Profile for K. L. Beeden > Reviews

I Am The Secret WAG: The true story of my life as an England footballer's wife
I Am The Secret WAG: The true story of my life as an England footballer's wife
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I am the Secret Wag, 3 July 2014
Have you ever wondered what it's like to be a wag? Ever wondered how much surgical enhancement they've had? Ever wondered how they cope with the media pressure? Then you should read I am the Secret Wag. Written by 'an England footballer's wife', this book is a must for anyone attracted to the celebrity lifestyle. As it is written anonymously there is scope for free speech and honesty, something which may be compromised in the autobiographies of other wags.

I must admit to being surprised at the sauciness of some scenes-the secret wag certainly holds nothing back when it comes to disclosures about bedroom antics with her hunky footballer husband. With sex, fashion, club brawls and boob jobs, I am the Secret Wag paints a picture of wagdom not that far removed from an episode of the Footballer's Wives. If you subscribe to glossy magazines and gossip columns then I am sure you'll find this an interesting read. In fact, you may have spotted the wag in one of them- her wedding was front page of popular magazine.

On a personal level I'd hoped for a bit more about the beautiful game itself, but then I am a big football fan. I've read The Secret Footballer books and enjoyed them as an insight into the world of professional football. I am the Secret Wag is equally as candid, but definitely aimed at a female market. My life is so far removed from that described in the book that I did have a few moments where I thought 'seriously?!' but then reminded myself that for someone in the media spotlight with oodles of cash it probably wasn't as outlandish as it seemed to little old me. There were also a few moments where I felt that she contradicted herself slightly, mainly when talking about how normal she was and then following up by talking about expensive nights out at exclusive restaurants or selling her wedding to a glossy mag.

I am the Secret Wag may appeal to fans of chicklit, reality TV or those looking for an easy beach read and of course you can't help but wonder who it might be (I have very strong suspicions but am keeping schtum!). I did wonder if some parts had been exaggerated or embellished to make a more interesting story, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if they had or not because the book isn't professing to be anything other than a fun glimpse into the life of a wag.

Landline
Landline
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Landline, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Landline (Kindle Edition)
This one took a while to get going, in fact I actually put it down because I wasn't immediately feeling it. Georgie irritated me, Neal irritated me, their relationship irritated me- I just felt overwhelmingly....irritated. As an outsider looking in I wanted to bang their heads together and tell them that for any marriage to work there needs to be compromise because it isn't all hearts and flowers, it's bloody hard work.

Then the quirkiness kicked in. The landline. And I wasn't sure what to think. It was a fresh idea, totally original, but I wanted angst, emotion, moments that would make my heart pang and my stomach lurch. And slowly, through the conversations Georgie has with young Neal, the reader learns about their relationship. That was what I'd been waiting for, that insight into the human condition which Rainbow conveys so well. From then on I was sucked in, loving seeing the juxtaposition of Georgie and Neal's time together from students to 'old marrieds'. It was realistic, a world away from the way marriage is portrayed in a lot of fiction. In fact, at times it was painful to read- I cried twice whilst reading, proper gut wrenching cries.

It's difficult to summarise my feelings about this one. I didn't enjoy it, but I did appreciate it. It did touch me, and I invested more in the characters as the plot progressed- I can see me thinking about this book in the future and recalling the message it sends. For me it didn't have the immediate impact of Rainbow Rowell's previous works, but I know that the more I mull it over the more I will see. It's one of those books that needs digesting.

And I really wish I had that yellow rotary phone in my life.

Being Binky
Being Binky
Price: 4.75

3.0 out of 5 stars More suited to the younger market, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Being Binky (Kindle Edition)
I make no bones about the fact that I love a bit of reality TV, and Made in Chelsea is possibly my favourite of all of the reality series I watch. I like the glamour, the bitching, the fashion-plus as a bit of a London fanatic too there are regular glimpses of notable landmarks and quirky bars and cafes. It is a far cry from life in South Yorkshire working as a dinner lady.

Binky has always been my favourite female cast member. She seems a bit more down to earth than some of the other girls and is one of those irritating people who always appears effortlessly gorgeous. I have a bit of a crush on her. And I want her hair. So when I saw she had a book out I was full of excitement.

Unfortunately, I wasn't blown away by Being Binky. I was interested in her childhood, her experience of being bullied at school and how she came to be part of Made in Chelsea, but felt there was little in the way of juicy gossip or meaty revelations. The book mostly covers her time up to starting on Made in Chelsea, whereas it would probably work better if it was based more around the relationships between cast members, her honest opinions on key moments in the series and how her life has changed.

There are lists of 'top tips' for things like 'how to apply fake tan' and 'how to date a Chelsea boy' which are really not relevant to me. This is definitely aimed at the younger market, I would say 16-18s. The pictures of Binky growing up will give any girl hope- puberty served her well- and I was amazed at how her Mum hasn't aged at all!

Overall, I was disappointed. I love Binky and thought there was so much potential, but this book fell a bit flat for me. It would have been better being marketed as a teen book, as a quick look on Amazon shows that other older fans of the show have had similar thoughts to me. I can imagine younger readers will enjoy it as an easy read and find the lists fun, but for me it could have been so much more.

Blue
Blue
Price: 2.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect YA novel for summer, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Blue (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, how pretty is the cover for this one?! The beautiful, hazy sunlight had me dreaming of long, lazy days at the beach. And the half naked hottie frolicking in the surf? Well, no comments about what HE had me dreaming of...

I love a good romance more than pretty much anything, and I'd heard fantastic things about Blue. Set in the surfer's haven of Fistral in Cornwall, the story focuses around Iris, a sixteen year old who loves nothing more than spending her days surfing. But then Zeke arrives, beautiful and talented, and Iris can't deny the attraction. She knows it isn't practical, she knows she might end up hurt, so can she allow herself to fall for him?

The romance between Iris and Zeke had me hooked- all the initial excitement of teenage love (and lust) comes sizzling off the page. And Lisa Glass certainly knows how to write a good male lead. I was a bit hot under the proverbial collar at the thought of Zeke in his wetsuit- phew! A new book boyfriend for me I think... I wonder if it was because he was strong, or daring, or successful, or downright beautiful that I liked him? Although actually I think one of his most attractive features is his loyalty to his family. Zeke's family play a prominent role in the story and I adored their kooky ways. They came across as a tightknit unit and when they faced difficult times in the book I always had hope that there would be a happy ending for them all.

Blue is a perfect YA novel for summer, with just the right balance of sun, sea, surf and (not explicit) sex. There are themes in the novel such as virginity, drugs, experimenting with alcohol, sexuality which make it very much a YA book, but adults may also enjoy Blue. It manages to have a chilled out feel despite being reasonably well paced, and although I have no experience of surfing myself (you would not get me in a wetsuit for love nor money) I loved how the surfing community was portrayed, almost like an extended family.

An enjoyable summer read with enough 'will they/won't they' to keep you guessing.

One Hundred Proposals
One Hundred Proposals
Price: 1.19

5.0 out of 5 stars When Harry Met Suzie..., 1 July 2014
One Hundred Proposals is like When Harry met Sally in book form. Harry and Suzie are best friends, but could they be more? Should they be more? I loved the angsty nature of this book, something which is woefully missing from too many adult romances. True love IS filled with angst, and insecurity and self-doubt. But there is more to One Hundred Proposals than just overblown declarations of love. I was giggling away to myself throughout at the fabulous descriptions of the madcap moments- hilarious! Romantic comedy at its best!

The characters were well formed, and more was revealed about both Harry and Suzie as the story progressed. I really cared about both of them and that had me turning the pages, willing them on to a happy ending.

Overall this was a sweet, comedic book perfect for a hit of romance on these long summer nights. I'll definitely be working my way through Holly Martin's back catalogue after enjoying this so much.

The Bookshop on the Corner (A Gingerbread Cafe story)
The Bookshop on the Corner (A Gingerbread Cafe story)
Price: 0.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous read, 1 July 2014
It is fair to say I am a huge fan of Rebecca Raisin and had been waiting (im)patiently for the release of The Bookshop on the Corner for months!

The plot is simple- Sarah is a bookworm who owns a quirky second hand bookshop in Connecticut. She is passionate about romance novels, but never finds a man who compares to the book boyfriends residing in the fiction she adores. Then sexy, confident Ridge Warner, a journalist from New York, turns up on her doorstep- has Sarah finally found someone who can compare to the men in her books?

I found it easy to relate to Sarah. She is a book lover, a dreamer, desperate for her own happily ever after -actually, she is very similar to me! I couldn't make my mind up about Ridge and didn't immediately fall for him, but enjoyed the development of the relationship between him and Sarah none-the-less. Naturally, the course of true love never did run smooth, and at one point I was fuming at Ridge-honestly, my blood was full on boiling!

Books themselves play a huge role in this story. As a book lover, the descriptions of the bookshop were delightfully tantalising- I want to go there and sit in the reading room, losing myself between the pages of a well thumbed book. There were pangs in my heart as I thought about everything I love about books and why I will never, ever read purely on electronic devices. Each individual book has a personality, and is so much more than just a physical object. Raisin describes that beautifully. I also adored how book blogging was portrayed as a community pastime, which is exactly how my own experience of it has been.

If you have read and enjoyed Rebecca Raisin's previous books Christmas at the Gingerbread Café and Chocolate Dreams at the Gingerbread Café then The Bookshop on the Corner offers more of the same in terms of charm, lovable characters that you will genuinely care about (including updates on Lil, Damon and CeeCee- YES!) and heart stopping old-fashioned romance.

This is a delightful story which put a smile on my face and a spring in my step- full of hopes, dreams and most of all, my one true love- books.

A gorgeous read.

600 Loom bands Glow in the Dark
600 Loom bands Glow in the Dark
Offered by SHINE_UMBRELLA
Price: 0.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Not glow in the dark, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Loom bands Glow in the Dark (Toy)
I received my loom bands quickly, but I think the seller either posted the incorrect loom bands (the ones received were more like glittery bands than glow in the dark) or else they are not glow in the dark. My son still had fun with them, but they weren't what we were expecting.

The Boy in the Book
The Boy in the Book
by Nathan Penlington
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars 'An engaging and accessible non-fiction read', 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Boy in the Book (Paperback)
Nathan Penlington was an avid reader of the Choose Your Own Adventure books as a child. When he spots a job lot of 106 of the titles on ebay, he can't resist buying them. Yet Nathan gets more than he bargained for. Within the books he finds pages of a diary belonging to a child called Terence Prendergast. Nathan feels a connection to Terence and becomes desperate to contact him and find out how the angst ridden teen turned out. The Boy in the Book chronicles this search.

I was attracted to this book mainly because of the nostalgic element- I remember loving Choose Your Own Adventure books as a child and thought this would be an interesting look at this revolutionary genre through the eyes of a fan.

How wrong was I? The Boy in the Book is so much more than that. It is a quest, a story of determination and perseverance. It explores the obsessive nature of humanity. It is empathetic, warm and honest. And most of all it is entertaining. Nathan's search for Terence Prendergast is an epic journey full of charm and wit, and is an engaging and accessible non-fiction read. I especially liked how it explores the transition from childhood to adulthood, how things can be easily misinterpreted and that friendships can form in the most unusual of circumstances.

This one will appeal to fans of Danny Wallace and Dave Gorman.

The Second Time I Saw You: The Oxford Blue Series #2
The Second Time I Saw You: The Oxford Blue Series #2
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this so much!, 4 Jun 2014
It is really rare that I read books in a series back to back regardless of how much I love them, but I couldn't help myself when it came to Pippa Croft's Oxford Blue series. I loved the balance of out and out drama and tantalising raunch in The First Time We Met (you can read my review here ) and showed no restraint-I just had to read The Second Time I Saw You right away.

We're taken back to Oxford for Lauren's second term of university. This book delves deeper than The First Time We Met- probably because we are already familiar with the characters. However, life has irrevocably changed for Alexander, and although are plenty titillating sex scenes for the fans of erotica there is also a strong story running through the book.

Without giving too much away we find out more about Alexander's younger sister (who pushes boundaries in the way teenagers are wont) and life at Falconbury, and I loved this. It felt like the series had moved on yet still had all the familiar elements that I loved about the first book. There are secrets and lies throughout and as the story unfolds the links between the characters are more apparent. It seemed that the characters all had to grow up quickly because of events in this book, and I enjoyed finding out more about Lauren's compassionate side.

I'm not going to lie, the ending almost killed me. It is a complete cliffhanger which had me screaming 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOO' at the thought that I'll have to wait for the final instalment of Oxford Blue.

It's fair to say that I'm a fan. Hurry up with part three Pippa, we're all waiting!

How to Win a Guy in 10 Dates: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance
How to Win a Guy in 10 Dates: HarperImpulse Contemporary Romance
Price: 0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars How to Win A Guy in 10 Dates, 28 May 2014
Jane Linfoot is entertaining. That's all I can say. Her writing style is straightforward, easy to read and full of heartwrenching moments and hilarious humour.

There is a wealthy, hot, testosterone filled male lead in Ed, and a strong, attractive, feisty female love interest in Millie. Watching their feelings for each other unfurl as they are determined to resist each other makes for a compelling read, one which as a reader I found a little bit emotional! They always say that writers should take their characters on a journey, and Jane Linfoot certainly does that.

There are hidden secrets, steamy passion and moments where I wanted to grab both Ed and Millie and shake them! But I'm not ashamed to say my favourite part of the book were the last few scenes which left me with a bit of a lump in my throat.

How to Win a Guy in 10 Dates is a typical Harper Impulse read- full on romance, a bit of raunch and a well woven tale. It'd be a great summer holiday read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20