Profile for Jennyrw > Reviews

Content by Jennyrw

Jennyrw

King of Swords (A Max Mingus Thriller)
King of Swords (A Max Mingus Thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic page-turner, 9 Nov. 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable read. I'm a fan of John Connolly, John Grisham, Lee Child and Michael Connelly. Nick Stone is certainly a safe pair of hands when it comes to a page-turner of a thriller. If you like the authors named about, you should enjoy this.

Mr Clarinet (A Max Mingus Thriller)
Mr Clarinet (A Max Mingus Thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick Stone delivers great writing style and an assured page-turner, 31 Oct. 2014
Nick Stone delivers great writing style and an assured page-turner. Having read his latest novel, I went to his first and was not disappointed. No doubt I will read and enjoy them all.

I Wish For You The World
I Wish For You The World

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 20 Dec. 2012
It's great to remember just how proud we all felt of Team GB during and after the Olympics. Buy this track!

Unapologetic: Why, despite everything, Christianity can still make surprising emotional sense
by Francis Spufford

3.0 out of 5 stars A different approach, 30 Oct. 2012
This book explores an interesting approach to Christianity - Francis Spufford is a Christian not because he believes in it's doctrine, but because of how he feels and experiences the world. Indeed, it is wonderful to hear the honesty in his book - that he sits in church and 'tries' to believe what he hears. He doesn't know how it all works and he's not trying to convince his reader that he does. In that, this is a refreshing, honest and invigorating view of one man's religion and rationale. My only struggle with the book is the way in which it's written. Some sentences lasted six lines, embedded with so many commas and juxstaposed ideas that by the time I reached the end I'd lost track and forgotten where it started. This does not make for a pleasant read. And added to that, I couldn't help but feel at times I was being shouted at. Which is a shame really, as I'm on-board with his ideas and really, really want to mine this book for it's understanding and access to an otherwise (for me anyway) hard-to-digest religion. So...worth the read? Yes. Enjoyable? Well, on an 'ideas' level - absolutely. An enjoyable read? No. Hard-going in places. Following a particularly 'lumpy' page I found myself muttering 'calm down man' and wishing for a gentler, more reasoned voice. But maybe that's beside the point...Spufford has every right to be angry and unapologetic when a plain, regular, peaceful activity like going to church can be viewed, in this now secular society, as weird and somehow subversive.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2013 11:13 AM BST