Profile for Runristare > Reviews

Building the Global Market, a 4000 Year History of Derivatives
Building the Global Market, a 4000 Year History of Derivatives
by Edward J. Swan

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 20 Oct. 2013
The price tag on this book is a bit high. But I found it very good value for money. Maybe you have heard that futures were born at CBOT in Chicago, or even longer ago at Dojima in Japan. This book will give the entire history, well illustrated, going back to Mesopotamia. The "long ago" is for many the first swap in 1981. When you hear the chairman of supervisory authorities say such things as derivatives have never been regulated, you will in this book learn how it was regulated four thousand years ago, 800 years ago in Britain, etc. I have looked everywhere for many years for information on the history of derivatives and the political dynamics on regulation. I found it all in this wonderful book. I loved it and I cannot recommend it enough.

Millennium: The End of the World and the Forging of Christendom
Millennium: The End of the World and the Forging of Christendom
by Tom Holland

5.0 out of 5 stars Light to a dark spot in history knowledge, 1 Aug. 2013
The period from about 800 AD to 1100 AD when so much happened is sadly overlooked in mainstream history education. This book filled that gap for me. The story is told along threads that naturally move forward in time. A change of thread therefore leads to a return in time. I did not find this confusing, but I can understand that some readers may. So much happened around the year 1000, when Europe came out of the dark ages, our western cilivisation chose one road, but could have chosen another, way back then. Chistianity had Canossa and that did all the difference. The book is so filled with facts, I found myself wondering how much submerged the author must have been in the facts of the time when he wrote the book. It shows that the author thinks the story is important and that enthusiasm is contagious. The story is perhaps also important for our time. I loved this book and recommend it to anyone who sincerely wants to bring light to his knowledge of this important time and events.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2014 5:20 PM BST

How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks - All for FREE: Ebooksuccess4free: Volume 1
How to Make, Market and Sell Ebooks - All for FREE: Ebooksuccess4free: Volume 1
by Jason Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, 21 Mar. 2013
I bought this book because I wanted to know if and how I could publish cheaply, simply and without any personal contacts with publishers. It gave answers to all that, showed that it was possible and exactly the necessary steps. Jason Matthews does that simply by writing about his own path to publishing and marketing this book. And of course leaving out the paths that he probably tried but which did not lead to this success. 50% of what makes this book so readable is the generous sharing of what works and how to do it step by step.
Mr Mathews also writes with an enthusiasm to share. This makes it hard to put down the book. You just want to read more and more. Knowing of course you will need to go back to the pages, and let it become a handbook. Mathews can write and write well. Not everyone can do that.
I have read other books on the subject. In my opinion, this is the better written one. And the most comprehensive.
I am probably going to buy a few copies more and give it to friends in the same situation as myself. Ironically, the paper version.