ARRAY(0xac47d510)

Mad About You
Mad About You
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable read from Sinead Moriarty, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Mad About You (Kindle Edition)
Mad about You is the fourth book following the relationship of Emma and James. Although it could be read as a stand alone novel I felt that having previous knowledge of the characters did add to my enjoyment of the book.

Emma and James are now parents to two young children. Following a move to London so James can continue working as a rugby coach, Emma finds she struggles to fit in. The yummy mummy's seem content to spend their husbands big fat paycheques and Emma quickly realises this lifestyle is not for her. Returning to work as a make up artist alongside her outlandish sister Babs, Emma discovers life as a working Mum holds challenges of its own. Emma is pushed to the edge of her limits when it appears James, previously so supportive and loving, is having an affair. Overtly sexual text messages are initially taken to be a prank, but when a vibrator arrives with a sinister message, Emma is close to breaking point. Can their marriage survive under the strain?

Sinead Moriarty is often compared to Marian Keyes, and there are certainly some similarities in the writing style. Very much family orientated, Mad about You has a perfect balance between wicked humour and an engaging plot. Emma is a likeable character that females will relate to- a woman trying to have it all and struggling to keep her sanity as a working Mum. The family dynamics are also something that many readers will be familiar with, the 'can't live with them, can't live without them' dilemma. I though the relationship between Emma and Babs in particular was believable and touching.

Although I did find parts of the book predictable, Mad About You was a fun, easy read that chicklit fans will enjoy.

The Life List
The Life List
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining book for lovers of chicklit with a heart, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Life List (Kindle Edition)
Brett is devastated when her beloved mother dies, and hurt beyond recognition when her brothers get given an inheritance and she doesn't. Her mother's will instructs Brett that in order to gain her share she must complete the 'life list' she wrote as a teen. Brett is reluctant-she doesn't even want half these things any more- but does mother know best? Reluctantly, she sets out to achieve her childhood dreams, hoping that they can bring fulfilment to relieve the pain of grief.

This book really spoke to me about how many of our dreams and desires are built in us from an early age. It also reminded me that if you want anything enough you should do all you can to get it. Inspiring stuff!

Although sometimes slightly farfetched, The Life List was actually a very uplifting, motivating read. Filled with romance, friendship and family upheavals, the chaos and unpredictability of life is explored in a humorous and touching way. There were moments where my eyes glistened with tears and others where I silently chuckled to myself. Sentimental yet not mawkish, I found The Life List a tender and immersive read. Brett was a likeable protagonist and I was actively willing her to achieve her goals and find out exactly what made her tick.

Lori Nelson Spielman has written a fantastically readable book that will appeal to fans of Cecelia Ahern's bestseller P.S I Love You. This is not just chicklit, it is chicklit with a heart.

The Pajamas of My Dreams
The Pajamas of My Dreams
by Laurie Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars The Pajamas of My Dreams, 16 Aug 2013
A short children's book about what children really dream about-wild hopes and the actual realities of what we need to feel happy and safe. I am not sure who this book would really appeal to, but I would argue it is more thought provoking for adults than children.

The Naughty Girls Book Club
The Naughty Girls Book Club
Price: 2.48

4.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, 16 Aug 2013
Estelle, a single Mum running the struggling Café Crumb, is keen to bring customers back to her business. When the local bookshop closes, Estelle sees an opportunity- starting a book group at the café. Estelle advertises locally and a small but select group is formed. We meet Sue who feels stuck in a marriage rut, vintage fan and staunch feminist Gracie, Rebecca who wishes to spice up her sex life with husband Andy, and studious Reggie, attending only to gain material about book clubs for his thesis.

Starting with Tess of the D'Urbervilles and progressing to a bestselling erotic novel, the book group explore a saucy reading list covering Marquis de Sade, Jilly Cooper and Shirley Conran. Inspired by the books they read, the members of the book club are soon having adventures of their own with romances blossoming and self confidence renewed.

I must admit that when I first saw the cover of The Naughty Girls' Book Club I was doubtful as to whether it would be my kind of thing. I've not really bought into the boom in erotic fiction, not for any reason other than I tried Fifty Shades of Grey and found it so badly written that I couldn't continue with it. I have read other 'naughty' books in the past and am certainly not snobbish about them. Riders, one of the books the book club read, was a favourite of mine in my student days. I just haven't found much of the new wave of erotica that appeals to me.

However, The Naughty Girls' Book Club is not really erotica. It does have some sexy scenes, but is actually more about the friendships that grow between the members of the group and their lives away from Café Crumb. The characters really grow throughout the book and are a diverse group- I am sure readers will be able to see aspects of themselves in Estelle, Gracie, Rebecca, Sue and Reggie. Plus, a book about books is always a success for me. Fans of erotic fiction will find plenty of suggestions for future reads, both in the novel itself and the additional recommended reading at the back. My edition also had a list of questions for book groups reading and discussing The Naughty Girls' Book Club.

Sophie Hart has written a book that is fun and flirty, frothy and frivolous, frank and forthright. It strikes a perfect balance between naughtiness and niceties, and reading The Naughty Girls' Book Club reminded me just how important true friends, those who accept you warts and all, really are.

A perfect holiday read for those seeking a story of romance, friendship with a touch of extra spice.

8.5/10

Life Is a Bowl Full of Cherries
Life Is a Bowl Full of Cherries
by Vanita Oelschlager
Price: 5.36

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting concept, but not much content, 15 Aug 2013
I thought this would be a really interesting book- a chance to look at the humour within the English language and a way of educating children about the funny phrases that have become part of every day life.

However, there wasn't much content in this small book. Also, some of the illustrations were fabulous-I loved the cover- and others were not aesthetically appealing for children or adults.

* I was given a review copy of this book in return for an honest review*

The Arcade: Episode 2, February, The Lingerie Store
The Arcade: Episode 2, February, The Lingerie Store
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Still a good short read, but not as engaging as the first Arcade book, 15 Aug 2013
Eden, owner of the Arcade's lingerie store is quite hardnosed and less likeable than Faith from the first episode the Vintage Boutique. This is also a shorter story, focusing on Eden's upbringing and how it is affecting her in the present day. I did feel empathy towards Eden, although found parts of this uncomfortable to read. 3/5

The Night Flower
The Night Flower
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty and dark tale, beautifully written, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Night Flower (Kindle Edition)
Sarah Stovell is a fantastic talent. The Night Flower was written as part of her PhD in Creative Writing and is an immersive, enlightening novel.

Miriam, a sweet young Romany gypsy, is orphaned and in order to survive befriends headstrong Katie-May. Led astray by her new friend, Miriam's life changes dramatically.

Rose is the opposite of Miriam- well brought up, well turned out and a mother who takes her role seriously. However, as her life changes beyond recognition her future mirrors that of Miriam, and both women are piled on to a crowded, stinking ship and transported to the convict colonies of Tasmania.

Can Miriam and Rose, who appear to have nothing in common, work together, trust each other or even become friends?

The Night Flower is a fabulous read. Alluring despite the dark and slightly seedy subject matter, it is ultimately a book exploring how quickly life can change. It demonstrates the resilience within us as humans and is a gritty, honest book.

I found Miriam and Rose likeable characters and I empathised with their plight. Their lives are so far removed from my own that as a reader I felt almost guilty at my freedom, choice and privilege.

The Night Flower is beautifully written, an intoxicating, seductive book best enjoyed in as few sittings as possible. Dark and gritty, coarse and seedy- Sarah Stovell's book makes for uncomfortable yet riveting reading.

The Night Flower is out now, published by Tindal Street Press.

Speeding Down the Spiral: An Artful Adventure
Speeding Down the Spiral: An Artful Adventure
by Deborah Goodman Davis
Price: 9.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, only downside is the art would benefit from being larger, 14 Aug 2013
Speeding Down the Spiral (subtitled 'An Artful Adventure) is the story of Lizzie and Ben's visit to the Guggenheim Museum. From arriving at the iconic building Lizzie is in awe of the structure and its spiral shape, and when Ben's pushchair rolls away from her a whistlestop tour of the exhibits ensues. Ben sails past paintings from Miro, Picasso, Cezanne and Warhol amongst others, and this fun filled book also educates and informs.

I thought this an entertaining children's book and a fabulous way to introduce younger readers to an architectural masterpiece and the collection of classic works of art that it houses. Having visited the Guggenheim on my honeymoon eight years ago I am now itching to go back. The main limitation for me was that the pictures of the art on display at the Guggenheim are small compared to the overall illustrations. I feel that the book would work better if these were larger.

8/10

Speeding Down the Spiral has a fantastic website to accompany the book.

The List of my Desires
The List of my Desires
Price: 4.68

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking read, 13 Aug 2013
The List of my Desires by Gregoire Delacourt is an international bestseller. Widely touted as one of the 'must read books of 2013' I couldn't wait to be whisked away by it.

It is certainly a thought-provoking read. Jocelyne is a wife and mother living in a small French town. She runs a haberdashery and writes a successful crafting blog. Her best friends work at the hairdressers next door and dream of winning big on the Euromillions. Determined that Jocelyne will get a taste for their lottery habit, they encourage her to buy a ticket-and amazingly, Jocelyne wins 18 million euros.

Before cashing her winnings, Jocelyne begins to list her 'desires'. Mostly simple, everyday objects she ponders whether money can truly bring happiness. Should she cash the cheque? Or will having such a large sum of money cause more problems than it solves?

The List of my Desires made me contemplate just how much influence money has over our lives, not just the opportunities it can afford but also affecting how you are perceived my others; and whether it is healthy to be able to afford everything you wish for.

I often find that books translated into English from other languages are harder to read and don't flow as naturally as they ought, but this was not the case with this book. From the opening sentence to the closing message, it was highly readable- literary, yet accessible to the masses.

Touching and heartwrenching, The List of my Desires lives up to the hype surrounding it, a well crafted and all consuming novel.

The List of my Desires is out now, published by Weidenfeld and Nicolson.

8.5/10

The Arcade: Episode 1, January, The Vintage Boutique
The Arcade: Episode 1, January, The Vintage Boutique
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first start to this series, 13 Aug 2013
A brilliant start to the Arcade series, The Vintage Boutique showcases Faith's new venture 'Faith in the Past'. Including a whistlestop introduction to the other shop-owners at a New Year's Eve party and Faith's former paramedic training being called into use, The Vintage Boutique had me hooked from the start.

It is a short read, but that is because it is part of a series and the further episodes can be downloaded separately.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-22