Profile for Matt > Reviews

Content by Matt

Matt

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Tom Tom Hands Free Car Kit for Smartphones (discontinued by manufacturer)
Tom Tom Hands Free Car Kit for Smartphones (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by AVIDES

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good but sometimes people don't hear me, 17 Mar 2014
Bought this as I could barely hear GPS directions from TomTom. Wasn't too happy about spending more money after spending a lot just on the TT software but I have been pleasantly surprised by this unit. First it acts as a bluetooth speaker, so its compatible with pretty much every bluetooth capable phone. Secondly, the arms expand to quite a size and can even grip the enormous Samsung Note phone which I have as well as most other smaller phones.

Power supplied uses a 2 amp charger that will fast charge most phones, you also get a microphone and extension cable to use for handsfree calls. It works great, the sound quality is very good. I remember years ago peoples car phone kits and the unintelligible speech coming from them, but this one is crystal clear for voice... when the other side can hear you. I'm not sure if it is my phone, the microphone, the cable, or the device itself but occasionally (about 1 in every 5 or 6 calls) the other side doesn't hear me and ends up hanging up.

When I'm not using it to either make calls or use for GPS it is also quite nice to keep your phone in your pocket, play a mix of songs but have them come out of the bluetooth speaker in the car. Not great for music especially since it's mono, but not bad either and I have a lot more songs on my phone than on my car stereo !!!

2 x Continuous Lighting Kit 50x70cm Softbox Soft Box Photo Studio Set Light Bulbs Lamp 5500K 85W x2 Photography 50 x 70 cm Softboxes UK Plug
Offered by Dealstation

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent kit, proper bulbs at a decent price, 17 Mar 2014
This is my second continuous lighting kit that I use for photography work. The first I purchased was over priced crap that fell apart a month after buying it. This one has proven itself to be much more reliable and sturdy. It has decent feeling clips and clamps that don't feel like they will break.

The bulbs are a high quality bulb in the right daylight spectrum, they are light, simple to assemble and easy to operate and move around with. I am much more pleased with these than I was with the previously overpriced setup I bought a few years ago.

Model Car Display Case
Model Car Display Case
Offered by Wrights Plastics Ltd/GPX

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for something completely different, but great case, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Model Car Display Case
Bought this to house a waterproof raspberry pi + webcam + night vision IR system to make my own security camera.

The casing is great , and I'm sure would be great for displaying any item inside that you wish to keep safe.
For my use, I was able to put some electronics inside and make it waterproof with just a few bits of waterproof tape, so I was quite pleased with it. Only down side was I cracked the plastic in one corner slightly...

Toshiba Satellite C55-1HN 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Pentium 2020M 2.4 GHz Processor, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, shame about Windows 8 but the laptop is great., 17 Mar 2014
Bought this for my wife to replacing an ageing Dell laptop at xmas. She was very pleased with it. It has a great piano black highly shiny surface that looks great. The screen is very vibrant and is great for movies too. The only downside has been the Fisher Price style OS installed (Windows 8) and whilst Windows 8.1 update tries to give you back some of that old Windows 7 style, it just wasn't what we were looking for, so still having a copy of Win 7 I decided to wipe it and install that instead... and I'm so happy I did.

The laptop seems to me and my wife to run much faster under 7 than 8.1

It comes with a hard disk that even I would take some time to fill (1TB -- my apple macbook air has only 256GB) and the CPU and memory are more than sufficiently fast for browsing the web, office documents or watching movies on the plane. Battery life is pleasantly surprising as I noticed one day using it for almost 5 hours unplugged without even noticing my power supply was unplugged.

My wife loves the keyboard with number pad too since small keyboards can make your fingers hurt a bit after a while, and number pads make crunching the numbers so much easier. All in all a very tidy laptop and a decent price, very impressed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2014 1:21 PM BST

ARCTIC F8 TC Cooling Fan for CPU
ARCTIC F8 TC Cooling Fan for CPU

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fans, nice price, 17 Mar 2014
What can I say ? It's a computer fan! ...

Well I can say it's fairly quiet as computer fans go. I have much louder ones already in the case so I don't even notice these, yet the air they move is quite a lot. I had several in a gaming case, and the addition of these has been a breeze (haw haw) and kept my gaming rig nice and cool. I now buy almost all my fans from Arctic.

KEEDOX® DVB-T USB TV RTL-SDR FM+DAB Radio Tuner Receiver Stick Realtek RTL2832U+R820T
Offered by Hossen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SDR, so-so TV tuner. Lots of fun at a great price. Huge potential., 17 Mar 2014
Firstly, I would like to say that like many others, I did not buy this to watch TV on.

I did buy it to use as a software defined radio (SDR). That is a radio that can be controlled in software on your computer, meaning you can tune it to a wide range of frequencies (not just the TV frequencies) and run different radio based experiments on it. If you are looking for a review of it as a TV tuner, keep reading, this review won't help you on that.

The unit contains the necessary Realtek chip that the rtl_sdr project makes use of, which in turn can be used by bits of software like gnuradio or HDSDR or if you are on OS X you can try gqrx which contains drivers, code and a GUI application. Simply put, using one of these dongles and the right software, you can listen from 52 - 2200MHz (Approx - not same on all apparently) which covers a wide range. You won't however pick up much using the supplied antenna, and will probably want to either build yourself one or purchase a good scanner aerial like a discone that can pick up a wide range of frequencies.

Great fun, try adding one to a raspberry pi and making a handheld scanner or handheld spectrum analyser at fraction of the cost of an off the shelf one.

200Gram Tea Tree Soap
200Gram Tea Tree Soap
Offered by Christina May Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice soap, good ingredients. Ethical too., 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: 200Gram Tea Tree Soap (Misc.)
I'm always looking at the ingredients in soap. Soap is a wonderful yet very simple product that has been around for millennia, but modern soap contains things that only the most evil person would want to wash with. I wanted a tea-tree based soap, and I found many of them, but most are made with palm oil (yuck) which besides not being so great for your health, is sourced from places that are less than kind to the environment and employees of palm oil processing / producing plants. Then there's limonene in EVERYTHING today and whilst some say it can do amazing things, the fact is there is ZERO research that proves or disproves any of it and in male rats it gives them kidney cancer... it might or might not in Humans, we don't know because there are no/not enough studies. So why not go natural ?

This soap is made from all natural stuff, it smells good, and I think it helps my rosacea a bit too.

SuperHash HQ PCIE PCI Express 16x to 16x Powered Riser for Bitcoin Litecoin Mining
Offered by FTW Technologies Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me., 17 Mar 2014
I bought this for a mining rig using an MSI motherboard and a MSI 280x graphics card.
After reading about powered vs unpowered, I decided it was better to have the powered part and not need it than need it and not have it. The cable seemed to be fine, although a bit inflexible and stiff. The connectors are wrapped in some strange flimsy blue tape.

I connected it up to the port on the motherboard, to the power supply and to the card. When I turned the computer on, the fans began to spin on the graphics card, but yet windows failed to notice the card was there at all. I then tried it with another 280x (as I have three) and none of them would work. Linux also failed to detect any additional cards when using it. Finally after trying all available PCI slots, I decided to return it for a refund. Which I got, thanks, but the product didn't work at all for me.

Smart Homes For Dummies
Smart Homes For Dummies
by Danny Briere

2.0 out of 5 stars Woefully out of date, 7 Mar 2014
This book is in major need of revising and updating. It was written in 2007 but yet doesn't consider things like point to point wifi links. The book relies on old outdated technologies like X10 and doesn't know about things like raspberry pi's or arduinos and as another reviewer also stated - sadly the book seems aimed at Americans with no understanding or discussion of european standards and all suggestions of where to get anything relates to the USA market.

In short, don't buy the book. It might give you a few good ideas, but I don't think you need to buy a book to tell you how to wire up your house with CAT5 and all the other automation things are so out of date theres no point in discussing it.

USB Electronic Rechargeable Flameless Cigarette Lighter White
USB Electronic Rechargeable Flameless Cigarette Lighter White
Offered by FamilyMall (8-23 shipping days)

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work more chinese tat, 9 Jan 2014
More broken Chinese tat on Amazon. I decided to buy 4 for cheap xmas presents for smoker friends.
3 out of 4 failed to operate. Then the 4th broke on new years day. So it was a total waste of money.
I'm rapidly beginning to think that cheap Chinese toys like this are just a waste of money, this not the first electric lighter I bought from China but it was the shortest lasting one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4