Profile for susan > Reviews

Content by susan

susan (leeds, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Silver Shark (Kinsmen Series Book 2)
Silver Shark (Kinsmen Series Book 2)
Price: 1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 6 Feb 2012
I LOVED every second, the characters, concept, plot and writing could not have been better in my opinion, even better than - and this is almost sacrilegious for me - the kate daniels series.
My only complaint? FAR TOO SHORT! For me this could have been as long as the lord of the rings & I still would have wanted more, but really it was far too short :(

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Sicily
DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Sicily

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition - does not work!, 8 Jan 2012
The knidle editions has TINY pictures! I don't know about you but the pictures are what I buy travel guides for and so I was seriously not impressed.....

Camberwick Green - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1966]
Camberwick Green - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1966]
Dvd ~ Brian Cant
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Windy Miller rocks!!, 14 July 2009
I bought this as a joke for my 14 year old son. He loves it and thinks Windy Miler is a seriously strange character...all the cider and drink driving references!
I remember watching the first time round...they are still fun and I have now bought him Trumpton and Chigley. He is a film fan and watches everything but if its good enough for him its good enough for anyone.

Gordon Brown: Prime Minister
Gordon Brown: Prime Minister
by Tom Bower
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brown is a scary control freak, 28 April 2009
Having just finished reading 'Gordon Brown Prime Minister' all I can say is that I am glad I didn't read it earlier or I would have been scared for longer. The book is excellent and shows just how much of a bully and control freak Brown is, and how much of OUR money he is prepared to waste to feed his ego. In some ways the book reminded me of the biography of Mao, not because Brown is a mass murderer but because the book is a list of ever more depressing facts.
Don't read the book if you are prone to stress or you will just end up screaming out loud at the horrors that Brown has inflicted on our country as Chancellor and now a Prime Minister. The most depressing aspect is that if instead of squandering vast billions of our money Brown had actually looked at what was best for the country instead of his ego we would have amazingly good public services and a decent pension system.
As I say an interesting book but not a fun read.

Bridge To Terabithia [DVD]
Bridge To Terabithia [DVD]
Dvd ~ Josh Hutcherson
Price: 2.73

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 19 Nov 2007
This review is from: Bridge To Terabithia [DVD] (DVD)
My Brother and I, 11 and 13 wanted to go see this movie at the cinema due to the trailers expecting, as it advertised, a fantasy movie. Well it isn't. It is one of the most depressing movies, they never get to Terabithia, it is just imagionation and no adventure. Don't belive the advert!

Michael Tolliver Lives
Michael Tolliver Lives
by Armistead Maupin

5.0 out of 5 stars ignore the reviews ...enjoy the book, 20 Jun 2007
This review is from: Michael Tolliver Lives (Hardcover)
I read a load of really very scathing reviews of the book but decided to get it anyway...well I'm glad I did! The book brings you up to date on many old friends from 'Tales of the City'...its just like meeting an old friend and catching up on the gossip. I love the way Armistead Maupin writes through Michael...I would guess Armistead was as happy getting wed as Michael was. Michael has aged into a wonderful warm guy and while the story is not as frivolious and silly as the earlier stories, neither is Michael- I guess he finally grew up. Read it if you even slighly enjoyed the other books its a lovely read and I am just off now to curl up on the sofa and read it again!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2007 3:19 PM GMT

The Children of Men
The Children of Men
by P. D. James
Price: 6.97

1.0 out of 5 stars don't bother its dull, 31 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Children of Men (Paperback)
I bought the book hoping it would be a good 'disaster' story. Its not. Its tedious and dull. In spite of being an avid reader...i will read anything...I am having problems reading the book its so boring. The plot is tedious and the characters uninteresting. The description of an world without children is unconvincing. This is the first P.D.James book i have bought and it will be the last, I shall stick to authors that can write in future.

The Game (Firebird)
The Game (Firebird)
by Diana Wynne Jones
Price: 7.18

5.0 out of 5 stars a great story, 23 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Game (Firebird) (Hardcover)
Diana Wynne Jones always writes exciting, thought provoking stories. This is another one. If you have read 'Dogsbody' you will see the similarities...if you haven't read it lucky you, you get to read it for the first time! The story involves a girl who finds out all kinds of exciting things about her family and ends up rescuing them all from her 'wicked' uncle. The story is too short(my only complaint) but its well worth reading. I just hope there are lots more Diana Wynne Jones stories to come. They are all good and many are truly brilliant. My personal favourites include 'Hexwood' and 'The Merlin Conspiracy'...but having read all her novels I can say they are all worth reading and many are worth re-reading!

Free Jazz
Free Jazz
Price: 6.75

4.0 out of 5 stars It isn't Mozart or George Formby!, 7 Jan 2007
This review is from: Free Jazz (Audio CD)
Free Jazz often works best in small groups and only works when you switch off the ego. Amazingly 2 quartets of Free Jazz Super-stars show how it is done. 37 minutes of straight improvisation featuring Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, Don Cherry, Ed Blackwell. Some reviewers seem to complain it isn't Mozart, funny that since it is titled "Free Jazz"! Strange mistake to make.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2011 9:53 AM GMT

A Forever Family
A Forever Family
by John Houghton
Price: 10.53

5.0 out of 5 stars a very honest book, 10 Nov 2006
This review is from: A Forever Family (Hardcover)
as adoptive parents ourselves of a very troubled, but adorable, little boy I found myself reading the book and recognising myself all the time. Anyone looking at fostering or adopting should read this book first! Hopefully not everyone adopting of fostering will have such a harrowing experience but I doubt many will manage such honesty. It cannot have been easy to write about all the mistakes made and all the bad times, but it matches my experience in many respects.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3