Profile for Mr. I. M. Bowden > Reviews

Content by Mr. I. M. Bowden

Mr. I. M. Bowden (Cornwall, England)

Mock the Week: Next Year's Book: All-New Scenes We'd Like to See
Mock the Week: Next Year's Book: All-New Scenes We'd Like to See
by Dan Patterson
Price: 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy from a charity shop, at least your money goes somewhere worthwhile., 21 Dec 2013
I have a broad sense of humour. I once watched Jim Davidson, Joe Pasquale and Jimmy Carr in the same week and enjoyed all of them. So it's not that I just don't "get it". But I paid 50p for this and can't honestly say I felt like I got my money's worth. Don't be fooled by the number of pages as a measure of value - a lot of it is space and pictures.

There were at most ten lines that actually made me chuckle. There are a few more that would have been conveyed better by a Mock the Week regular performing them. But most of these would end up on any decent comedian's cutting room floor. They're not even cheesy or offensive. Just simply not funny.

I gave this two stars because I didn't "hate" it, though if I had paid full price, I might feel differently.

Ode De Toilet (The Toilet Song)
Ode De Toilet (The Toilet Song)
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A song that proves country music can make anything sound good!, 24 Dec 2012
A song about how the simple things in a relationship show you care rather than grandiose gestures! Keep that toilet seat down chaps!

Accused
Accused
by Mark Gimenez

3.0 out of 5 stars Finished a chapter late., 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Accused (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book apart from two issues. Firstly, it was never explained why Scott's own daughter calls him by his full name. That is a very minor irritation.

The second reason is the epilogue. Totally destroyed the rest of the story. My English teacher once told me about a story I wrote that I should have finished it a paragraph early and let the readers draw their own conclusion. This is the case with Mr Gimenez.

But the rest of it was a great read. So I recommend it, but get a friend to tear out the last page or two!

Lion's Tale, A
Lion's Tale, A
by Peter T. Fornatale

5.0 out of 5 stars Foley was right to worry..., 21 Nov 2007
This review is from: Lion's Tale, A (Hardcover)
One of the comments on the back of this book is Mick Foley tongue in cheek wondering if it will be regarding funnier than his. It is. The only reason I have put this book down since picking it up is time constraints. It is in depth without being long winded and covers his life and career up to his first WWE debut - a great place to start a sequel if he chooses to write one, and if he doesn't, "reaching his dream" is also a good place to finish this book. It is funny throughout but serious where necessary. His descriptions on fellow wrestlers are full, i.e. he doesn't always go on first impressions. It gives an insight into the wrestling business worldwide. He shows confidence in his abilities throughout but is not afraid to critique himself either. Overall a very enjoyable read.

Controversy Creates Cash (WWE)
Controversy Creates Cash (WWE)
by Eric Bischoff

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me from the start..., 17 Nov 2006
I'm just about a third of the way through this book but am so engrossed want to encourage others to buy it before I finish! I've read mainly autobiographies of the wrestlers themselves, so knew this would be different. It is a great insight in the business and its personalities. Eric is honest about his feelings about people he has worked with, and is open about his own mistakes as well as those of others. He doesn't put the bad mouth on people without backing it up with a reason, and even then, you get the impression he is leaving you to make your own decision about that person. He sets rumours straight, even when the truth is less in his favour than the fiction (his academic qualifications for instance). Contrary to what many people think, he has a lot of respect for his peers, even if he doesn't agree with them. This book is a must read for old and new fans alike.

Poodle Hat
Poodle Hat

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best ALbum Yet - Maybe, 28 Sep 2003
This review is from: Poodle Hat (Audio CD)
I say maybe because the main reason I think it's the best is probably because I recognise all the songs that are parodied. I only found out about Al a few years ago, but have now got virtually all his albums. But onto this one in particular...1)Couch Potato - With all the boy racers pounding out "Lose Yourself" I just LOVE turning this up full blast when I go past. Some critics have labelled this "another song about TV" but that's like lambasting a comedian for "telling another joke about blondes". It shows Al's different singing skills as does the whole album (rap to boyband!). Hardware Store and Bob are catchy but more samples of his talent - the latter is all palindromes and the former...well he sings real fast! Trash Day - it's a lot easier to hear what he's saying as opposed to Nelly in Hot in Here! Party at the Leper Colony is a very catchy original song - great instrumentals. The Angry White Boy Polka has made even the most hardcore rock of my friends laugh. Wanna Be Your Lovr (sic) is a collection of cheesy chat up lines - some I would try if I was single! A Complicated Song is tunefully accurate to the orginal by Avril Lavigne. Ode to a Superhero - lyrics good, tune iffy. Genius in France and Why Does This Always Happen To Me are okay, but not ones I listen to a lot. Last but not least (and not in playlist order) is Ebay - Al singing Backstreet Boys about a very good topic - see how many items you can find on the site! All in all, this is a very good introduction to Al for fans like me who then backdate their collection. My two bosses, bosses daughter and local DJ are already converted!