Profile for Mr. P. M. Hodges > Reviews

Little Brother
by Cory Doctorow
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING : This book may cause paranoia!!, 14 July 2010
This review is from: Little Brother (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book that while delivering an exciting story, also makes you think about how our increasingly technology reliant world is causing us to lose our freedoms and privacy.
The author writes in a very readable style,explaining some complex I.T. ideas and making them understandable to the layman.The story rattles along at a good pace and I found most of the characters to be well realised.
I disagree that the book is aimed squarely at people under the age of 25,despite one of the the protaganists slogans, and may prove worthwhile to older people that may not be as tech savvy and fail to realise the amount of information our governments are collating every second of every day about our habits.It really makes you think about what all this data is going to be used for in the future as technology progresses.Scary stuff!!
A throuroughly recommended read. A 1984 for the yoof.

Luminous
Luminous
by Greg Egan
Price: 7.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Sci fi for the 21st century., 25 Jun 2009
This review is from: Luminous (Paperback)
Not being a big science fiction fan I was suprised how much I enjoyed this collection of short stories.The author is obviously a very intelligent and knowlegeble guy where cutting edge science is concerned.Although some of the science bits went way above my head (paticurlary the 'Luminous' story which deals with some very complex math theory) underneath all the science jargon are some very intresting studies of the human conditon such as what really is happiness in the story 'Reasons to be cheerful'.The stories are not bogged down with the usual sci-fi cliches which tend to put me off this genre and in the main are very inventive and intresting.Most of the stories really made me think and ponder on what some of the issues of the future might be.All in all even if you don't usually enjoy Sci-fi but do enjoy stories which get your brain going give this great book a try.