona Andrews team should abandon Kate, Curran and the rest to set up a new series set in the Edge. I still don't quite get the Edge, the Weird and the Broken but it just doesn't matter as the stories are great. I love series and these are not per se a series as they each cover an individual couple and very much have a start and a conclusion (no bad thing). However, they do introduce recurrent characters which ties them together and lets you see how earlier protagonists are getting on in life.
As regards Bayou Moon I really enjoyed the swamp feel and enjoyed both Cerise and William - it is of course a much better read when the heroine really doesn't need protecting or saving but IA are managing to write incredible Paranormal Romance rather than Urban Fantasy. I also liked the Mirror and the Hand - both spy organisations where one is possibly slightly more acceptable as it doesn't fuse things to people to enhance them and also send them mad.
I'm very happy with how IA are developing the Edge and I will read more.

Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel)
Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel)
by Rachel Vincent

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like the 'world' created and the characters didn't appeal either!, 24 Sep 2012
How disappointing. I have loved RV's Shifters series and I have even managed the first 4 of the If I Die series but this has no appeal at all. For a start I cannot stand the Noble Sacrifice as a premise for a book - I ran away from our love to save you! Then again I didn't really care what happened to any of the heroes/heroines who were all characterised as manipulative liars - and that was their better character traits. The idea of the Skills that people had was an interesting concept for this world but the mafia type violence and aggression displayed by pretty much everyone was a complete turn-off. What a shame. I won't bother with the sequel as I see it is also based in the same setting and with the same group of friends.

Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville 10)
Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville 10)
by Carrie Vaughn

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitty back on top form!, 16 Aug 2012
The Kitty werewolf series must be one of the first urban fantasy ones I started to read as the original 'Kitty and the Midnight Hour' came out in 2005. 'Kitty Steals the Show' is her 10th outing and as you might expect there have been peaks and troughs along the way (Vegas Kitty - 'Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand' was more trough than peak for example). However, Kitty is now back to top form with the story arc regarding the Long Game and it's leader Roman. In this novel we find Kitty in London and I was more than pleased to see that Carrie Vaughn really gets the UK/London. Perhaps this is because she lived in the UK for a year, but it is most refreshing not to see the Dick Van Dyke version of cockney. In fact, CV goes one better providing the Shakespearean English actor Ned Alleyn as a key character and vampire (of course). The action all takes place at a conference - I've been to some pretty deadly conferences in my time but this one definitely takes the biscuit. Another high is Kitty's relationship with Ben which is as strong as ever (despite naughty were-Jaguars) and is now a key part of the novels - this of course goes to make Kitty's inability to have a child all the more poignant and CV covers this with great subtlety and sensitivity. If you like Kitty then I highly recommend that you read it - Kitty is back on track and definitely steals the show. Only downside is the horrible UK cover - so not Kitty but I wouldn't mark down the content for that.

Magick Weaved on a Samhain Eve
Magick Weaved on a Samhain Eve

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely terrible - it was free and NOT worth it, 14 July 2012
I have read various reviews where reviewers have spoken about terrible grammar and spelling without suffering from it myself - well now I have. Despite the author thanking her parents for helping with the spelling every single kindle page has two or more typos on it. Some are grammatical (such as 's and use of plurals) and some are poor spelling - use of the word fraught instead of fought for example. There was even a mistake in the last paragraph of the story. Other than that the story is just very, very average and not remotely original - Alexia 'magicks' her dream man who wants to overpower her and they get together. Not even sexy. The plus side was that it was a short read.
I'm also slightly confused that one of the reviews on Amazon (all 5*) appears to be from Victoria Chisholm - and the book is written by VJ Chisholm. Are authors allowed to post rave reviews?
Avoid at all costs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2012 10:11 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9