Profile for Mr. David G. Clare > Reviews

Content by Mr. David G. Clare

Mr. David G. Clare "acifb4now"

Page: 1 | 2
Rolling Back The Years - 70s: 1972 - 1973
Rolling Back The Years - 70s: 1972 - 1973

1.0 out of 5 stars Who ever thought they were a good idea?, 29 Nov. 2015
I agree with the other reviewer. Bought this today from a charity shop. Have just thrown it in the bin - wouldn't want anyone else to buy such rubbish. The original songs are fab - but I have no time for cheap re-recordings, which sound awful. Who ever thought they were a good idea?

UK Real Leather Passport Holder (Red)
UK Real Leather Passport Holder (Red)

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it really real leather?-, 14 July 2012
I wanted a passport holder because I like to keep my EHIC card together with my passport and I reckoned that a passport holder would enable me to do that. I am pleased with this product as it was cheap, and will no doubt enable me to keep my EHIC card safely inside my passport, without it getting lost (as happened recently). The product however looks tacky and 'cheap', which doesn't bother me, as I only get the passport out of the cupboard a couple of times a year, and I have hardly bought the holder as a status symbol or fashion item! The reason I have given it 3 stars is that I do not believe that it is made out of real leather. It doesn't feel like leather. It certainly doesn't smell like leather. Other leather items I have bought in the past have all contained a 'real leather' stamp, this passport holder doesn't. I was probably naive to assume that any item costing £3 or so would be made from leather. But I don't like being lied to and if I had more time I would report the company. I would be interested to be challenged on this - does anyone believe it is made from leather, as opposed to cheap plastic?

100 Disco Hits Of The '70s & '80s (covers)
100 Disco Hits Of The '70s & '80s (covers)

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling rubbish, 18 Sept. 2011
I agree with the previous reviewer. It seems that most of the songs are new recordings, and all of them inferior to the original versions. What's the point of re-recording a classic song if it's not an improvement on the original?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2012 7:52 PM BST

Curry And Chips - The Complete Series [DVD] [1969]
Curry And Chips - The Complete Series [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ Spike Milligan

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfunny racist rubbish, 23 May 2010
I am a great lover of British humour and sitcoms from the 70s and 80s. I made the mistake of purchasing 'Curry and Chips'. I have watched the first 4 episodes and only laughed twice. I am struggling to see where the humour is. This is the only sitcom I have seen where there is only one theme - in this case the theme is the abuse of anyone who doesn't happen to be English- and this 'theme' is mentioned in every line uttered throughout every episode! After 5 minutes I found it difficult to hear any more references to 'bleeding wogs', 'bloody coons', 'Jerrys', 'Pakis' and 'Nignogs'. Why would anyone find constant reference to other races every few seconds funny? or interesting? This is offensive, unfunny, embarrassing drivel. It's going in my bin now.
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2012 7:17 PM BST

Toys of Vanity
Toys of Vanity

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling rubbish, 20 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Toys of Vanity (Audio CD)
I love her song Love Is Contagious, thought I'd buy this album, as it's pretty cheap - and no wonder, it really is nothing other than irritating rubbish, the songs don't seem to have melodies, and the music reminds me of trance music played in dodgy bars in the early hours during the 90s, really horrible.

The Very Best Of Gloria Estefan [English Version]
The Very Best Of Gloria Estefan [English Version]
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 9 Dec. 2006
I bought Gloria Estefan's Greatest Hits volume 1 some years ago and was irritated to find that one of her hits 'It cuts both ways' was not featured, I really hate it when an artist releases a hits album and there is one, or two hits missing - why do they do this? So I was pleased to hear about her new hits album - only to find that, yet again, 'It cuts both ways' is missing, hence only 4 stars. She has a great voice, which is best shown off in her ballads. I hope her rather dull performance on X Factor tonight does not put people off from buying this, her voice, to me sounded a bit 'tired' and how about some new material?

Do They Know It's Christmas?
Do They Know It's Christmas?
Offered by skyvo-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Band Aid Catastrophe, 29 Nov. 2004
I bought this single today. I hesitated at first because I really hadn't liked it when I heard it on the radio. I saw the video which first went out on Richard and Judy a week or so ago and I gasped in horror at how appalling the version of the song was, and how tasteless the video was. But Richard and Judy praised it, saying how wonderful it was. So I thought perhaps it was just me. I LOVE the original and have enjoyed playing it every Christmas for 20 years! So today I bought the CD, not really liking it, but wanting to support in a small way the suffering people in Sudan.
I have just played it and I am appalled. My hifi system is brand new state of the art, but I can only hear the instruments, the voices are only to be heard in the background. And yet track 2, the original, sounds perfect. Why is that then?
I have always liked the lyrics to this song apart from the abhorrent line: 'Well, tonight thank God it's them instead of you!' I have never understood how such an insensitive, callous line could have been included in this song, but because Bono sang it so well I overlooked it ..... until now. I have for the first time in 20 years looked carefully at the lyrics and I can't believe what I am hearing: 'There won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time" - well so what? There probably won't be in any in the UK either. 'Do they know it's Christmastime at all?' How patronising it that? Well, believe it or not, yes, they do know it's Christmas, they are not totally ignorant! Christmas plays a part in African religions such as ....er ....Christianity and .....er .......Islam. (the two religions apparently causing the wars and current strife in Sudan).
And back in 1984 we were told the song was to raise money to support the starving in Ethiopia. And yet the song refers continually to Africa as though Africa and Ethiopia were one and the same place. Is this implication not both ignorant and offensive?
And now we are told the song is to raise money for the people in the Sudan. So why is Sudan not mentioned in the song? Why do we only hear of 'Africa' in the song, implying that all countries in Africa are one and the same? According to this song Africa is a place where 'no rivers flow'. So has the Nile stopped flowing then? Has the Congo dried up? What happened to Lake Victoria? And where has the Zambezi gone?
The CD cover is mind-blowingly appalling. Images of inflatable reindeers and of computer produced images of polar bears surrounding a photo of a starving child! Maybe it is meant to be ironic, but please .... I have never seen anything as insensitive or as tacky as this.
The dire situation in Sudan has been going on for a several months. The UK has ignored it. Can people only help others in dire need by buying a pop CD? Are they not able to donate without getting something in return? I wish I had never bought this crass rubbish CD.
It's just gone in the bin and I am now looking on Google to see where I can donate, (without getting something in return.)and I confess I am ashamed it took this CD to stir me into helping out people in need.

The Meaning Of Love
The Meaning Of Love
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent CD!, 22 Feb. 2004
This review is from: The Meaning Of Love (Audio CD)
There are many worthy reviews of Michelle's debut CD album already on this web page. I agree with the reviewers who have actually heard the CD that this is a fantastic album. I was disappointed on first hearing and on second. In my own mind I had imagined that the CD would be a variety of pop tunes; some 60's type, some 70's, some 80's, some rock, some Easy Listening, and some contempary R 'n' B. Hence my disappointment: the songs are pretty much of one style - middle of the road, currrent easy listening. However on my third listen I suddenly became hooked! The songs are written to a formular, a formular which is tried and tested- but hell, it's a formular that works! Diane Warren and Cathy Dennis, both recognised to be outstanding pop writers, have written a few of the numbers here. I love the songs with the rousing gospel sound choruses, in particular 'The Meaning of Love', which could be interpreted as an inspiring love song or an uplifting religious song. The lyrics for most of the songs are meaningful and delivered beautifully by Michelle with great emotion where appropriate. One of my favourite tracks is the final one: 'Once in a Lifetime', a beautiful rousing number. Michelle's voice is unique, in the sense that it is immediately recognisable, and all truly successful singers have to have a unique voice - so if Michelle does what the last Pop Idol Winner Will Young does, and produces a second album which is ten times better than the debut then, then we really are in store for a treat!

Free Me
Free Me
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Emma rocks!, 16 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Free Me (Audio CD)
I bought this album today - and I think it is wonderful. It contains 12 light pop songs to be enjoyed. For information about them see the other reviews here. I also wish to draw your attention to a review listed here entitled: It's a good job we're all different, 9 February, 2004 .Reviewer: viletrog from manchester United Kingdom. This reviewer refers to Emma as "this sad fat bloated tart". I find this highly offensive. The 'reviewer' goes against Amazon's policy of having listened to the album before reviewing. And then they make an offensive personal comment which has nothing to do with the CD at all. I reported this to Amazon and asked them to remove the offending 'review'. They did not bother to. Nor did they reply to my email, apart from sending a 'standard' reply which of course made no reference to my complaint. I am really sick of Amazon allowing people to write reviews on CDs they obviously haven't heard. And I am sick of Amazon allowing offensive personal remarks to be made about artists. They even allowed someone to write a review about Michelle's new CD a month ago (it only came out today!) saying she should stick to eating pies! I am so sick of Amazon not replying to my emails while they are only to keen to process my purchase orders. So where does this leave me? I will henceforth buy all my CDs from CD-WOW and am looking for another site which sells books. I hope this has made you think. By the way 'Free Me' by Emma is fab! And did I buy it from Amazon? Of course not, I paid over the odds for it in MVC. But it was worth it.

Now That's What I Call Music! 56
Now That's What I Call Music! 56

5.0 out of 5 stars This is fab!!, 17 Nov. 2003
I bought this album today - not on the strength of the reviews featured on here (!), but on the strength of the tracks featured. In my opinion this is one of the best NOW compilations. It features both recent best sellers killer tracks like Beyoncé's 'Crazy In Love' and Elton's 'Are you ready?' and also good tracks which are currently in the charts, Kylie's 'Slow', Blue's 'Guilty', Sugababes' 'Hole in the Head' etc. There are no obscure tracks or ones which didn't dent the charts, and I appreciate the variety of pop styles featured: pure UK pop (Rachel Stevens, Lemar, Emma, Girls Aloud etc) and trendy American pop (Amy Studt, Ashanti, Justin Timberlake etc) and the greatly adored 'Busted' and America's coolest rapper 50 Cent. The second CD closes with some serious pop/rock sounds ( Starsailor, Stereophonics etc) and the last track is amazing - a new version of Tears for Fears' 'Mad World' which I remember first time round (1982!)- this version is completely different from the original and it is truly inspirational. This NOW compilation is, in my opinion, fantastic - the variety of pop musical styles is great, the sequencing is fab, the songs fit together to make for a nice package. On the down side - the Fatman Scoop 'song' is truly awful and demands a quick forwarding when it comes on, and the lame 'Swing Low' by UB40 could have been omitted- it's hardly their best song, is it? Well, one shouldn't complain, CD 1 lasts for 79 mins - this is the longest CD I know! - and given most tracks are good ones, three cheers for NOW!!

Page: 1 | 2