Profile for PhotiqueDotNet > Reviews

Content by PhotiqueDotNet

PhotiqueDotNet "Olie" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Anker PowerDrive 2 (24W / 4.8A 2-Port USB Car Charger) for iPhone 6s / 6s Plus / 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Pro / Air 2 / mini 3, Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge and More (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and powerful charging product, 23 Jun. 2016
I received this item for the purposes of writing a review as part of Anker's Power User program and did not pay for it. I have however bought several Anker products, all of which have been excellent and extremely good value.

This is no different - it is a very good, powerful multipoint car charger. Although my iPhone 6S Plus doesn't have any particular fast charge technology, it charges up noticeably quicker when connected to this, even when I am using my satnav app with the screen on. It also easily charges an iPad at the same time.

I'm using it in a BMW and I have had no issues at all with it fitting in the cigarette lighter (as others seem to have reported). I have however taken off one star (really, it should only be a half, but that's not an option) because, in common with many of these adapters, the adapter has a very bright blue LED on the front face and, because of where my cigarette lighter socket is located, when driving at night it is quite distracting and even dazzling. I have covered the LED with a small piece of electrician's tape, which completely sorts the problem, but I wish manufacturers would have some other way of indicating the item is in use.

Build quality is excellent, in line with Anker's other products, and at the current Amazon price of £6.99 I think this is a great buy.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sennheiser HD 219s Universal On-Ear Headset with Smart Remote
Sennheiser HD 219s Universal On-Ear Headset with Smart Remote

5.0 out of 5 stars crisp treble and comfortable, with an inline mic to boot, 30 Dec. 2015
Very impressed with these headphones, particularly at the incredible price that was on offer as a lightning deal. Punchy bass, crisp treble and comfortable, with an inline mic to boot. Don't think I'd pay the list price for them but very happy with them as purchased.

Anker® 60W 7-Port USB 3.0 Data Hub with 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Motorola, HTC, and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job very well, 30 Dec. 2015
I bought this hub to replace an existing Anker USB3 hub that had developed a loose connection after a couple of years. This new hub functions much better than the old one - connections are fast and reliable and the 3 charging ports are very useful indeed as I can charge several devices at once on my desktop. The design is the normal Anker black, and is utilitarian if not especially sexy; if Anker had made one of their aluminium devices with charging ports then I probably would have got that instead.

None of that stops me being very happy with this device, however, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it as an excellent functional USB hub.

Anker Stereo Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Speaker (A3143), 20W Output from Two 10W Drivers, Dual Passive Radiators / Subwoofers for Bass, 8-hour Playtime, Portable Bluetooth Speaker for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Nexus, HTC and More

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal, 25 Nov. 2015
Firstly, a declaration: I received this from Anker as part of their Power User program. Whilst I did not pay for the product, I am not affiliated to Anker in any way and the opinion below represents my true and honest opinion of the product. I have not been influenced in my conclusions by Anker in any way.

In terms of price / performance, this is without doubt the best portable Bluetooth speaker I have seen. I was in the market for such a speaker recently and investigated various offerings from known Hi-Fi manufacturers (Bose, Cambridge Audio etc.) While theirs were all excellent products, the price of those units when compared to the sonic performance and the fact that the speaker was likely to be travelling round with me and could therefore be damaged meant that I didn't feel comfortable spending £100 - £300 on a travel speaker. The performance of this unit, at this price, means that I am very glad indeed I didn't do so.

Packaging and accessories

The packaging is high class, with a matt finish similar to Apple packaging. Inside are a useful 3.5mm jack cable for connecting a to a headphone socket and a micro USB cable for charging.

The only thing that I would suggest Anker do to improve this product are to provide some sort of travel bag for the speaker, ideally in neoprene or similar. The speaker is tapered and could really do with some protection for when it is being taken around. Even if they made that separately and charged for it, I would buy one because it would be very useful indeed (though ideally it should be part of the package). However, I'm not going to dock a star for that; it's a side issue.

Appearance
The unit is finished in a glossy piano black, with a speaker cloth front and matt black plastic everywhere else. There is a grippy grey rubber pad on the bottom that is reassuringly thick to dampen out any vibration. The finish oozes quality; it could sit happily alongside any of my other more expensive tech. The speaker is reassuringly solid as well, with a weighty feel that gives you a decent clue as to the quality of both the build and the sound you can expect to get out of it. [Edit: I've included a picture to show the unit's size compared to a VW car key]

Some other reviewers complain that the piano black finish shows up fingerprints; that doesn't bother me as they polish off easily with a bit of microfiber cloth and the gloss back finish looks very cool, particularly under lights. After all, the screen of my iPhone is a finger print magnet as well and that's never stopped me from wanting to use it! [Edit: photo now attached]

Sonic performance

First, a short preamble; judging a unit's sound is always subjective and what one listener loves another will hate. While I wouldn't claim to be an audiophile prepared to spend the same on an amp as on a small car, I am no stranger to decent Hifi; my regular headphones are a set of Sennheiser IE-80's and I've got a variety of Cambridge Audio, DALI and other bits of kit around the house. I enjoy my music and record everything at high bitrates so as to avoid the compression noise spoiling the sound.

The bass is ASTONISHING for a unit this size. As a confirmed EDM basshead, I've always struggled to enjoy my music on portable speakers because as soon as anything gets below 150 Hz it all goes a bit Pete Tong. No such worries with this unit; as soon as you turn it on, there's a series of short (if I'm totally honest, slightly annoying) start up jingle that gives you a taste of what's to come. It's amazing that a speaker this small can produce such a deep thud. It does, however, need to be on fairly solid surface as a result.

At the top end, I would say that, compared to other portable speakers, the mid- and high frequencies are very good indeed and this speaker easily holds its own against any of the others. I would say that there are other speakers out there with a bit more definition and clarity, but they cost between 5 and 10 times the price. That is the key metric here; other reviewers have said that this speaker is not as good as Bose's Soundlink Mini, but frankly if price performance is important to you then you should buy this unit all day long and put the 130 quid you'll save on some decent headphones for those times when you really want to enjoy the intricacies of your music.

The speaker is also amazingly loud. I haven't turned it up beyond about 60% yet, but I've not needed to - the sound this produces easily fills a medium size room. What is reassuring, however, is that quality doesn't suffer as you crank it up; even with some fairly heavy bass, there is no annoying deterioration in sound quality.

Customer service

A final mention ought to go to Anker's customer service. Even those few people who have put up 1 star reviews (usually because of a unit failure, which happens to any manufacturer - one pair of pretty expensive (150 quid plus) Bluetooth headphones I have is now on their third set) have universally praised their customer care. The fact that they have the confidence to offer an 18 month warranty illustrates that Anker are confident in the quality and build of the product and I think it really shows.

Conclusion

I have nothing but praise for this speaker and think it will be great for travelling or for using around the house. I recommend it unreservedly and think Anker are definitely a company to watch. If they can produce units of this quality at this price, the other manufacturers are going to have to get more realistic in order to compete, which can only be good for us tech consumers.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Octonauts Gup I Playset
Octonauts Gup I Playset
Offered by You Love a Bargain

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good toy, if not totally perfect., 12 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Octonauts Gup I Playset (Toy)
This is a good toy and my son absolutely loves it. Given that his opinion is the only one that counts, that's good enough for me!

First point is that we initially had the same problem as others with the driver's section flopping down of its own accord (which then causes the sounds and lights to kick off). However, I think the issue was that the two plastic clips which hold the head section in place weren't engaging properly due to being new and stiff. I gave the head section a bit of a push and they now engage properly so the head doesn't just flop down. Small design "flaw" there that will probably cause a few unnecessary returns but actually the design does work, albeit not perfectly. A clip in point at the top of the head would have saved the bother though.

I don't consider the toy to be flimsy at all; it is of decent quality and I would't want it any heavier than it is. It's worth knowing that engaging scout (vertical) mode has to be done with the legs in the shortened state, and the rear legs on ours were initially a bit reluctant to lock down but have now improved after 24 hours or so.

Even though the toy only comes with one figure, the new Kwazii is of a very good quality - better than some of the older ones we have. His snow suit (from the Gup-S episode)looks very good. I think octonauts toys represent good value and this is no exception - you get one (very) big and one small vehicle (which is very cool, incidentally), accessories, an animal and a character . Minor gripes are that the snowball launcher doesn't project very far (unlike the Gup-X slime shooter) and the radar dish and launcher don't always stay on very securely. That plus the head issue mean this is a 4 star as opposed to 5 star review but I am not at all disappointed with the purchase.

Bolt or Screw Down LCD/LED Monitor Vertical Desk Mount (Black)
Bolt or Screw Down LCD/LED Monitor Vertical Desk Mount (Black)
Offered by Cable Mountain

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what it does, 25 Mar. 2015
Excellent quality item - very solidly constructed and easy to install (needed to drill one hole). Cable clip on the arm is a valuable added extra. Very pleased with this bit of kit.

Gissar Tech 30-pin Dock Connector Digital AV Adapter Single HDMI Connect to HDTV For iPhone 4 4S iPad 2 3 iPod Touch 4th
Offered by superb-cable

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, 14 Aug. 2014
Rubbish - didn't work on either iPad 2 or iphone 4.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work fine on iOS 7.0.4..., 31 Jan. 2014
Plugged in and works like a charm on ipad Air running iOS 7.0.4 - no compatibility issues. Just hoping that that remains the case with iOS 7.1...!

VTech Baby Toot-Toot Drivers Deluxe Track Set
VTech Baby Toot-Toot Drivers Deluxe Track Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, 22 Nov. 2013
The whole toot toot system is great and my son loves driving his cars round this track. I think I need another set!

Anker Screen Protector for Apple iPad Air / iPad Air 2 [2-Pack] - Highly-Transparent Anti-Glare Anti-Fingerprint (Matte) with Lifetime Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good screen protector, 22 Nov. 2013
These are excellent - I previously had a PowerSupport USA protector on my iPad 2 and though these don't remove quite as much glare, they actually have better clarity, are a perfect fit, go on easily and have good finger glide (better, in my view, than the screen without a protector). They do show finger smudges a bit, but again are better than the screen without the protector.

At the price paid (£6) these are an absolute steal - they are about 20% of the price of the PS item and as good if not better (due to the clarity). Fully recommended!

Page: 1 | 2